US Circumcision Rates Plummet

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
In the NY Times, an article dated Aug. 17, 2010 states:
U.S. Circumcision Rates on the Decline
By TARA PARKER-POPE

The rate of circumcision among American baby boys appears to be declining, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Roni Caryn Rabin reported for The New York Times that the new numbers were released without fanfare last month at the International AIDS conference in Vienna by Charbel E. El Bcheraoui, a C.D.C. researcher.
The presentation was not covered by any mainstream news media, but a report by the news service Elsevier Global Medical News, along with a photograph of a slide from the presentation, quickly made the rounds of the blogosphere.
The slide portrays a precipitous drop in circumcision, to just 32.5 percent in 2009 from 56 percent in 2006. The numbers are based on calculations made by SDI Health, a company in Plymouth Meeting, Pa., that analyzes health care data; they do not include procedures outside hospitals (like most Jewish ritual circumcisions) or not reimbursed by insurance.

What do ya'll think?

B_jack001

1st Like
Media
Great! America is following the trend of the world. At least at one case!

In Europe we haven't any history of circumcision and we are pretty well off!

S

SirConcis

The last sentence is the most important. The statistic excludes most circumcisions which are now done separately. So it is a useless statistic.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Oh for crap's sake.

Can we have a Circumcision Forum already so we can at least assemble all the inevitable vitriol in one spot?

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Oh for crap's sake.

Can we have a Circumcision Forum already so we can at least assemble all the inevitable vitriol in one spot?
Either that or a Sticky circumcision thread, so people could post in that rather than creating a new thread whenever something comes up. Trust me, even the intactivists get annoyed at posting the same study a million times to explain what they're talking about.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
I didn't start this thread as a circumcision debate. All I wanted to know is what you thought about the sudden drop, what brought it on and what this change will bring.

The mother of Mario Lopez's baby was worried that if it were a boy and left uncircumcised like Mario, he would get teased in the Lockerroom. If in '06, about 50/50 were circumcised and now only around 30/70 are cut this should not even be an excuse.

I hope the change will bring more tolerance to people who are different. If there is more diversity then there will be less adversity.

BTW, what I have read, the circumcisions done outside the hospital in the post partum period are negligiable

S

SirConcis

Uncut Southern Boy, I would be interested in knowing more about the document which claims that circs done outside of the statistics being counted are negligible.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
According to Weiss et al. an estimated of only 5-7% of uncircumcised newborns in the USA will be circumcised in the postneonatal period for purely medical reasons.

Weiss*HA, Quigley*MA, Hayes*RJ. Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.*AIDS*2000;14:2361–2370.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Jeers to me for keeping this thread alive but I have a friend (straight) Doctor friend.
Somehow circumcision was brought up in a discussion the other day. I asked him if he saw a decline in the practice to which he replied "only baby girls." Then he stated infant circumcision in America is still on the rise.

And uncutsouthernboy, you don't state your sexual preference, but I'd do you in a minute. :tongue:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In the NY Times, an article dated Aug. 17, 2010 states:
U.S. Circumcision Rates on the Decline
By TARA PARKER-POPE

The rate of circumcision among American baby boys appears to be declining, .

What do ya'll think?
I think, hell, I know there are several threads about this already. Mr.Searchy is your friend and he likes being used. ^^^^^^check that Search link in that line up there^^^^^
i think, please not another circumcision thread!!! this study has been posted and cussed and discussed on numerous other threads.

and by the way, the decline has been in effect a while already.
:banghead:
with 80 new threads scheduled for today:biggrin1:

I didn't start this thread as a circumcision debate. All I wanted to know is what you thought about the sudden drop, what brought it on and what this change will bring.
Right, this thread was simply factual.:rolleyes:

and by the way the decline has been in effect a while already.

ucsb said:
The mother of Mario Lopez's baby was worried that if it were a boy and left uncircumcised like Mario, he would get teased in the Lockerroom. If in '06, about 50/50 were circumcised and now only around 30/70 are cut this should not even be an excuse.

I hope the change will bring more tolerance to people who are different. If there is more diversity then there will be less adversity.

BTW, what I have read, the circumcisions done outside the hospital in the post partum period are negligiable
:confused:

According to Weiss et al. an estimated of only 5-7% of uncircumcised newborns in the USA will be circumcised in the postneonatal period for purely medical reasons.

Weiss*HA, Quigley*MA, Hayes*RJ. Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.*AIDS*2000;14:2361–2370.
alrighty then:rolleyes:
and by the way, the decline has been in effect quite a while already (as has been discussed ad nauseum in at least 50 threads.

Last edited:
S

SirConcis

Uncut southern boy, the 5-7% post neonatal "for medical reasons" circumcisions are for people left uncut at birth and need to be cut later on.

Baby circumcision are not done for "medical" reasons, they are done for prevention/looks/social reasons. (jews do their circumcisions outside of the medical system, so "religious" reasons would not be counted anyways).

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i think, please not another circumcision thread!!! this study has been posted and cussed and discussed on numerous other threads.

:banghead:

What tgirlsrgreat said.

Oh for crap's sake.

I think, hell, I know there are several threads about this already. Mr.Searchy is your friend and he likes being used. ^^^^^^check that Search link in that line up there^^^^^

and by the way, the decline has been in effect quite a while already (as has been discussed ad nauseum in at least 50 threads.

The fact that you guys feel compelled to click on this thread and then whinge about there being too many threads on circumcision is indicitave that you have strong opinions on it, and possibly unresolved issues regarding your own circ status.

What is it that you feel is wrong with discussing this issue? If you are truly ambivilent about the topic, why don't you just stay away.

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Prevention is a belief, but it is not borne out in scientifically designed studies.

Research findings from three population-based random surveys of men performed in Australia, the US and Britain have shown relatively consistent results and no difference in the proportion of circumcised
and uncircumcised men reporting ever being diagnosed with any STI, bacterial STI, or viral
STI; and no association between circumcision and gonorrhoea, genital chlamydia, syphilis,
non-specific urethritis, genital herpes, genital warts, or trichomonas.[15, 68, 69] (Level 2+)

http://www.racp.edu.au/index.cfm?objectid=65118B16-F145-8B74-236C86100E4E3E8E

Here's another medical opinion, from the Australian island Tasmania.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0sXQCQ&usg=AFQjCNFEGqL3Y4SaDt0XIGC6Nq4xpEi-og

Prevention is a myth, and has been manipulated by poor science, in the three South African studies, by people with an agenda. Daniel Halperin is local, and he emulates his grandfather, who was a mohel.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
The fact that you guys feel compelled to click on this thread and then whinge about there being too many threads on circumcision is indicitave that you have strong opinions on it, and possibly unresolved issues regarding your own circ status.
Thank you, Dr. Freud. Wouldn't you like to at least examine the patient before leaping to your analysis? :rolleyes:

What is it that you feel is wrong with discussing this issue? If you are truly ambivilent about the topic, why don't you just stay away.
I'm not ambivalent at all. Did I say there was anything wrong with discussing the topic? Thank you for jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. I am well educated on the issue, and I hold definite opinions on it. I think it is a very important, serious topic for discussion, and judging by all the interest and emotion these threads generate, many feel the same. However, I would prefer people be educated and discuss it as civilly as possible. I also find the redundancy in the proliferation of new threads covering old ground to be tiresome.

I said exactly what I meant to say in my post:
Oh for crap's sake.

To translate for you: I really think there should be a separate Circumcision Forum - since this is an extremely popular topic of discussion, it goes directly male phallic identity, and it's probably the most contentious topic on the board. If there were a separate forum, just maybe people would be curious enough to read some of the prior discussions before mindlessly introducing new threads along the lines of "Hey, I'm thinking of getting cut? [Or my friend wants to get her baby boy cut, etc.] What do you guys think? What are the pros and cons?" I also think posters should do a simple title search before introducing new threads that are completely redundant and have been covered extensively, such as this one introduced three months ago with 180 responses:

So again, I thank you again for your analysis, but I said exactly what I meant to say.

No subtext, subconscious or otherwise.

Last edited:

tyrianruler

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My fiance is in the medical industry and this was brought up since one of the units she's in is OB/GYN and the Obstetrics unit.

They say that some of the reason why it's going down is the influx of people that normally don't get circumcisions done (europeans, hispanics, etc.) aren't getting them done. The other reason is that some insurance companies have stopped paying for it, so more people are not opting to get it based on the expense (since deliverys can be pretty pricey even with insurance).

On a personal note, I was born in the US and am uncut. I'm not super duper for or against it. My personal preference is for not getting it done, but I'm not going to stop people that want to get it done for their children. When I have children, I will not have it done to any sons that I have, so for me I think that it's a good thing. Maybe being uncut will not be so much of a stigma now that the rates of cut vs. uncut could possibly be more even.

bigboy190

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
from a guy who lives in the UK, i have to ask, why do the US have this thing about circumcision. just an interested spectator.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media

Well sir, the reason there is a difference here is the drop is dramatic. From 56% to 33% in 3 years is a huge drop. Before, the decline has been slow.
Why the huge drop?