US Air Flight down

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a miracle that no one was seriously hurt. The plane is sinking into the Hudson river.

well, miracle, and some fantastic pilots! :smile:

they are really heroes...to lose both engines, yet to still glide the plane down in a place as congested as NYC, to keep it from crashing into the city or other populated areas, is absolutely amazing.

these pilots should be lauded all over the news!

true herosim...

not to mention the great job done by the emergency services who responded.

they will probably have to drag the plane out of there though, it might pose a problem to traffic through the Hudson... (not to mention environmentla concerns with full tanks of jet fuel etc.)

all in all though, a happy ending!

(except for the birds)

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The rescue effort was absolutely amazing. the pilot and crew did an amazing job of landing the plane in the river, and evacuating everyone from the plane safely. not to mention the boats and ferrys that immediately came to the rescue. thank God a more cataclysmic disaster was avoided.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Check out this video about a plane that went down near Winnipeg, MB. I was just flying over the area when the show came on so I watched it :p It's absolutely crazy what the pilot does to slow the plane down mid-air without any hydraulics. Several 7-8 minute long clips, but I think it shows the whole episode.

Mayday : Gimli Glider

They continued using the plane that crashed until January 2008!

I have a lot of faith in pilots and just how much it takes to actually bring down a plane in a fatal matter.

Also, on behalf of Canada, sorry for the geese :(

boobie_luvr

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The ferrys were the first responders in this case and the plane is being supported somehow by tugboats who are keeping it from completely sinking to make salvage and investigation easier for the NTSB.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it is so cold today here!!! Couldn't happen on a worse day!

Well apparently it couldn't have happened on a better day. They are saying it is easier to do a water landing on cold smooth water, as it acts much more like a runway than warm choppy water, which can cause a plane to do cartwheels.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm watching it on tv.........The jet hit a flock of geese and "landed" in the Hudson River.......It is in "one" piece and did not break apart so hopefully everyone is ok....

Yeah... not make light of this.. but pretty remarkable circumstances... vs 30K feet above and going down, vs. a few hundred feet, and engine failure.

Given the thousands of daily flights that go off with no hitch.. I hope there is no congressional posturing that comes out of this, ...that the airline industry needs to do more about preventing this, and the mainstream media attempting "to find answers on HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN????".

Still the safest mode of transportation. 150+ ppl die daily on US roads. Stay sharp out there ppl.

Good luck to those in the plane...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well apparently it couldn't have happened on a better day. They are saying it is easier to do a water landing on cold smooth water, as it acts much more like a runway than warm choppy water, which can cause a plane to do cartwheels.

yes but i was referring to the cold water and air had the people gone in the water or been trapped in the plane if it was underwater.

(i wrote that when reports first came on and nobody knew what was going on)

i was remembering that terrible Air Florida accident in Washington DC in early 1982 in the freezing cold when the planes wings were covered in ice and it was a snowstorm and it hit a bridge and crashed into the Potomac, and i just remember all the ice and the freezing cold...

terrible

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The ferrys were the first responders in this case and the plane is being supported somehow by tugboats who are keeping it from completely sinking to make salvage and investigation easier for the NTSB.

amazing how pilots (tug pilots that is) can dive in and just try and manage... without bureacracy and 300 page guidelines on how to do keep an aircraft afloat... don't think, just do. fantastic.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah... not make light of this.. but pretty remarkable circumstances... vs 30K feet above and going down, vs. a few hundred feet, and engine failure.

Given the thousands of daily flights that go off with no hitch.. I hope there is no congressional posturing that comes out of this, ...that the airline industry needs to do more about preventing this, and the mainstream media attempting "to find answers on HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN????".

Still the safest mode of transportation. 150+ ppl die daily on US roads. Stay sharp out there ppl.

Good luck to those in the plane...

I don't really think anymore will come of this, birds particularly gulls have been an ongoing source of problems at the NY airports.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
well, miracle, and some fantastic pilots! :smile:

they are really heroes...to lose both engines, yet to still glide the plane down in a place as congested as NYC, to keep it from crashing into the city or other populated areas, is absolutely amazing.

these pilots should be lauded all over the news!

true herosim...

not to mention the great job done by the emergency services who responded.

they will probably have to drag the plane out of there though, it might pose a problem to traffic through the Hudson... (not to mention environmentla concerns with full tanks of jet fuel etc.)

all in all though, a happy ending!

(except for the birds)

Could'nt have said it better....those pilots are true hero's!

Wow. I'm just so completely proud of New York yet again. The Coast Guard, the NY Waterway Ferries (commuter boats), and even the Circle Line tour boats came to the rescue. Just miraculous! Ordinary people putting themselves in harm's way for strangers. I'm just blown away.

Amazing crew on that plane.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
now that everybody's safe, i'll tell my joke:

rescue divers initially reported they had 5 fatalities, but they turned out to be mob hits.

hudson river....get it?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't really think anymore will come of this, birds particularly gulls have been an ongoing source of problems at the NY airports.

Don't underestimate the power of governmental armchair quarterbacking, but I hope you are right?

Remember flying out of Anchorage.... and a good sized bird getting sucked in on the tarmac... going back to the gate... checking stuff out... and taking off again.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
now that everybody's safe, i'll tell my joke:

rescue divers initially reported they had 5 fatalities, but they turned out to be mob hits.

hudson river....get it?

appended version....

rescue divers initially reported they had 5 fatalities, but they turned out to be ACLU lawyers. upon returning to the rescue barges remarked... "we didn't find any humans".