Unusual pub / bar names

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What are the weird and wonderful pub/bar/inn names that you've come across?

When I first went to Glasgow, there was a bar there called The Muscular Arms and another one called The Saracen's Head.

Oxford has The Jolly Farmer, and I used to drink in a pub called The Load Of Mischief.

I also remember ending up the Wunderbar one night in Hamburg.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There are a whole heap of "The Doctor's", "The Office", that kind of thing - handy if you're a sneaky drinker.There used to be a bar in Edinburgh called The Laughing Duck. It's years since I was last there, so I'm not sure if it's still open.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Halifax has a large number of bars so it's no surprise some of them have oddish names.

Economy Shoe Shop (really, it's a bar)
Birdland (alternative music, not a gay bar)
The Foggy Goggle
The Bitter End
The Tickle Trunk
Bubbles Mansion (decorated with shopping carts overhead. Points to who can guess why.)
The Nail And Kneecap
Rock Bottom Brewery
The Split Crow
Taboo Nightclub
Your Father's Moustache
My Son's Place

We also had a Load of Mischief but ours was a strip club.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
There are a whole heap of "The Doctor's", "The Office", that kind of thing - handy if you're a sneaky drinker.There used to be a bar in Edinburgh called The Laughing Duck. It's years since I was last there, so I'm not sure if it's still open.
I think it may have changed hands and have a new name now. It's not one I've ever drank in. Although all the others you've mentioned I've sampled. In Glasgow there's also Fat Boab's (not far off being a cock double-entendre, ie. Fat Boaby). I sometimes drink in The Brass Monkey, Curlers, The Chanter, The Tron, The Butterfly and the Pig, The Golf Tavern...

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is Curlers still open? I used to drink there almost 20 years ago! That brings back memories. The other regular haunts were The Park Bar, The Snaffle Bit and Uisge Beatha. There was another bar down on Woodlands Road whose name I can't remember. Was it The Halt or something like that? They used to do a jazz night on a Thursday and one of the regulars there was a sax player with only nine fingers.

shadow28

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Gillette, I was going to post about the Shoe Shop in Halifax, then saw you had already done so!
BTW Birdland closed about ten years ago - no joke - it's now the CIBC call centre.

My personal favourite bar name is Zaphod Beeblebrox, in Ottawa, Ontario. Still going strong as an alternative club after many many years. The bar's name and some drink names are taken from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" eg. Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster, Slartibartfast, and Bambleweenie 57... sigh... good times.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Two which went under were The Barbary Coast and The No Name. The No Name went on to become a laundromat and I think there was a Chinese restaurant where The Barbary Coast once beckoned me in.

Rawhide is still in existance (although it's never looked like the sort of place I should frequent, I prefer the pleasant atmosphere found over at Julius').

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My personal favourite bar name is Zaphod Beeblebrox, in Ottawa, Ontario. Still going strong as an alternative club after many many years. The bar's name and some drink names are taken from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" eg. Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster,

Ooooh, was it like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick?

I wanted to mix one but I couldn't source the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Without that it seemed pointless. Might as well just get smashed on the Ol' Janx Spirit and be done with it.