USA and UK differences

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
To add another generalization.

I think that America and central Europe's attitude to sex is much like their attitudes to alcohol. For most Americans alcohol is not part of regular day, but when it is consumed it is to an extreme (denial - binge - purge). Were as in central Europe is something that is a regular part of life; wine and beer are consumed, in moderation, with dinner or just socializing but general does not continue on to excess.

The USA and UK attitude to sex are very similar. For the most part, in public, sex is not an issue for discussion but, in private, sex is a frequently discussed. What blurs the picture, In America, is all the screaming about ALL matters sex from a very vocal and very small minority of the people.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
This question might possibly one for the biggest generalisation in the history of the site.

in fact I would say that we expect women to enjoy sex more than men.

Now shoot me down.

:tongue: U do not deserve be shoot Lordpendragon but kissed...have to re-visit England to find out that ...

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We're not that good at the Samba though!

The latest British sex survey showed for the first time that more women than men were happy with their sex lives. I think it was 89 and 87% respectively - so pretty close - and the 2% more women are probably having sex with someone else.

PenisAv

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
prickleyguy said:
I have found that the Brits and Europeans in general are just more open. Here in the States we are always having to look over our shoulders to protect our careers, reputations etc. We have background checks, credit checks etc. just to get a job at Mcdonald's. Sexuallity still seems taboo in a lot of the country, although things are always much more open in the large urban areas.

Sure!!!! Here in US we (it doesn't metter where we are from) have backround checks... US is NOT FREE! US is very POLICE Country. I don't know - it is good or bed.
But I am sure the evry guy (gay ar stright) is afraid of theirselfs shadow. Many times I cought some sexy glance. But everybody imediately turn off inside reputation...
It's very sorry.

raj

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From my experience while traveling in Europe (though not the UK) and hanging out with my European friends, we Americans are very puritanical. I've seen advertisments and shows that we would never see on this side of the pond. There is a denial factor that sex even exists in this country. Something tells me the UK is very similar to the USA. Where else do we get our puritan views from. Example: look how the rest of the world was laughing at us during the Clinton/Lewisnski debacle. Only the UK had the same stupid views as most of those ***holes who held up the country over a blow-job!. Men in power have always taken advantage of their power to get some action on the side.
So to answer your question, yes there is a difference in sexual matters between the States and Europeans (at least from what I've experienced).

jeremyA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think what made people in England smile was the hysterical reaction in the states to that woman whos name ive forgotten and her tit falling out on tellivision.
I don't know if it was because she was black or because she was a woman with breasts but for weeks we had news items about hysterical americans screaming 'burn the witch' or words to that effect.Anywhere else it would have been commented on for a day or so but nothing quite so extreme.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
raj said:
There is a denial factor that sex even exists in this country. Something tells me the UK is very similar to the USA. Where else do we get our puritan views from. Example:

For the record: After we cut our King's head off, we had a fundamentalist Puritan Government - but the people got so sick of it, they overthrew the republican government and brought the monarchy back. Not wishing to be rude about your founding fathers (because they are after all only a small part of your melting pot), but their hardline puritanical views and behaviour were not really tolerated here, which is why they left to found the New Jerusalem.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had a short experience in England and maybe because was among lots of foreigner students the English guys seemed to me not sexual like the others nationalities who tried to aproach girls...they were distante or insecure and notice they drinked a lot and were kind silly, but at University this are comom behaviour to some...party drink and sillyness.

I found American men (dependending the region in the USA) more friendly at first...but i have many more years living in the US then had in England...but still think they are similar...

justsukplz1000

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In order to maintain long-term relationships, I think you have to be secure in yourself before you can make your partner secure.

I don't think it has anything to do with nationailty. Bars in England where the lads get drunk are for girls who are "tarts" are also supposed to hang out.

that way the guys can get drunk and stupid, and still get laid with nice women whilst ot having to control themselves too much.

I am almost T-total, and the only way I can have is relationship long-term is to be secure myself, or how is my mate supposed to feel secure? And I'm 100% British.

I agree that many of my countrymen are as Gisella says, but for me, I've enjoyed the quality of sex and the quantity of women as well as the quality of relationship I've had with those women and the choice and total control I have over who I choose to be with as a mate.

It's up to me!

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
While listening to Diane Rehm (NPR), I was reminded of a show a few weeks ago. It was about Edward R Murrow, during one bombing report he said:
He was standing on an undisclosed roof and saw all the people scurrying to the bomb shelters. There was only one man that he saw running during the report. That man ran out of a building down the deserted street and bolted down toward the Intersection. When the runner got to the intersection he noticed the scurrying people and stopped running. It was a reminder that British people value nothing more than not being inconspicuous.

The story made me laugh.

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think that there is more in common between the US and the UK than say between the UK and other parts of Europe in many social attitudes. I recognise that this is a generalisation and the US is not one homogenous country (seems that the East Coast are less socially conservative than the mid-west for example). There are other US trends that I wish had never permeated the UK- fast food, the level of divorces and teenage pregnancies, style of news presenting and many others. Though the US can teach the world about good customer service.