US TROOP WITHDRAWL is REAL?

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
Rice: Wait 'Til Fall for Iraq Decision
By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice exhorted congressional critics of Iraq war policy Friday to give the Bush administration and the fledgling government in Baghdad until September to "make a coherent judgment of where we are."
On the morning after the House voted 223-201 for a Democratic proposal to force a U.S. troop withdrawal by next spring, Rice acknowledged in a round of television interviews that Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's government hasn't achieved "as much progress as we would like."
"But we shouldn't just dismiss as inconsequential the progress that they have made," the secretary argued.
Maj. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon, a top U.S. commander in Iraq, told Pentagon reporters via a video linkup from Iraq that "there will be consequences" if U.S. troops are withdrawn too soon.
"With the support of the American people, I'm convinced that we can continue to make progress," he said.
"What troubles me about this debate - and it is important and it needs to be debated, for sure - is it seems to me that we should first decide what we want the end state to be in Iraq, and how is that end state important to the United States of America, to this region and to the world - and then determine how we can reach that end state and how much time it will take," added Mixon, who commands troops in northern Iraq, including the violent Diyala province.
Mixon's operational briefing on what troops have been doing in recent weeks in some ways mirrored the mixed report released by the White House Thursday regarding progress in Iraq.
He enumerated military successes - the number of militants captured, weapons caches seized, terrain retaken and so on. But he also acknowledged that much work remains, noting for instance, as the Washington report did, that the Iraqi government is no where near mastering logistics and other issues needed to make its security forces capable of taking over responsibility from U.S. forces.
Mixon spoke of a troop drawdown that would be smaller and slower than Democrats envision. In his area, he said he thought he could begin to reduce forces in January, taking a year to 18 months to reduce his numbers by about half. Those remaining would reduce their activities to training Iraq security forces, helping them when needed, and providing capabilities Iraqis don't have, such as attack aviation and medical support.
"It needs to be well thought out," he said of any plans to drawn down forces. "It cannot be a strategy that is based on 'Well, we need to leave.' That's not a strategy, that's a withdrawal," Mixon said.
Asked if he believed it would be a mistake to begin a withdrawal before January, Mixon said: "That's my military opinion and I'm going to have to stay with that."
Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Peter Pace planned an early afternoon news conference at the Pentagon.
For her part, Rice argued that Baghdad has made headway in lowering the level of sectarian violence, pointing to "something that isn't even on that benchmark list - the tremendous change in al Anbar province, where you have the sheiks, the local people, taking back their streets from al-Qaida."
"I understand people's concern. I understand people's impatience," she said. But Rice said "we ought to stick" to the troop build up strategy that President Bush announced in January, and wait until September when commanding Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker are scheduled to deliver a new assessment of conditions there.
Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts, one of more than a dozen Republican senators running for re-election next year and usually a staunch defender of President Bush's Iraq policy, said this week his support is "not locked into concrete."
"I don't know the answer," Roberts told The Kansas City Star. "I don't know anybody that does. I know the president thinks he does. His resolve is incredible, whether or not that's the proper course of action."
Roberts said he doesn't yet support measures to begin withdrawing troops. But he said: "We can't continue to be engaged in a war which the American people do not support."
The White House took the position that the House vote shows, "we have at least a cohesive position on our side for now," deputy press secretary Dana Perino said Friday.
"We are under no illusion and we're very clear-eyed about the fact that we have a lot of work to do to talk to members of Congress, hear what they have to say," she said, "but just as important, to provide David Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker enough time for them to get their plan under way and implemented so that we can move those unsatisfactory marks into the satisfactory column."
Asked whether Bush could still resist a mandated timeline after September, Perino replied, "Absolutely, yes."
Congressional Democrats, saying the war was draining U.S. assets from the fight against al-Qaida, moved Friday to highlight what they see as a major failure in Bush's war on terror: the inability to bring Osama bin Laden to justice.
The Senate voted 87-1 in favor of doubling the reward to $50 million for information leading to his capture. The bill also would require regular classified reports from the administration explaining what steps it's taking to find bin Laden.
The Senate also voted Friday to confirm Pete Geren as Army secretary.
Rice appeared on Fox News' "Fox & Friends," ABC's "Good Morning America," CBS's "The Early Show" and on CNN.
© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's just a load of waffle.

"Maj. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon, a top U.S. commander in Iraq, told Pentagon reporters via a video linkup from Iraq that "there will be consequences" if U.S. troops are withdrawn too soon."

Surely not.

Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts, one of more than a dozen Republican senators running for re-election next year and usually a staunch defender of President Bush's Iraq policy, said this week his support is "not locked into concrete." "I don't know the answer," Roberts told The Kansas City Star. "I don't know anybody that does. I know the president thinks he does. His resolve is incredible, whether or not that's the proper course of action."

Huh? No-one knows anyone who knows anything.....Except the President who thinks he does but may be wrong.

"Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice exhorted congressional critics of Iraq war policy Friday to give the Bush administration and the fledgling government in Baghdad until September to "make a coherent judgment of where we are."

What difference will 6 weeks make after four years?

"it needs to well thought out" - well that would be a first.

"We are under no illusion and we're very clear-eyed about the fact that we have a lot of work to do to talk to members of Congress, hear what they have to say," she said, "but just as important, to provide David Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker enough time for them to get their plan under way and implemented so that we can move those unsatisfactory marks into the satisfactory column."

What.....?

The Senate voted 87-1 in favor of doubling the reward to $50 million for information leading to his capture. The bill also would require regular classified reports from the administration explaining what steps it's taking to find bin Laden.

What does that have to do with troop withdrawal?

Most of it reads like the transcript of several junior staffers chatting round the water cooler - overhead by a several trainee journos later comparing notes.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice exhorted congressional critics of Iraq war policy Friday to give the Bush administration and the fledgling government in Baghdad until September to "make a coherent judgment of where we are."

Huh? Haven't they had more than 4 years to determine "where we are"?

Bush administration Iraq policy: Ready, Fire, Aim.