Unwanted House Guest

D

deleted3782

So...like, I was perusing the forums here a few minutes ago and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Walking back to the office, I see a 2-foot long black snake on the floor against the wall.

Now, I'm not a big fan of snakes, but I'm not grossed out by them either. Still...to see a black snake in your house as you begin to pass it just inches from your feet...is startling. I had just walked by it seconds earlier and didn't see it!

So I opened a nearby door, grabbed a broom, and using the handle I tried to herd it outside. It wanted to go into my living room, but it was kindly persuaded to go outside. Once outside, it wanted to go back under the house...but I slung it out into the grass where is balled up in a defensive posture making it easy to thread it onto the end of the broomstick. I carried it far back into the woods behind my house...and let it go.

Fuck it...my heart is still racing. I have no idea how it got in...and I'm checking under everything to see if it brought friends. I'll never look at my floor the same way again. :eek:

Yikes! Wont it come back if u just dump it in the woods?

Are they poisonous??

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Did I skip a bit of your post, as I can't see where you admitted "I screamed like a girl" ? :tongue:

That's quite a shocker, ex - but at least you did the humane thing and released it.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha, ha! I actually had a copperhead in my kitchen one day at my old place. I was in the middle of moving and had left the door open as I carried stuff outside to put in my SUV. So I didn't pay much attention to it being in the floor I just stepped over it.

I came back through with another box and noticed it was hiding half behind a bag of dogfood. Panic did set in at that point because I realized what it was and I was pretty sure it was a copperhead though I couldn't see it's head at that time. I had NOTHING there to get it with, not a shovel or broom.

I ended up calling my bestfriend who came over and we managed to get it outside with a 2x4 and a tire iron while screaming at the top of our lungs. I think the snake was happy to get away from us.

Fun times :)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well you know that from now on every night before you go to bed you are going to have to throw the bed linens back to make sure that one did not slither in to your bed?
Sorry I found a tarantula in my bed once years ago and I still do this every night.
Did you scream like a girl? The whole thing came across as very butch to me in your description of the event.

D

deleted3782

Yikes! Wont it come back if u just dump it in the woods?

Are they poisonous??

Not poisonous...and it has quite a hike to get back to the house. It was a good 5 minute walk for me.

Did I skip a bit of your post, as I can't see where you admitted "I screamed like a girl" ? :tongue:

I did NOT scream like a girl. I might have screamed like a guy though...:rolleyes:

Ha, ha! I actually had a copperhead in my kitchen one day at my old place.

When I was about 10, we found (what my mom claimed to be) a copperhead in our front hallway. Of course dad got rid of that one. 20 years later, my family tried to move my mom into a smaller house but she would not leave the old one (that she loved very much). She actually maintained two residences and slept at her old house. One morning she was doing her hair and caught a glimpse of a snake in her bath tub. She moved out of the old house later that afternoon.

D

deleted3782

Well you know that from now on every night before you go to bed you are going to have to throw the bed linens back to make sure that one did not slither in to your bed?

Did you scream like a girl? The whole thing came across as very butch to me in your description of the event.

Haha my bed is on the second floor. Snakes can't go up stairs. Nope, they can't. Its against the rules of nature. Nope.

Until the secret video surfaces, we will never know if I screamed like a girl (or a boy). :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I actually had a copperhead in my kitchen one day at my old place.

Where was the old place? A woman I know has copperheads that come into her garden south of Dallas and she chops them up with a hoe. Been doing that since she was a kid, so it doesn't bother her to have to kill snakes.

idesofmarch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm scared of snakes but not phobic. This is because, I don't know which of them are poisonous and which are not.

I'm phobic about spiders, cockroaches among others. I envy how you fought the situation.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I found a tarantula in my bed once years ago

Where?? Not in NYC I hope. I though I did read years ago that tarantulas sometimes come into the country in shipments of bananas. I approach the banana display at the grocery store very carefully now to make sure there are no tropical spiders lurking! :wink:

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would have been all... TIME TO MOVE! :) I'm terrified of snakes. I wouldn't have been around long enough to discern if it was poisonous or not. lol I would have ran out...found a new pair of pants. *because I would have soiled myself* and started looking for a new home. LOL

*not really...i would have soiled myself then found a way to fling it outta the house*

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Where?? Not in NYC I hope. I though I did read years ago that tarantulas sometimes come into the country in shipments of bananas. I approach the banana display at the grocery store very carefully now to make sure there are no tropical spiders lurking! :wink:

No it was when I lived in the Caribbean. But it was big and hairy and it seemed to scoff at me and I think it could have knocked over furniture and swallowed a pet if it wanted to. Honestly it freaked me out so much I even check in hotel beds if I'm in Alaska in the middle of winter.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
One of the reasons the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex has such affordable housing for the 8th largest metro area in the US is there is no shortage of land. They just keep building farther and farther out, taking over former ranch or farmland. The downside is, people in new houses on previously "wild" land get tarantulas and scorpions in their homes, and poisonous snakes in their garden. I live in a historic (by Dallas standards) neighborhood and those things were eradicated here over 50 years ago. Whew!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where was the old place? A woman I know has copperheads that come into her garden south of Dallas and she chops them up with a hoe. Been doing that since she was a kid, so it doesn't bother her to have to kill snakes.

SouthEastern NC. I find snakes everywhere. And I'm always outside barefoot:rolleyes:

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OH some of ya'll are talkin' spiders now...eeks. Terrified of those tho...BUT after one getting into my bed a couple yrs ago...biting me in my sleep and me almost dying...yah..I have a TOTALLY good reason. Brown recluse are NO JOKE. lol BTW...they hide in dark warm places...build no webs...hunt at night and bed ruffles are just a ladder to your bed for spiders. :) I had no bed ruffles but I kicked the covers off halfway onto the floor that night. I was 24 hrs from dying the dr said, AFTER surgery had been performed. They got all the necrosis out the first time...so I was lucky.

Google Brown Recluse if you wanna be paranoid for the rest of your life. :)

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SouthEastern NC. I find snakes everywhere. And I'm always outside barefoot:rolleyes:

Wow -- the woman I was talking about is from NC. Graduated from East Carolina. Sounds like a snake infested part of the country. Another friend from Virginia had a mom who was afraid of snakes so she made her as a child prune the ivy where the snakes were! However she did insist she take the dog along. :rolleyes:

My mom is deathly afraid of snakes. I remember many times going on "nature walks" as she called them when we were kids. She liked seeing nature -- except snakes. She would scream, go straight up in the air, move sideways 6 feet and come down, I swear. Never saw anything like it, before or since. LOL

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OH some of ya'll are talkin' spiders now...eeks. Terrified of those tho...BUT after one getting into my bed a couple yrs ago...biting me in my sleep and me almost dying...yah..I have a TOTALLY good reason. Brown recluse are NO JOKE. lol BTW...they hide in dark warm places...build no webs...hunt at night and bed ruffles are just a ladder to your bed for spiders. :) I had no bed ruffles but I kicked the covers off halfway onto the floor that night. I was 24 hrs from dying the dr said, AFTER surgery had been performed. They got all the necrosis out the first time...so I was lucky.

Google Brown Recluse if you wanna be paranoid for the rest of your life. :)

Hell who wouldn't crawl into your bed (and bite you!!) if they had the chance?? I can't think of anyone. Ooooooh Baby!