urinals in culture

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by rodsmith, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rodsmith

rodsmith Member

Albums:
    What a difference in the way U.S. society acts toward "mens privates" and our "privacy" especially in the bathroom. Attached is a photo of a bank of urinals supposedly at a prestigious institution. Notice how there were no pretensions when it came to urinating: men stood there, totally out in the open and did their business, if anyone was nervous about "size" this was not the place for it, men were treated equally. Now, compare those to the trend of having separators at urinals today so every man is up close and private. Is this kind of equality without judgement another one of the things that our culture has lost over the years? You be the judge.

Attached Files:

2. viking1

Gold Member

We have lost nearly all of our culture. There is very little left. It's all been squandered in search of the almighty dollar...

3. FrankPipeliner

damn straight! god, how i love open urinals and troughs.

4. TitanicJake

TitanicJake New Member

My gym is a hole in the wall but I love it. It keeps out the softies and only true athletes use it. The locker room has a trough in the center of the room by the open shower area. No one gives a shit and you can talk to a guy look across the trough and speak to him eye to eye.
    Jake

5. Meniscus

Gold Member

One of the men's rooms at the Student Center of the University of Colorado, Boulder is like this. Not only that, but wall at the end of the room is a big mirror, so not only can people next to you see you, but anyone coming in can see everyone on display in the mirror. The first time I used that restroom I had to wonder "Who designed this?" and why he would go against the trend for a set-up that afforded more privacy.

There's a local bar with a trough urinal--more like a big sink. The first time I went there my friend warned me about it when I got up to pee. It's sort of interesting that he felt I needed to be warned. I got in there and a middle-aged, trucker type guy was just starting to use it, so I went over and shared it with him, making a joke about how it was my first time where urinating was shared experience. He seemed cool about it and laughed. The next time I was there, I noticed that men seemed to wait their turn before going to the trough, even though it was big enough for about 3 people once. I hadn't thought about it before, but I found myself wondering if I had broken some sort of urinal etiquette by sharing the trough the last time I had been there.

Here's a fun site with tons of pics of urinals from all over the world. I keep hoping to see one that I recognize.

Urinal Dot Net

6. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whose bloody idea was this?

7. headhunter7nch

headhunter7nch New Member

Albums:
    this is the 21'st century...,

Attached Files:

8. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think it's crazy how shy guys are in urinals...in the US or in Germany or the UK or wherever. You can just see how shy and nervous so many guys get when another man enters the room.

That being said, whoever designs bathrooms needs to keep guys who work out in mind when measuring how far apart to place the damn things.

I could give a crap less who's checking me out, but I don't want to have to squeeze my shoulders in between the two guys beside me just to take a leak!

9. pavement

pavement New Member

Where in the toilet is the almighty dollar ?

10. Ali-Pali

Ali-Pali New Member

UK urinals don't tend to have partitions very often.

11. lvprcm

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not really concern either way but now that it is mentioned:

I've observed this as well in the UK.

Also in Mexico most don't have any except in areas more frequented by US tourists.

I agree I don't understand what the big deal it is here in U.S.? U.S. seems to be one of the biggest markets for anything sexual (magazines, TV, music etc.) yet you have all that modesty at the gym showers and urinals.

When I was younger we had open urinals and toilets with no stalls in them, and this is in Texas, then in 15 -20 years time everything has a changed. Not sure what caused that change, perhaps single-parent boys with no fathers around who then grow up insecure about themselves as males?

12. catman

Gold Member

Remember when urinals used to go all the way to the floor (always looked like you could use them for putting)- didn't realize til now they ARE getting shorter and shorter...

I did like the low slung (in the first pic), bet teh floors stayed DRYER (nothing worse that a public urinal where the floor is 'wet'...

as to the odd Dairy Queen urinal.. how unsanitary must that be (esp for the 'bigger guys'...would be like sitting on a toilet and putting your dick on the seat (ugh!)

13. Meniscus

Gold Member

The odd Dairy Queen urinal is a "urinette"--it's meant to be used by women. The concept was unpopular and the company that made them was sold.

Here are other women's urinals.
    Urinal Dot Net Archives

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Here are 2 photos of street urinals in Amsterdam and the UK. They are becoming commonplace in cities all over Europe. For those of you who claim not to be piss shy, if they showed up in the business district of your local town or on your college campus, would you use them without hesitating?

Open air urinals | Guardian Unlimited

Street Urinals - Goofball.com

They have made their way across the ocean and are now in Edmonton and British Columbia, Canada. Is the U.S. next? I'd be amused to see it, but I don't think it would fly. We're too prudish.

15. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've used the ones in the centre of Manchester a few times.
    When they were a new feature guys would get heckled by women having a night out on the town.:smile: Now that they've been around a while no-one takes any notice.

16. thugcock05

thugcock05 Member

One place where guys are never shy and maybe because there are sooo damn drunk most times is at sporting event bathrooms. i am talking like urinals that we liek a huge bathtube in the middle of the room kinda thing. I go to alot of football and baseball games and fellas piss in those things like crazy. Also cuts way down on lines.

17. Meniscus

Gold Member

I like the concept, but they're so damned ugly. Plus, most women I know already complain about how it's more difficult for them to find a place to pee...if these were ever made available in the U.S., I can just imagine the cries about how unfair it is to women.

I like the look of the old fashioned vespasiennes better, although I've heard that they were notoriously filthy and smelled awful.

Anthony's Home Page
    http://www.zenker.se/Liber/Liber_1953/vespasienne.jpg
    http://www.uoregon.edu/~klio/im/re/water/Vespasienne2.jpg
    http://blog.re/me-in-amsterdam/images/photos/2006-09/vespasienne-ancienne.jpg

One replacement for the Vespasienne (which women can also use) is the Sanisette, a modern, self-cleaning, public toilet.

Sanisette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attached are some more vespasienne pics. The last pic is of a modern, high-tech street urinal that "hides" underground when not in use. I have no idea how it works.

Attached Files:

18. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

There are many of us. I'm one of those guys who can go if I'm alone, but the second another guy walks in, I will most likely stop flowing. I will usually just head for the stall from the start to save myself the trouble. If there are three urinals and the ones on each end are occupied, I cannot for the life of me use the one in the middle. I will go to the stall. I may be able to go in the middle urinal if there are dividers that go all the way to the floor. But in those cases I usually cannot fully empty my bladder. There are all different kinds of urinals wherever you go, and depending on the age of the building and whether they upgraded or not. Some are really old fashioned and you can tell they came with the building. I always wondered why they don't have urinals in houses. It would certainly save money on water.

19. midlifebear

Gold Member

My favorite urinal was a "trough" type in a Long Beach landmark tavern called Joe Josts. I haven't been there since 1980, but I hope it still exists. They kept the trough filled with buckets of ice from the ice machine. On a hot Long Beach day it was great to let it hang out, peeing over the cool ice and showing off a bit for those who had to pee as bad as me. Anyone from member of LPSG live in Long Beach and know if that sublime little tavern with all the snooker tables in the back still exists?

Ahh, yearning for the days when men were men and pissing was a communal affair.

20. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, I can't use bathrooms at sporting events...I'm too piss shy. Being so close to other dudes while they're pissing kinda freaks me out for some strange reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted