Urologist Verifying Symptoms?

chipster: I start out peeing normally but the last half of the job is very slow and takes a while to get all of it. If I go to a urologist for an evaluation, I doubt I will be able to demonstrate the symptoms. I can barely pee at all if someone is watching. How will he be able to check my normal flow rate? Any of you guys see a urologist? How do they verify such symptoms?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
He'll probably do the following (not necessarily in this order):

1. Urine specimen

2. Blood specimen

3. Prostate exam

4. A million questions about diet, exercise, medical history.

Make an appointment. Now. You won't regret it.

tomarctus: The urologist will have you do a urine flow test. You have to tank up beforehand with a lot of water. Then you get an ultrasound of your full bladder, pressing against it. That one is really fun when you're ready to burst. Then you piss it all out into a funnel with a bucket underneath and the flow rate is measured. Then you get another ultrasound empty.
My urologist was astounded at my capacity. He asked me if I always piss that much. I said "no, I just drank a lot of water like you requested". I can hold plenty but I usually piss every 2 hours.
As Pekcer said you will give a urine specimen and blood specimen unless you already had that done at your internist. Plus all the questions about diet, and so forth. I agree with him. Make an appointment. At least it might put your mind at ease if nothing serious is going on.

tomarctus: I had to go to the urologist because I was having erection and libido problems. I even had a test to measure my nocturnal erections. It was two straps around my cock connected to a little computer strapped to my leg. That was for three nights. No nightime erections. :(.
My internist increased my testosterone supplement. I require hormone replacement. My nuts don't make enough anymore due to hiv. Once my testo level was back in the normal range my erections came back. Boy am I glad. :)
In addition to the urologist it is wise to have a good internist (regular doctor), even if you don't face the health challenges I have for 24 years. The internist can check your overall health status more thououghly than an urologist.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's great to read postings that address the real purpose of this site. Pecker and tomarctus have just given valuable information to a fellow member; information which can help him tremendously.

And, to think, along with valuable advise, we get to indulge and enjoy lots of titillating asides! 'way to go, guys.;D

Luke

tomarctus: I keep thinking of new things.
Once a man is past 40, and certainly 50, lots of conditions can start to appear, "men's problems". Enlarged prostate, reduced blood flow to the penis, erectile dysfunction, frequent urination, urine leakage, loss of libido, hormone changes. I strongly believe in getting prostate exams at this age, no matter what. If you experience the other conditions don't be shy and don't wait to get them addressed. Sometimes it takes awhile to track down the cause of the problem. It can be illness, medication side effects, hormonal, depression or stress. Just don't wait.
My problems started when I was only 46 which I don't consider old. I have friends in their 70's and 80's who have no problems with sexual performance, so I'm not ready to have 30 dry years.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
I too, think this is one of the best things we do around here---encourage each another to seek medical help when it's necessary.... if only for the sake of peace of mind..

Sometimes, it just helps to talk amongst us guys about "common problems and common concerns" --serious or not.

For whatever reason, we men can be pretty stubborn when it comes to seeing a doctor!

...particularly for "male" related reasons. ;)

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
chipster,

Since you and I are of similar age, it's not all that totally uncommon for guys (like us) to just develop a common 'ole UTI (urinary tract infection) for no particular serious reason. While men aren't as proned to them as women, they do occur however, rather quickly,-- unannounced.
Same symptoms as you mentioned and readily cured with meds. over a few days.

So, it may NOT be what you could be thinking, here!
(i.e. prostate prob.) ;)

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You're so right, benderten, but hopefully with tv shows like 'Staright Guy with the Queer Eye' (or something to that effect), we're beginning to change and might even start going to the doctor when the need arises. :eek:

Luke

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=RoysToy link=board=health;num=1074007661;start=0#8 date=01/14/04 at 16:25:02]You're so right, benderten, but hopefully with tv shows like 'Staright Guy with the Queer Eye' (or something to that effect), we're beginning to change and might even start going  to the doctor when the need arises.  :eek:

Luke[/quote]

You mean to say that part of the makeover on "Queer Eye" is a prostate exam? ;D

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Don't necessarily know about the "TV show connection" to all this..... ;)

The reason I mentioned what I did was to help ease Chipster's mind (perhaps) as what he's describing as symptoms often "hints" of a prostate prob--particulary when guys get close to fifty....(like I certainly am). Inability to completely void the bladder is a frequent complaint when the prostate is "acting up". It swells and "squeezes down" on the urethra, thus blocking the flow. From age 50 onward, guys are encouraged to keep check on the prostate.

I'm an administrator of a health clinic and lately, several guys getting close to my age bracket have been in with similar "slow urination" type symptoms. In reviewing clinic services break-outs (where the diagnosis codes are reviewed during a given day as to what treatments were listed), I noticed several urinary tract infection treatments for these men. While I seldom meet our patients in my department (unless there are administrative related matters with them) I do review the kinds of patient cases we see from day to day and I will ask questions to better understand either for clarifying matters at my desk, or, I simply want to learn more about health matters from the doctors! Seems I learn something new everyday!

I questioned one of the MD's who told me that men are not as exempt from experiencing UTI's (like I had thought.--I knew women especially experienced them due to the nature of how their systems "are built".)

Anyway, the MD assured me UTI's DO happen in men and they can be treated easily. Sexual activity does NOT necessarily cause these occurances in men, either.
A number of other "culprits" can make them flare up. They're not (usually) a serious matter to treat, nor diagnose.

Over a number of years now at this job, we probably have had many of these kind of cases and I paid them no mind. Having read Chipster's inquiry this week, I simply recalled what I had noticed only a few days ago at work.

chipster: Wow, what a great response from all of you! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such complete and thoughful info (and even stay on topic, lol). I read each reply carefully and even spoke to Tomarctus on the phone. This is truly a "Support" group.
Any suggestions on the best way to find a good urologist? My online searches have been less than successfull.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Chipster, you and others of us here have been "jumping to conclusions" that it's indeed a urologist you need to be going to.  But, maybe not--- initially.

If your symptoms should prove to be a minor concern, a regular family doc  or internist can run a few tests (in-office) and determine "some" direction for getting you "on the mend".  From the point of that "first" visit with a regular doc, SHOULD you then need to go to a urologist, you would be given further options, directions (and ideas) "where" to go next.

If it's a matter of not having health insurance or otherwise not being able to afford medical care, there are free clinics in a number of areas around the country now whereby one can get an initial exam first, then be referred to a urologist from there if necessary.  Many of these free clinics can arrange services beyond the clinic site proper at no cost (to financially qualifying patients with low incomes/no health insurance) where exams and treatment is available pro-bono (donated) or available by a sliding scale fee to meet one's ability to pay. Medications are also available with low co-payments in many free clinics.   And, of course, many parts of the U.S have local and regional health departments with regularly-scheduled medical clinics to provide care to those unable to pay.

Any of us (men) needing to get "checked out" for a medical problem should make the effort and not fret (too much) over the details of "getting started"   Seek the medical attention and find out what's going on.
Get this worry off your mind.

It's quite easy for us to imagine the worst when most likely instead,  it turns out not to be that way at all.

Tender: Chip,
what you said about being pee shy - not being able to go in front of someone is VERY common.
its not odd at all.

but if you drink alot like they request, you will have to go so bad by the time you get in there, you probably will be able to go.

i know sometimes i have trouble going if anyone is around.

Tender

James249620002000: I was so glad this post was here. I am having similar problems and seeing urologist now.

Last Thursday, I developed a high fever, couldn't eat, vomited. I went to my MD, and he diagnosed me with flu even though I told him I had a burning senstion when I urinated. He stated that the burning sensation was proably due to dehydration and extremely concentrated urine.

The next morning, I awoke unable to piss. I went to the urologist and discovered the enlarged prostate problem. Also, after finally getting a trickle out, I discovered that I had the urinary tract infection.

I would recommend going to the urologist first. If I had started medication the day my MD mis-diagnosed me, I could have saved myself a lot of pain and grief.

Thanks guys for all of these posts. I am still on medication (Cypro), and I was looking for information from others. Thanks again.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We often think doctors are infallible and regretfully learn the hard way, like you did, James, but thankfully mistakes are few and most of us don't have to suffer unnecessarily. I hope the Cypro does the trick, buddy, and thanks for letting us know.

Luke