US Drug Czar calls pot-growers 'terrorists'

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by burns1de, Jul 17, 2007.

1. burns1de

Gold Member

What a joke:

The nation's top anti-drug official said people need to overcome their "reefer blindness" and see that illicit marijuana gardens are a terrorist threat to the public's health and safety, as well as to the environment.

John P. Walters, President Bush's drug czar, said the people who plant and tend the gardens are terrorists who wouldn't hesitate to help other terrorists get into the country with the aim of causing mass casualties. Walters made the comments at a Thursday press conference that provided an update on the "Operation Alesia" marijuana-eradication effort.
    "Don't buy drugs. They fund violence and terror," he said.

After touring gardens raided this week in Shasta County, Walters said the officers who are destroying the gardens are performing hard, dangerous work in rough terrain. He said growers have been known to have weapons, including assault rifles.

"These people are armed; they're dangerous," he said. He called them "violent criminal terrorists."
    ... as opposed to, say, causing the death of 600,000+ Iraqis. Yeah, pot growers are a real menace. :rolleyes:

2. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Self induced hysteria of a sort. Walters needs to chill out and relax. Anyone have any suggestions for him? :biggrin:

Did he explain exactly why marijuana is a "threat to public health and safety", other than by invoking prejudices he hasn't been able to overcome? And if he did, did he explain why alcohol isn't a "threat to public health and safety"?

What a fucking moron. Exhibit A to be used against anyone who asserts that Republicans are opposed to big government.

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Everyone knows that stoners tend to jump out of third-floor windows.

4. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    not surprised at all....
    sex is becoming illegal...
    i can't spank my girl with a flogger

pot is now a terrorist act.
    it is time to move.

5. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    You would think that HE would be more concerned about the
    Meth problem in His own country. But that would mean actualy having to do something usefull............:wink:

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

He needs to light up.

7. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    *giggles*

8. wingnut84

wingnut84 New Member

In other news, Slavery is Freedom and Despair is Happiness.

The real terrorists are those who are perpetuating the drug war (more aptly named the war on personal freedom).

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Hey! In America everyone is free! to take part in the activities the majority deems acceptable

10. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I certainly think its overkill to label ma and pa backyard weed growers terrorists.

However, in my wildland firefighting travels in the wilds of the western US over the last two decades I have to say I have encountered dope growers and meth lab operators who come much closer to fitting the description of terrorists.

I'm talking about the professional pot growers who illegally squat on public lands to cultivate large, dispersed weed farms on National Forests, BLM rangelands and wildlife refuges. These creeps booby trap their hidden farms with explosives, razor wire, panji stakes that constitute potential hazards to unknowing hikers, fishermen and wildland firefighters. These cretins threaten passersby (and sometimes even government rangers doing their jobs) with weapons and try all manner of intimidation tactics to frighten people away from legitimately traversing public lands near their pot farms.

They pay no taxes, pollute natural resources, and poach game at will. They behave as if the US public lands belonged to them alone. Further, they imagine themselves as some sort of new breed of hardy, independent "mountain men" living off the land. In reality, many of them are just welfare collecting scofflaws. They're robbing us all and I've got no soft spot in my heart for these thuggish freeloaders.

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Speedo, I agree with you about the large commercial growers.

The other side of that story is, if it weren't illegal for me to have a couple of plants in my back yard, those guys would be out of business. I may be mistaken about this, but I think the penalties would be the same whether you are cultivating 3 plants or 300 acres of plants.

To equate the "personal-use growers" as terrorists is beyond absurd.

Right. As soon as I plant a seed, and it germinates, this funny little green light in Afghanistan starts flashing, and a herd of suicide bombers is magically transported to New York City to do their dirty deeds. And I go around killing thousands of innocents with my watering can and my bucket of compost!

12. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

I agree with your statements. He isn't talking about the person growing a few plants in the basement or in the backyard. He's talking about the very large professional growers, many of whom are linked to the Mexican cartels. Admittedly, it is hyperbole to call them (the Mexican Cartels) "violent criminal terrorists", but it isn't too far from the truth.

May I also point out that the reporter never quoted him as saying "pot growers are terrorists". In fact, only ONE of the most inflammatory statements is an actual quote (in the paragraph above) and those attributions are never given context. Was he referring to the average pot grower, or was he referring to the Mexican Cartels? I have no idea. The reporter didn't feel the need to give us the facts.

I find it amusing that we have a thread mocking this man for saying something that I see no evidence that he actually ever said, let alone understanding the context of what he actually did say (whatever that was and the reporter never bothered to tell us).

13. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I agree that it's been taken out of context and edited to have a certain 'spin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted