Urinal Rules

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_hungnate, Jan 27, 2007.

1. B_hungnate

B_hungnate New Member

I was just talking with a female friend of mine and somehow we started talking about bathroom rules. She was surprised to hear that guys have rules about which urinal you're supposed to use. I was thinking about it and it's pretty weird how nobody every really explained it to me or talks about it, but it seems like every guy just knows the rules, like:

1. If possible, you have to go to a urinal between 2 empty ones.
    2. If there are 3 empty urinals in a row, you have to go to one on the end. That way the next guy can avoid having to be next to you.
    3. If the only free urinal is next to someone, do what you gotta do, but then you have to look straight ahead or down the whole time.
    4. It's OK to use the kiddie urinal if using a grownup urinal would mean breaking one of the other rules.
    5. If you have a choice between using a urinal between 2 other urinals that are both being used, or pissing in the toilet, piss in the toilet.

If anyone else knows any other rules go ahead.

2. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    Hahaha, that's so true. You have all the rules covered there. Also, the funny thing is that you don't consciously go through this checklist in your head every time you pee (and neither did you the first time you did). It just naturally is assessed in your mind the instant you enter the urinal area and you know exactly where/how to pee.

3. B_hungnate

B_hungnate New Member

Yeah exactly. That's the weird thing. Every guy knows the rules even though nobody ever thinks or talks about it, it's like it's programmed in our brains or something.

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Well, we know what would be awkward. And two strangers standing side-by-side with their dicks in the hands, blocked only by a porcelain half-wall is just that.
    For most people atleast.

5. JMeister

JMeister Member

6. hushpuppy

hushpuppy New Member

I would stipulate that these are United States rules. Guys overseas seem to have much less hang-ups about having their dicks out where others can see them. I just got back from Munich and they have troughs in the mens rooms in the subways (yeah, usable public restrooms, what a concept) and nobody seemed to mind standing next to someone else while taking a leak. OTOH, American guys are so paranoid that 1) they might even glimpse another penis, and 2) doing so would turn them instantly gay.

BTW, I never use a stall if I just have to pee. I don't care if I break a rule and stand between 2 other guys. I just feel sorry for the poor guy who ate something that disagreed with him and is racing into the mens room to take a dump only to find that all the stalls are full just because some guys are pee shy.:eek:

And don't even get me started about guys who flush with their feet. Ever heard of soap, men?

7. chris4869

chris4869 New Member

Albums:
    I find it amazing how we pick up these unspoken rules. Social grooming?

8. chicagosam

Gold Member

I figure it's the other guy's problem and not mine when at the urinal. You have to wonder why there is discomfort if you are secure in yourself and your sexuality.

9. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I think it's for the sake of the other guy. Just because you don't have any hangups, that doesn't mean the other guy is so fortunate -- secure, well-adjusted, whatever. It might be an American male thing, but guys here do get piss-shy or dick-conscious.

Another rule. Conversation. You keep it to a minimum. If you're standing in line, you might gripe a bit about the line or who played on the field today, but in the act, you just keep quiet.

10. basque9

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is uncanny how accurate the op is with his rules; in fact, when another guy does not observe these unwritten rules and sidles next to me at the urinal , I automatically think " this guy must want to peek at my cock ". That obviously is the American in me reacting and not the German!

11. Matthew

Gold Member

It's all pretty dumb, but I instinctually follow them too. But if I really have to go, fuck it - I will stand wherever it's open, who cares who it's next to. If you can't handle that, you should use the stall - and speaking of rules, if you use the stall, be a enough of a human being not to piss all over the toilet seat. I mean - come on. And here's a rule that's actually important: if there's a line of guys waiting, don't stand there when you're done and buckle up, tuck your shirt in, yada yada. Put your shit away and get out of there. I gotta go, dammit! :tongue:

12. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    i remember when i was in 6th grade the school had not been redone and was old. the restroom had a trough and the toliets had no walls. so you either held it in or pissed beside other guys . when i was in the navy i remember being in germany and the public restrooms.... when i was there guys were jacking off in there also....and no one cared....no police called.....just a man thing.....back in the USA we dont do that unless we are preverted. strange days indeed. :confused:

13. Gisella

Gold Member

wow never thought about existing a kids size urinal...now it makes sense there is one...

To complicate and details..why just not choose 1 to pee and that is it?

Funny many men than know and follow all this urinal situation and still many times leaving the toillet sit up for women...

14. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's what everyone I know does.
    I agree with hushpuppy - these rules seem to be more of a U.S thing.The only rule I have is to avoid the ones with a puddle on the floor. :rolleyes:

15. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think the troughs are a particularly European thing. I remember them in the City Park stadium here in New Orleans and everyone would walk up to em and use them at one, men, boys... it wasn't a biggie back then. Same was true with changing rooms at public pools, waterparks, etc. If that's changed as of late it's because of a cultural change (particularly here in the U.S.) where everyone has gotten "uptight" (remember that word?) about those things and a whole lot more.

Truth is, I have gotten so I prefer to use the stalls. And considering I can go to a clothes-op place and walk around in the buff in front of total strangers, it has nothing to do with prudishness and everything to do with privacy and not particularly wanting to be bothered when taking piss.

16. OKFarmer

OKFarmer Member

I hate the use the toilet rule. I also despise guys who go to the toilets when there are plenty of free urinals available. I detest going to take a dump and finding a) the stalls are all full of pissers, b) some jerk has pissed all over the toilet seat, or c) the only stall left is the one that was purchased cheap when some preschool closed. There are dividers for a reason. Whip that little sumabitch out and use the urinal; leave the stalls for those in need.

17. antedote

antedote New Member

Albums:
    all well and good when u hung like a horse

18. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't piss the seats...don't touch em either...lift them with my foot.

19. basque9

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since I am essentialy hung like a horse, albeit a donkey, I have never reflected upon the feelings of a guy with a small cock! I surmise what you are implying is that a guy with a small cock might prefer a stall because of embarassment?:rolleyes: :smile:

20. osxwrangler

osxwrangler New Member

I find it all rather silly. It never crossed my mind that there were "rules" until I started seeing post like this and that movie on YouTube. I step up to any urinal I please without much thought. It doesn't bother me to be next to another man peeing.

I think men of my age and younger have become too hung up on these things. That's why we have started seeing dividers between urinals, etc. Years ago you would never see that. My grade schools all had a bank of floor length urinals and no one gave it a thought. Public buildings were the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted