unwanted antipathy

da_blissmachine: Sorry if my recent frequent posting appears to be a meaningless attempt to boost my own status on the board.... I admit I was modivated to up my post count, but I did this by checking it more frequently and commenting on topics that interested me. Note the many topics I did not post under.... had I been doing this merely for selfish reasons, certainly I would have posted under them too. I feel the "another one tops 1000" has brought out the worst in many of the top posters and hurt the general easygoing comeraudery (spelling?) on the board. I recognize that my posts may have started it, but many other posters had a significant hand. I think it's time we showed our maturity by stopping it....... If a post makes a good point in one line, so what? If a post makes a good point in 1000 lines, so what? If a post is totally irrelevant, long or short, the moderators can delete it. Thank you for your attention.

H8Monga: I don't see the big deal really.  It's not a race and people can reply short or long however they want. It makes it more lively I guess how people post here. If we were having a regular conversation, I don't think we'd all have long speeches and never speak again until the subject is through. There's going to be short remarks, jokes, a little bickering, a little digression... that is how life is or at least what I've experienced. Some like to suck the fun out of everything and make things so rigid it becomes tedious, generally speaking, not just relating to this site. I don't think we need to be stifled here... after all it is general discussion, have fun, relax, talk about pizza, talk about nothing... it's fellowship. If I am wrong, then maybe there should be a ranting category just to let anything out.

However... if things got to this point:

Post 1:
We

Post 2:
Might

Post 3:
H         a          v         e

Post 4:

Post 5:
A

Post 6:
P

Post 7:
R

Post 8:
O

Post 9:
B

Post 10:
L

Post 11:
E

Post 12:
M

Post 13:

Post 14:

:)
... we might have a problem.

da_blissmachine: personally, if a post is interesting or meaningful I don't mind its lenght..... but LONG posts that say nothing are worse than short posts that say nothing..

if someone isnt interested in a post........ DONT READ IT.... someone else MIGHT be interested in it.... as mundane as it may seem to you

ORCABOMBER: Good call guys, I know what you mean, it does get like that on other boards I have been to, where they just end up pilled up with the most useless rubbish imagineable. So if we have a point, better to say it!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
When I was in college and the reading requirements were monstrous I stumbled across a simple trick that got me through some of the most boring reading.

To this day, if I have to scan instead of really having time to read a work, I'll just read the first and last sentences of every paragraph. Once in a while the first sentence is interesting enough to keep me for the whole paragraph.

It's gotten me through a lot of Molly Ivins columns without my blood pressure going through the roof. :D

Pecker

(Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one when he got hit by a bus.)

Maximillian: Umm can anyone tell Me why this topic is going on and on and on? Not only did it clog up Nonys thread, but now it has taken a life of its own in another thread.

Personally, I think repetitive inane posts are just as annoying as short posts at times. Somehow the phrase "suck it up and be a man" seems to fit in here somewhere, hmm.

I wish this board had the ignore user function, I really do because in cases like this where a dead horse has been beaten to death, I would click the hell out of ignore and laugh evilly the whole time I was doing it.

Maximillian

7x6andchg: Hello All -

Since Nony's thread has now branched far, far off from a simple congratulations to another poster...and there have been some hurtful (and not so hurtful) things said in the topic...I've locked it.

Rather that deleting it, I've locked it since there is actually some stuff therein that merits perusal, reading, etc...and some humor, even...in the thread.  It will fall to the bottom, as have so many other before it.

The board will be better off for it, IMHO. I think leaving it with Nony and Pecker's pleasant responses is the way to go. Those who disagree may IM me to death. ;D

7x6&C

H8Monga: I'm still clueless about the fuss... but oh well.. I'll just stay in my corner.

awellhungboi: Much ado about nothing, Hapi.

Paul made a good call locking the thread. Nony and Pecker closed it out with their usual wisdom and class.

mindseye: Eh, if it ever gets to be a real problem, Mark can ask me to stop displaying the post totals. I hope it doesn't get to that point.