Upcoming Hernia Surgery

pasarefun

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thursday is the day I go under the knife. Have been living with my hernia since October and had to wait due to work. Anyone who has gone through this wish to share with me as far a what they experienced during recovery? I have already been told to sleep in an easy chair for the first night, but not much more than that..
I look forward to anything that any of you can provide.
Thanks!

adam

Expert Member
Media
Which hernia do you have, esophageal or inguinal?
As I know, Eso. is more complicated than ing.

also, if they do laparoscopic surgey, you heal a lot faster than conventional "knive" surgery which i had. NOTE: it was over in less than an hour.. you will love the pain meds, cuz u will need them, and GET HELP!!! my bf was at my side for days afterward, helping me to the bathroom, shower the whole bit. One thing i did learn tho, once you get up and around, walking backwards hurts less than going forward, cuz u dont use that muscle to lift your feet/legs. OH i almost forgot, a few days later my dick swelled up..and not in a good sexy way either, the doc didnt warn me, but said it was normal stuff. oh and the scar is actually dissapearing after 1 1/2" years, which i didnt think would happen. good luck.

rodsmith

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's better than you think, pain wear off after about a week or so. get up and move around as much as possible....dick may turn purple but will go back to normal eventually
email me if you want to talk about it

The Fox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I had inguinal surgery in September at age 69. The surgeon warned me that it was very close to the blood vessel that serves the right ball, and if it was damaged the ball could lose its blood supply and eventually atrophy. Fortunately this did not happen, although that ball turned purple for a week or so.

I was very sore in the incision and adjacent areas. I had oxycodeine, but it zonked me more than I wanted, so after a day I switched to Tylenol. I had trouble getting in and out of bed for a week, and getting on and off the toilet was painful and clumsy.

I didn't drive for a week. In fact, the first time I did it was to go to the surgeon for a check-back. I spent a lot of time in my recliner reading and watching DVDs.

I don't mean to scare you, and I hope you have less pain than I did. You're probably a lot younger than me, and that should help.

Good luck, and I'll be thinking of you,

David Fox

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I had an apendectomy. A few days later later, still in the hospital, I noticed a "bump" in the apendectomy incision. Called it to the attention of my surgeon. He responded with "My god, you've got an incarcerated hernia! We have got to fix that as soon as possible because that can kill you! Eight days later they operated to repair the hernia. I was told to walk a block after I got home. I did that. I never figured that it would be second block to get back home. 'Thought that I would never make it back home. A half block round trip, would have totalled one block. The hernia op made me forget all about the appendix op. Wow!

pasarefun

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Its a inguinal hernia. I actually feel the intestines moving down into my ball sack. I have to lie on my back to ease them back into my body. It has not been a fun few months! I have the surgery scheduled for Thursday am - have to be there at 6am. I suppose they will shave me at that time. I have not been given the script for the pain meds yet so I am not sure what I will get.
Thanks for the info so far! I appreciate it.

steeler_999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had inguinal hernias on both the left and right sides, and had them both repaired at the same time about eight years ago. From the pain standpoint, the first twelve hours afterward were the worst. It felt a little like having the flu and being kicked in the balls at the same time. But it got much better very quickly. Things which will cause discomfort include coughing, sneezing. laughing, and trying to sit up if you're lying down. It's better to sleep in a semi-upright position for the first few days. I had a local anesthetic. Supposedly, there is more pain if you have general anesthesia. Apparently, the local anesthetic has some residual pain killing effect that lasts for awhile after surgery. Some of the prescription pain killers given to people who have hernia surgery have the effect of keeping the intestines from going through their normal muscular contractions, and for that reason they can cause severe constipation. I had that experience and had to resort to drinking prune juice. I felt like I was shitting bricks. What I remember most about the entire experience wasn't the pain, but the general feeling of fatigue. It was several months before my energy level returned to normal. Also, there was a lot of genital swelling, similar to what you would get from vacuum pumping. Most of that went away after about two weeks, but it took about three months before it was completely gone.

Hernia repair is about the most common type of minor surgery, and it's just about always successful, with no significant complications. However, it definitely isn't fun.

The Fox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The surgeon used a small electric razor to shave the affected area. I have extremely hairy pubes (would like to move some of it up a foot or two!). It's been almost four months and the new growth almost matches what wasn't shaved.

As far as constipation goes, I was given a stool softener which definitely helped. But things don't move normally for a few days, which was actually OK with me because getting on and off the toilet was a painful struggle. I have an 18-inch-high toilet seat, so that helped. (That's so my cock doesn't dip into the water... :wink:. Actually, you and I are about the same size.)

Again, good luck. Will be thinking of you Thursday.

oldriver

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Looks like everyone before me has just about covered all possibilities. I had an umbilical hernia repaired and a few years later a different -- bilateral inguinal -- hernia repaired. Both were done in a Day Surgery center and I went home that afternoon. The umbilical hernia recovery was relatively painless, as I returned to work (a desk job) on Monday after Friday surgery. The inguinal hernia recovery was much more painful as I had a 3 or 4 inch horizontal incision midway between my navel and penis. My surgeons prescribed Hydrocodone 7.5 mg. which I took regularly for 3 days for pain, then discontinued completely on the 4th day. Good advice from steeler 999 and The Fox above about the stool softeners -- have some ready to use, as a frequent side effect of some pain killers is constipation. A bit of good news: after neither operation did I experience any swelling, pain, or tenderness in my genitals.

Good luck!

pasarefun

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thanks to all for the great replies/advice... I purchased some stool softner today. I don't know what the doc will give me for pain as I get the script tomorrow after the procedure. I think I am ready....I hope I can sleep tonight. I have to be there at 6am for the procedure to start at 730. I guess they will have enought time to shave me and get the iv started... I am considering wearing a jock under my longe pants and have one set aside to wear to the hospital to keep the hernia in on the way in.
Thanks again for all the support!

thicnjucy10

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pasarefun.. I had the same surgery as you! My hernia was located in the "sack" and was the size of a softball! No worries ...just move around a lot after surgery. The pain meds will help you tolerate your movement. Good Luck!

JJIIZZ

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wish I had found this before you went into surgery. I had Inguinal over 15 years ago. I won't lie, it fucking sucks! Just the bump of the wheel chair over the pavement hurt. The one time I said "fuck you" to my mother was after she made me laugh while I was lying in bed. NO LAUGHING! I agree with moving around...but forget the walking around a block stuff. If you feel you can get up and inch around, do so. Listen to your body. Good luck. I also would have advised you to shave ahead of the surgery...but that's just me.

camchain

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i had the full operation about 10 years ago now. had it done as an outpationt. went in for 9.00am had it done and thay wanted me up and out for 2.00pm. NO F#\KING WAY.
when i sat up after about 3 atemps i can not discribe the pain MEGA INTENCE and i had to get dressed and go for a pee, the toilet was about 3 mters away and it took a good half an hour to get there. when my sister came to pick me up at 4.00pm, i could not get out the chare that thay put me in. she insisted that thay find a bed for me in the main building for the night, well thay did.
she picked me up in the morning and i was off work for 3 month's with it.
i understand that now adays, thay do keyhole sergury, and this is a lot better.

Kolmez8

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a hernia surgery when I was 2 so I cant really remember much only that I would notice a white patch on the right side of my groin.

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've had 2 inguinal hernias fixed. The first one, for medical reasons, I had to wait almost too long to get fixed.
You'll need 3-6 days of rest, pain meds and plenty of fruit to keep you regular. Last thing you want is sitting n the shitter with constipation.
After 6 or so days ease into standing up straight. Do not hunch over. Your abdominal muscles will be a bit sore, but you don't want them contracted too long.
You'll be better than new in 4-6 months

pasarefun

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well I am still alive... Its been 3 days and still sore and puffy down there. I found that the pain meds did not start working right away but finally caught up with the pain. I am now working on cutting down then meds. I have been walk to the john and in fact I took a piss in the recover room restroom.
I have a slight cough but seem to be able to hold a small pillow over the incision so it wont blow out. My testicles seem to be slightly enlarges and very tender. I took my prince albert out for the surgery but have put a smaller one back in so I pee straight.
TV sucks! nothing worth watching. I think I might take a little walk to the back yard and sit in the sun as it is warm today - 84 degrees.
Thanks for all the support and messages!
- Dave

oldriver

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Thanks for checking back in, pasarefun, and I'm glad to hear you made it thru okay. Just thought of something else that may help you: As long as your doctor doesn't advise against it, you may want to pick up one of those elastic belts to wear inside your shorts/ pants below your waist to keep a little gentle compression on the incision area. That may ease the stab of pain you may get when you cough or laugh.

Best of luck!