Urinal Partitions There To Stop Men From Looking At Each Others Cocks

T

T_Lurch

That's probably part of it.

But I'd chalk it up to preserving some people's privacy and modesty. Some guys don't want others to see their equipment.

I've seldom seen urinals sans partitions anyway, though I've heard that in places like Las Vegas they utilize the pee trough.

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just got my Covid vaccine at an old basketball gymnasium that had clearly seen better days. The three urinals in the bathroom had no partitions and were shoulder width apart which would make some guys uncomfortable. They were also set very high on the wall. I’m short at 65” and could’ve rested my dick on the lip of the urinal. In fact, a gentleman who came in while I was peeing commented on how high they were. He wondered out loud how a kid might use the bathroom.
It appeared that the urinals might have replaced a trough. By cramming three urinals into the space I think they were going for efficiency over modesty.

sonicatomic1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I went to Manila 2 years ago after a decade of moving out from there, and all my usual places have been blocked by partitions. The malls are still damn great and better than ever, but those old peaking days are over. Public urination is still a thing but i still end up walking/driving away from those sightings

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A lot of men, I imagine both straight and otherwise, aren't looking to exhibit themselves in such a manner. A partition eliminates a lot of the passive exhibition I imagine a lot of gay and bi men counted upon to get their jollies off. But I dont think its the worst thing, as it somewhat ensures restroom exhibition is an active, consensual thing.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This brings back, memories of a posting I did years ago.

I have designed a few public rest rooms in NY, yes I always planned for a divider if there were multiple urinals. However it was my LPSG membership , that made me go from not just aesthetic partition placement; but tactical as well, After reading about guys thinking it was their duty to check out anyone near by, who lean wayyyyy back to show off the goods, who drop pants / shorts to the floor to use the urinal , to the reach over to assist stories . My designs were bullet proof for privacy . The height / depth ; and even spacing was based on the stories I have read here

Best one was a glass divider, with E -Glass, that operated on a sensor. . The glass divider was clear, until a person stood next to it, then it shaded itself, automatically. . Exhibitionists / pervs would only have 5 seconds only to realize WTF no one can see me / I cannot see anyone

JBrown61

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This just isn't a thing here in the UK, it's extremely rare to see dividers. There's still a lot of trough type urinals over here too, we're just not so hung up on taking a piss here, some bars you're lucky if the shitter even has a door.

I've always wondered to what extent the lack of dividers and openness of restroom stalls was an American thing. Very few other countries I've been to (all in Europe) have those massive, yawning gaps that give a view of everything 2' above the floor and thin-ass walls that transmit every sound imaginable.

Without a doubt, the nicest place I've ever used a public restroom was Switzerland. The stalls there were almost their own-self contained structures and had minimal-contact door handles so you wouldn't be getting all your germs over the handles, nad also had their own mini-sinks, with the main sink in the bathroom outside.

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always wondered to what extent the lack of dividers and openness of restroom stalls was an American thing. Very few other countries I've been to (all in Europe) have those massive, yawning gaps that give a view of everything 2' above the floor and thin-ass walls that transmit every sound imaginable.

Without a doubt, the nicest place I've ever used a public restroom was Switzerland. The stalls there were almost their own-self contained structures and had minimal-contact door handles so you wouldn't be getting all your germs over the handles, nad also had their own mini-sinks, with the main sink in the bathroom outside.
I’ve experienced the same thing all around Europe and even in rural areas of France. While they basically had a hole to piss or poop into, the room was completely self contained with its own sink.

Reactions: OKCSpooge

thongboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Love showing off my equipment but on my terms. I guess that's why I have a problem at public urinals and prefer partitions in between. For more than a few of us, our waterworks freeze up if we're too exposed. I know it's a psychological thing but that's how it is. No problem exposing my cock in a gym shower, or wearing a thong on the beach, or going nude at a pool party, but standing at the urinal . . .?

JBmike

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think urinal dividers came just in time, now that we're living in an age where everyone has a tiny video camera on them at all times. Growing up, I have *never* seen urinal dividers, some places even just had a giant trough. But within the past decade, all new or renovated bathrooms have had dividers installed. Honestly I don't mind at all, I'm a little pee-shy lol. I'm not the type to peek at other guys pissing though, first of all, watching a guy pissing or shitting is the least sexiest thing ever... and if I did like that, I wouldn't peek anyway because I don't feel like getting my ass beat lol... but also, I really don't want guys watching me either.

svrocks

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Privacy seems to be the only reason for it. I'm okay with or without them. I'm at the urinal to do what I have to and that's it. I don't care if others can see my junk at the urinal as long as they're not being creepy, but I do understand that some men feel the need for privacy in order to relieve themselves peacefully.

After reading about guys thinking it was their duty to check out anyone near by, who lean wayyyyy back to show off the goods, who drop pants / shorts to the floor to use the urinal , to the reach over to assist stories . My designs were bullet proof for privacy . The height / depth ; and even spacing was based on the stories I have read here

Best one was a glass divider, with E -Glass, that operated on a sensor. . The glass divider was clear, until a person stood next to it, then it shaded itself, automatically. . Exhibitionists / pervs would only have 5 seconds only to realize WTF no one can see me / I cannot see anyone
You sonofabitch.

Just kidding.

I've been noticing a lot of anti-cruising design, and always had a sneaking suspicion that it was quite intentional. Now I know.

So, I put the call out there for people that enjoy a sneaky look, to the voyeurs and exhibitionists, and the bathroom cruisers, to get into bathroom design to make your mark.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You sonofabitch.

Just kidding.

I've been noticing a lot of anti-cruising design, and always had a sneaking suspicion that it was quite intentional. Now I know.

So, I put the call out there for people that enjoy a sneaky look, to the voyeurs and exhibitionists, and the bathroom cruisers, to get into bathroom design to make your mark.

Ha Ha :cool:

jglam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Partitions between urinals are still very rare here in the UK. In fact you see far more troughs than you do partitions.
Across Europe, it varies a bit. Nowhere is like the US though where you see them in most places.

What I find strangest about American toilets are the stalls you have. They are so high off the ground and have gaps next to the door I could get my finger through. The first time I did my business in the US, I swear I made eye contact with a guy washing his hands at the sink. It's probably the only time in my life I've been poop-shy.

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
Interesting to see that most of the responses here are from North America.

As I've mentioned on other threads, numerous times; as others have mentioned here, in the UK (and much of Western Europe, from my experience) the trend is now towards removing them - or not replacing dividers, where they were originally installed.

In Victorian times, most UK urinals were waist high, elaborate enamel, concave shaped and floor draining - the concave shape virtually wrapped around your body from floor to waist. Then came basic troughs, with little modesty afforded.

In the 1970s, the now familiar wall-mounted 'pot' started to become popular ,when toilet blocks were refurbished, complete with solid, enamel dividers between them. However, the more anti-social members of society found that these were easy to smash (as, to be fair, were the 'pots') - especially during the era of football hooliganism, from the late-60s to mid-80s. Additionally, they require a lot of cleaning. Most toilet blocks (outside of places like airports), certainly in the UK, are unstaffed and only cleaned once or twice a day by travelling cleaners.

Over the last 20 years or so, any new installations and any refurbishments have tended towards wall-mounted urinals, with no dividers. Councils have found it cheaper (and probably more hygienic) to dispense with dividers entirely. As others have said, it's rare to find them now, except in blocks that were refurbished in the 1970s and haven't really been updated since.

Reactions: dpe01
D

deleted300444

I find partitions stuffy. I prefer a more carefree environment. In todays world, we have options, luxuries, and more features - so the install of them will be the norm. It's ok. things change