URGENT! Need Valentines Advice

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Barf Brooks, Feb 12, 2010.

1. D_Barf Brooks

D_Barf Brooks Account Disabled

Be warned, I want real advice, so I have included a (slightly excessive) lengthy back story.

First the question, What should I do for this girl for Valentines Day?

Okay, now the history.

Six years ago I was a senior in high school, I almost started a relationship with a girl (Sarah). We didn't find each other until 2 months before I left for college (she was a year younger than me), and decided that a distance thing wouldn't work, and I we didn't want to wind up hating each other so we stopped short of dating. That said, I never even KISSED this girl, but we knew we could have something special, and the night I left it was very sad. I was still a virgin then too.

Flash forward, I haven't spoken to her in 4-5 years. I have graduated from college, and been forced to move back in with my parents during the job hunt. I call her up to see if she is still around my hometown. She is delighted to hear from me, we talk for more than an hour, and we agree to a lunch date, her parents live down from the restraunt we were at, so we go there and talk till 9 PM (I unexpectedly got to meet her family better than I intended, and play with her younger brothers, who all seemed to like me). I watched the Superbowl with her last Sunday at her parents house... AGAIN, so no "moves" could be made.

Last night I called her, we had previously made plans to meet up tonight with some of her friends for a night out TONIGHT (Friday). Well she just happens to be on the short list with the band Cage the Elephant she told me that she has arranged for me to go with her to see them at a small unannounced show on V-day! Which is great... but a friend of her's (guy, I am not worried about as far as competition is concerned, but a close friend and co-worker... I might add that I am much more attractive haha) is going too.

Now on to the primary issue, on the phone she said she was making v-day presents... she didn't say anything about one for me. But she made a point to mention that she was making some. I am going to meet her at her apartment (away from the parents and family!) tomorrow afternoon.

Should I bring a present? I think I should, but I don't want to be over baring... I want to keep our relationship casual, not OMG I WUV SOOOO MUCH. We both have recently (past 6 months) come out of bad, lengthy, relationships. So I AM scared of getting in way too deep, and I can tell that she is too.

I need a gift that is light hearted, says I really enjoy being with you, is original, and says lets get it on tonight!

Are roses cliche? Should I do flowers at all? How many??!! What other options are there? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! HELP!

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Roses are nice, but something from Victoria's Secret and some candles and massage oil would be a tad less subtle. (This gift works like a charm if you put a certificate in the valentine's card *One free massage* offer expires in 1 hour)

3. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Okay, no panic required. You like her. There is something there, right? Don't worry about too much. Go out to a store, see what you find, what makes you smile when you think of her. All that. If not, flowers are never frowned on. Do something a bit better. She has an apartment? Get her a small flowering plant, use that as a 'house warming' and a V day present. "I was thinking of you, and these reminded me of you. Thought you might like them in your apartment." kind of thing.

Helpful?

Good luck!!

4. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

This is really nice too! :biggrin1:

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I like bj's idea of a plant - maybe a miniature potted rose plant. That way you are sending the 'roses' messages without it being quite so standard / clich├ęd.

As for this - well, you could do that or you could be slightly more subtle and just get your cock out and rub it in her face. :smile:

Seriously nudie - this is a 'is it / isn't it' situation - I think sexy undies and offering to rub her naked body might be a bit more forward than is prudent for him right now. Maybe next year, if things work out for them.

OP - avoid teddies like the plague.

Note - she said she is making presents - perhaps she'd like something made for her. Are you any good at crafty stuff?

6. Vainglorious

Vainglorious New Member

If you're going to give her flowers, give her just a couple gerbera daisies wrapped up nice (i.e. not from the grocery store). It's sweet, says I like you, but I'm not OMG WUV EDWARD CULLEN CODEPENDENT, and it's charming. Sincere, kooky charm is my panty melter. Or give her something funny that shows a lot of thought and that you really pay attention to who she is. My ex gave me a Dora fishing pole he found at the lake because he knew it would make a great toy for my cat. He totally got some. Other guy gave me an orchid. My pulse slowed. He obviously did not know me well enough to know I would kill it. It remains a dead symbol of our dead like for one another. I appreciate it, but it doesn't make me wet. Get her a cheerful geranium. You can't kill those.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

MB I've never been known for subtlety when it comes to cutting to the chase. But I'm going to keep in mind the tactic of just pulling my dick out and rubbing it on their face. That would shave a few minutes off of the mindless chit chat!

8. Tense0000

Tense0000 Active Member

Albums:
    Well, flowers are not light hearted or casual. She might get the wrong impression with flowers. Go check out something small with chocolates. You want just a gesture that you thought of her but not over the top.

9. Tense0000

Tense0000 Active Member

Albums:
    They also sell condom roses on a stem. Now that's funny and to the point. :eek:)

10. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A box of Godiva Chocolates would probably be a good gift if she likes chocolates. You can usually find them in most major department stores. It doesn't have to be a large box. I used to buy Godiva Chocolates at the Peppridge Farm Outlet and it was 50% off what they charge for the chocolates in the department stores.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a box of some kind of chocolate.

11. Tense0000

Tense0000 Active Member

Albums:
    Good choice.

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I dunno - I think chocolates are even more generic and boring than flowers.

Yeah - Godiva are nice - so if you are going the chocolate route get that - but I think if she's making stuff then maybe she'd appreciate a bit more thought going in to it.

Also, mysteryman195, to add to what I said earlier, if she's making gifts then presumably she's making them for friends or relatives - not for her many boyfriends I would guess. In that context she certain won't read too much into you getting her a little something

13. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I figured Sarah is probably making gifts for her friends to cut down on costs. Valentine's Day gets expensive.

I just suggested the chocolate, because that was what worked for me. My husband and I met on February the 11th and for Valentine's Day he gave me some kind of chocolate egg.

The Godiva Chocolates are something that I discovered after I have been married. They are my husband's favorite chocolates.

Some other gift ideas might be a balloon bouquet or even a cookie bouquet. Some girls really like balloons.

Hope these ideas help.

14. B_R_I_E_F

B_R_I_E_F Member

Dude, she got you a ticket (along with a co-worker)... you want a date alone with her, right?

get her a ticket to an upcoming show/concert/performance (think date night) for the immediate future. Wrap it up in a box or enclose it into a valentine card that has the vibe you want it to project.

Oh, get into a salon and get yourself spiffed up to make sure you out shine the competition. Re-member he sees her on a daily basis. Play it cool but let her catch you checking her out.

Have a great time.

15. D_Barf Brooks

Thanks for the MANY responses!

Misslit20:
    Goofy charm IS my game lol. If I didn't try to use that I wouldn't have a chance! I like the daisies, and since you suggested it I like it even better. I was thinking about a SMALL number of light flowers anyway. I agree 12 Roses would be WAY over kill.

To all that suggested a potted plant:
    I did that once before, with my ex. It was awful. She LOVED it when she got it (def got laid), then once we hated each other, and I had all the typical heart break, love sick, no one likes me feelings; I went to her old apartment to visit her roommates (after she had moved out) and I found the Plant setting on a table... dead as could be. It brought up a lot of old feelings, any thing that lives for more than a week implies too much commitment imo.

Chocolates:
    Thanks, but no. Way too much cheese there, no amount of goofy charm can play ANY brand of chocolate up.

B_R_I_E_F:
    I dig the ticket idea, I should have thought of it. I am going to a show soon, next month, and suggested that we should go when we were talking last night. She was down for it pending her work schedule. Also, she didn't buy me the ticket, she knows the bassist, and he is letting us in.

As for the Crafty Suggestions:
    I am pretty crafty, but can't think of anything to whip up on short notice. But, we were discussing music, and I know a band I KNOW she will love but hasn't heard, I am thinking get/burn that album.

Current plan is, Buy small colorful flowers (ala daisies), and to tag along with flowers, in a very casual way, the CD (Like, "And! Here is that band you said you haven't heard before, thought I would get that together for you.). And, get all the details on the Show next month so she can see if her work schedule will allow it. (She has a professional job in a hospital, so scheduling is very important, and takes place way ahead of time)
    And of course drinks! We will be partying hard most of the day and night! Woo yeah!.. Woo!

BilieJean: That would be a nice idea... if I didn't want to go out later that evening lol, and yeah, I think it would be coming on a bit (VERY) strong lol.

One last point. She had promised the guy that is going with us to get him in to a show if she got invited well before I came back home and entered the picture. I have met him before too, he was at the super bowl party. Friendly, and he was discussing some other girl he is trying to date while we were there. So def no worries.

16. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Sorry, but I just about spewed my wine nude! Oh, man....:wink: very nice!

17. D_Barf Brooks

Well, it is almost time! I will let you all know how it goes! Thanks again!

18. B_R_I_E_F

B_R_I_E_F Member

So?.......How did it go?

Draft saved Draft deleted