US Democrats - Clinton/Obama reconciliation?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by visualalert, Mar 6, 2008.

1. visualalert

visualalert New Member

At some point there's going to be a Dem nominee and we'll go through that traditional "party unity" exercise, where last week's evil enemy (my preferred candidate's opponent) becomes my best friend all of a sudden. Both parties do this phony ritual when needed but this year it's all about the Democrats.

Thing is, I read a lot of blog postings on the left and right and the comments sections can be interesting. I saw a LOT of hysterical, mean, nasty, viscious, irrational vitriol on a couple of sites today, all from Democrats. Some of them characterized Clinton as the embodiment of all evil, others characterized Obama as a clueless grinning minstrel (the poster's word, not mine) who has gotten in way over his head.

This kind of mindless nastiness is old news when Dems talk about Repubs (see e.g. plenty of examples on this site or go read some posts at DemocraticUnderground.com). What struck me today was the absolute hatred that some Hillary fans have for Obama, and the corresponding (if not even more extreme) hatred that Obama fans have for Hillary. Deep and passionate hatred, and lots of it. I'm also seeing sporadic reports of violence between supporters of one or the other (Drudge has linked to a few over the last couple of weeks).

If you're a Hillary supporter, are you going to be able to suck it up and enthusiastically support Barack if it comes to that? OTOH, if you're a Barack supporter, will you be able to enthusiastically support Hillary?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I am a rabid Obama supporter but will of course vote for Hillary should she somehow get the Nomination..cmon dems, the alternative is McCain!

3. SteveHd

Gold Member

The ultimate "suck it up" would be for one to choose the other as a running mate.

The hate emotion is ridiculous. To be so intense with such emotion is something I can't relate to.

4. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

IMO, Hillary supporters will support Barrack more than Barrack supporters will vote for Hillary. This is because Hillary supporters are democrats who will support the democratic nominee in the end; whereas Barrack is drawing a lot of independent and cross-over republican support and these voters will find McCain more to their tastes than Hillary.

Also, if for some reason Clinton does beat Obama for the nomination don't discount the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton making this into a racial discrimination issue.

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bingo. I'm a supporter of Barack Obama, not of the Democratic party. I feel no sense of fealty or solidarity with them. If he isn't their nominee, then I will not vote for Clinton.

In such a scenario, I will more than likely vote for the Libertarian candidate.

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I'm undecided at this point but if the election were today and I was forced to vote I would vote in this order
    1.Obama
    2. McCain
    3. Clinton

The majority of polls, not all, indicate the rest of the country feels about the same way. Obama over McCain. McCain over Clinton.

I wouldn't mind an Obama/Clinton ticket, though that match wouldn't be my favorite. A Clinton/Obama ticket I would probably take over McCain, but am not sure.

I think reconciliation is possible but the longer this drags out the harder it will be and at this point it's looking like it's going to go straight to the convention.

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems like an Obama/McCain ticket would be like oil and vinegar when it came to the war in Iraq

8. Corius

Corius New Member

We've seen this kind of thing before among Democrats, but I have learned over many election cycles to see some sense arising between the contenders. I was pleased with Hillary's acknowledgement that Barack is a very respectable candidate for the presidency. Obama needs to repeat more often that in no way does he see Hillary as the threat some super-supers see in her. Have them go after McCain to show that they understand the threat we have to deal with in the '08 election. I will keep my fingers crossed.

9. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

I posted this link earlier... but it's pretty good.

The guy makes an interesting point about what the hype is all about for doing a re-election for Florida and Michigan.. The hype being the Republican governor of Florida wants the DNC to Pay for it. 25 million (somehow to drain the Democratic now for a redo that was their fault, to put the dems farther behind the general election)

Election 2008: Presidential, Senate and House Races Updated Daily

10. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

She has too much ground to cover...she would have to win at least like she did in Ohio in every remaining primary to make a case that the nomination was hers by pledge delegates.

Even if she won in Pennsylvania, she would only net about 10 delegate votes...
    which is the total net she got out of those 3 states 2 days again. She's at least 100 pledge delegate votes behind right now.

What she's planning to do, drag it out to July and insist Florida and MI be seated will just hurt the democratic party and "POLARIZE" if there are any shenanigans about who robbed them of their vote w/in the party.

11. Supersized

Supersized New Member

If Obama lost I'd be happy to vote for Hillary. I like her alot.

Draft saved Draft deleted