Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Whenever I went to the "Builders Arms" I always hoped to meet a rugged sun tanned chippie, with muscled arms, who smelled of saw dust and sweat to hug me and love me and never let me go...

I should sue the owners for false advertising... they were all crusty old plumbers that smelled of sewage!

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In Aberdeen there's:

"The Noose and Monkey" which I have heard various things about. Ranging from it being a transvestite bar, to being "very artistic and non-judgemental".

"The Market Arms" - I didn't know a market had arms...

"db" formerly "Oh Henry's". Infamous gay club. Infamous because there are only 2 gay clubs in Aberdeen, so it's existence makes it infamous. My uncle, who is a bit of a homo/xeno/everything-o-phobe used to be a bouncer there.... which confused me.

"The Monkey House". Though if you've seen the neds in Aberdeen it's actually quite an appropriate name.

"The Tilted Wig". Which is a nice, quiet place to have a pint.

"The Tunnels" which is not the other gay club in Aberdeen (That's "Foundation"), but built in old air raid shelters under the main street. And across from Foundation. Which is also built into air raid shelters.

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of my adjunct college profs, Tim T. at Marist in Poughkeepsie, used to wear a t-shirt from "Avogadro's Number" which I think was in Colorado.

They dilute the beer at this bar til there isn't even a single molecule of alcohol...

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wondered if my post was going to flush out a fellow science nerd. :biggrin1:

Haha. Flushed like a turd, that's me. I also thought it was funny Gillette mentioned the Foggy Goggle, cause thats also the name of a bar in Hampton Bays, NY.

Considering how many bars I've been to in my life i'm ashamed I really don't have a good name to offer up here.... The best I can do is mention a dry cleaners in Rocky Point, NY which is (no bullshit) called "DNA Cleaners". I always thought that was an oddly suggestive name for such an establishment. (I hear Monica Lewinsky goes there alot)

pinspotter10

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
strangest pub name I ever drank in, The Bucket of Blood in Covent Garden. I think they changed the name now tho

There's a bar in Towanda PA, The Wayside Inn, that has been known by the name "The Bucket of Blood" since forever. It was nicknamed that for the fights that broke out there regularly. If anybody on this board has ever heard of it, I'll be impressed.

There's one in Devon called 'The Poacher's Pocket' - kinda olde worlde and 18th Century, with huge wooden beamed ceilings.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
3 spring to mind for me

"Filthy Mcnasty's" in Abderdeen

"The Cockwell Inn" - Can't remember where it was now

"The Dot Cotton Club" in Cambridge

chunderwonder said:
I think it may have changed hands and have a new name now. It's not one I've ever drank in. Although all the others you've mentioned I've sampled. In Glasgow there's also Fat Boab's (not far off being a cock double-entendre, ie. Fat Boaby). I sometimes drink in The Brass Monkey, Curlers, The Chanter, The Tron, The Butterfly and the Pig, The Golf Tavern...

I used to frequent the Tron when I lived nearby :wink: