usa gun control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Bobby Bullwhip, Dec 15, 2008.

1. D_Bobby Bullwhip

D_Bobby Bullwhip New Member

until recently i have held firearms all my life in the uk. i got my section 1 firearms and shotgun certificate revoked for an act of self defence (no firearms involved) i am really majorly pissed off about this as i will never ever get my licences back and obviously had to give up all my shotguns and rifles including two guns my deceased father had given me.
    i know gun control in the states is much more sensible but how many of you from the states own, enjoy and use firearms within the confines of the law, (obviously).
    are you allowed to carry them for self defence or is this just a hollywood myth.

2. D_Marazion Analdouche

I have a concealed weapons permit in two states here in the US. Minus obvious places like banks, airports and schools I can carry pretty much anywhere.

3. Lancelot14

Lancelot14 New Member

Albums:
    So sorry to hear your plight... especially having to give up your fathers guns... I too have firearms that were handed down from my father and Grand-Father... one is 107 years old. They are in my Will and someday will be handed down to the 4th generation.

Yes, we are allowed to carry concealed weapons... (hand guns) for self defense. It varies from State to State... some do, some don't. There is a permitting process to go through... so you just can't carry because you want to and you could be denied a permit. Then... even if the State Law allows you to... there are places you can't carry... schools, government buildings and airplanes, etc.. So... no, it's not a Hollywood myth.

I own 17 weapons... hand guns, shotguns and rifles.

Again... sorry for your predicament.

Lance

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

It's not a myth.

Many states actually respect the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution and permit the open carriage of firearms. Others require them to be concealed.

Plenty of info available at OpenCarry.org.

5. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have firearms, but realize that the Samuri swords i have could be called weapons, as are the golf clubs, axes, knives, chain saws, hoes, shovels, cars, tractor, knowledge about how to make bombs with household chemicals...can all be considered dangerous weapons.

Of course a chain saw is not concealable underneath a jacket.

6. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    I personally don't get the gun thing. I don't own any and can't see myself ever owning any. I've lived in major cities for half my life and have never felt threatened enough to want to carry guns or keep them in my home for protection. I'm also not willing to take a human life or take a chance and have a mistake happens that harms someone else or myself. I don't see the value of guns. I don't hunt.

I have rarely seen a story where someone protected their home by using a gun or someone on the street was attacked and used a concealed gun to protect themselves. Most likely if I had a gun and was in a situation where it had to be used, it would probably end up with me in jail or with major legal bills.

I am quite sick of seeing stories of fathers shooting their families, kids shooting classmates, disgruntled employees shooting co-workers and people accidentally shooting themselves and others.

#6 HyperHulk, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. D_Bobby Bullwhip

its so good to hear other gun owners understanding and sympathising! i amk so pissed off at this i really am, there is no way we will ever ever be able to carry firearms here to defend ourselves in the uk. we cant evn own mace or peppewr spray in our own homes as it is classed as a firearm and carries a mandatory 5 year sentence!
    the gang culture and increasing rise of illegaly held guns being used in crime here is rising at an unbelievable rate but still the government refuses to address these problems effectively.
    incidentally i have worked in the security industry and as a close protection operative for nearly 17 years and all i can see is this country getting more and more violent and the decent law abiding folks being persecuted for it with stupid knee jerk laws.
    i lost my licences for defending myself against 3 violent thugs and the cops that attended said i acted in self defence and there were no charges being brought against me. report went to the top brass and i had my licences removed as i used physical force?
    £6000 of shotguns and rifles i have lost and one of my main hobbies and loves.
    so what sort of firearms are availabke to you guys over there and what restrictions do you have on their use?

8. dong20

Gold Member

"Firearms Act 1968 [as amended by 1997 act] - Section 30A Revocation of firearm certificates

(1) A firearm certificate may be revoked by the chief officer of police for the area in which the holder resides on any of the grounds mentioned in subsections (2) to (5) below.

(2) The certificate may be revoked if the chief officer of police has reason to believe—

(a) that the holder is of intemperate habits or unsound mind or is otherwise unfitted to be entrusted with a firearm; or

(b) that the holder can no longer be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition to which the certificate relates in his possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

(3) The certificate may be revoked if the chief officer of police is satisfied that the holder is prohibited by this Act from possessing a firearm to which section 1 of this Act applies.

(4) The certificate may be revoked if the chief officer of police is satisfied that the holder no longer has a good reason for having in his possession, or for purchasing or acquiring, the firearm or ammunition which he is authorised by virtue of the certificate to have in his possession or to purchase or acquire.

(5) A firearm certificate may be revoked if the holder fails to comply with a notice under section 29(1) of this Act requiring him to deliver up the certificate."

You have a [limited] right of appeal under the same act.

"(6)A person aggrieved by the revocation of a certificate under subsection (2), (3) or (4) of this section may in accordance with section 44 of this Act appeal against the revocation."

"44 Appeals against police decisions

(1) An appeal against a decision of a chief officer of police under section 28A, 29, 30A, 30B, 30C, 34, 36, 37 or 38 of this Act lies—
    (a) in England and Wales, to the Crown Court; and
    (b) in Scotland, to the sheriff.
    (2) An appeal shall be determined on the merits (and not by way of review).
    (3) The court or sheriff hearing an appeal may consider any evidence or other matter, whether or not it was available when the decision of the chief officer was taken.
    (4) In relation to an appeal specified in the first column of Part I of Schedule 5 to this Act, the third column shows the sheriff having jurisdiction to entertain the appeal.
    (5) In Schedule 5 to this Act—
    (a) Part II shall have effect in relation to appeals to the Crown Court; and
    (b) Part III shall have effect in relation to appeals to the sheriff.”

Without knowledge of events or of special circumstances, it sounds like a dubious decision, one open to appeal.

As a final resort you could have any weapons with sentimental value made 'safe' in order that you could keep them, as they would then fall outside the law.

9. Gl3nn

Gold Member

I'm sorry you feel unsafe in your own country.
    The government is the one to blame. They should be doing something about the violence and crime.

I understand why people want to keep guns that were handed down by generation to generation. Like antique weapons.
    But having a gun...no. I can't ever see myself wearing or owning one.
    It's very difficult to get one to begin with, and secondly...I feel very safe in my country. I really feel sorry for the people who find that they need a gun to feel safe.

10. D_Bobby Bullwhip

i dont feel i need a gun to feel safe at all.

11. D_Bobby Bullwhip

it was going to cost kme between 8 and 12 k to apeal the decision and if i lost i would have to pay all the police court costs. the likely hood of me winning my case in this country with the current climate and misunderstanding of firearms was virtually nil.

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

In the US the laws vary from state to state, I have a permit, however I don't carry a gun. I hope I never have to use it in my home. That's the only reason I have it.

13. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Surely when criminals know homeowners can be armed with guns they then carry guns themselves to come and rob your homes... therefore the chances of one of you actually being killed when all they want is your telly is increased?

It may be a really simplistic view, but I live in the UK where people don't routinely carry guns (the majority anyway) so the thought of firearms terrifies me.

I'd sooner lose my telly than my life though, I know that!

14. D_Bobby Bullwhip

nice thought but the vast majority of crims carry something and more and more carry firearms. if you were to disturb some twat nicking your telly the chances are that out of fear he would slot you regardless.
    even when i had my firearms i never dreamt of using them to protect myself or property however due to british justice system probably favouring some rat rather than me.

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I belong to that site, and it is a great resource.

Personally, if someone's breaking into my house, I do not want to wait and see if they're just going to take the television or rape and gut me. Being a pacifist really doesn't work out that well for women.

Also, the UK has issues with knife crimes, so without firearms, you basically have to run, surrender whatever they want, or get involved in a knife fight?

I'll always fight to take my chances with a gun... much safer to fight an intruder than allow them to have their way, plus, I can fire from across the room, through a door, etc. and I'm an excellent shot.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

you're too cool kitty :cool::biggrin1:

17. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

The bigger issure is when they come to redistribute your wealth. "Do not go gently into that good night"

18. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

her ei the US, areas that have the highest legal gun ownersip have the lowest crime rates. A theif isn't going to rob where he knows he'll get his ass shot.

19. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

20. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

You like that, right?
    I'll protect you, Randy! :hug:

Nice vid, though, I wasn't expecting the flamethrower. :biggrin1:
    The only place I've seen someone shoot a fully automatic weapon as an adult is Mississippi. Sadly, I was too much of a pussy to give a try - would like to at some point, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted