Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It shouldn't be just an American task but one for the Western world.

China has to be taken to task over human rights issues. That a quarter of the world's people live in a repressive dictatorship is not something we should brush under the carpet. We have an ethical responsibility to protest abuses wherever we find them.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The chinese foreign minister in the link looks remarkably happy for someone just berated by Hilary for his human rights abuses. However, US politics is very bound up with military power both as part of the national economy making all those missiles, and national prestige. Hence our recent loony wars. I seriously doubt the US actually benefits from this military posturing. But for the reasons just mentioned likely it will continue to try to push around other countries.

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I really don't think it's in either China's or the US's mutual interest to "take on" each other. For the past five decades, China's military has been fairly contained to its own region, and it certainly hasn't been able to reintegrate Taiwan into its fold because the the US presence. If it hasn't blown up by now, it's not going to.

The US is more interested in spreading its influence militarily around the world, whereas China international presence is more strongly felt in developing countries in their drive to extract natural resources. If you travel in most of Sub-Saharan Africa for example, there is a huge Chinese presence there in regard to this. Whereas the US is also definitely there, but more in an "aid" sense or with all sorts of crazy religious independent missionaries.

They need each other in so many ways. China needs the US to police the world, so they can extract their resources. And the US needs China for cheap goods at Walmart and for cash funds when needed. They also share an interest in preventing Islamic based terrorism. Many people forget or don't know that China's west has a large porous border in the Xinjiang region and that there is a drive there for autonomy or independece as "Turkestan"...the Uighurs are Turkic speaking people and most are Muslim. China is seen as just as much of an "oppressor" by terrorist organisations as the US is.

I always caution Europeans who are so keen for the Chinese century to begin. I realise that many people in the world have USA-fatigue. But, are you really ready for Chinese autocracy? China has expressed its views lately that Europe is filled with indolent sloths. Do you really want a 60 hour work week? It's a matter of choosing your poison.

AFP: China fund official slams 'indolence' in Europe

They share

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media

There is repression and corruption in China. Let's not try to deny this, but I think Westerners give a higher value to the notion of democratic liberty, even if they don't actually have it themselves.

I have been a member of Amnesty for over 25 years now, and trust me, China is hardly alone when it comes to HR abuse. However it is not acceptable.

The US on the other hand uses this as a veil to their true engagement with China. I find it rather two faced now and to the point where it diminishes the issue of HR abuse victims.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
no need to talk about china... When you see it simple its just a big bubble and will plopp in the next 20years... The future world leader is india

And the usa see it self as the world police... But we can see that they are to weak. Doring the cold war it was a balance between east and west and only one "big" war... And the usa lost it

After 1990 the usa got even more the feeling of beeing the world police as the only left superpower.

But only for 10years the results of the first big war in 2003 shows wher the limits of the usa are. Right now they couldnt pay for another war. So no police

And a police should also be a role model

And about the problem that china has with human rights... That the problem of the chinese people. They have to find THEIR way to democracy and liberty from their gov.
The usa tryd to bring democracy with violence it failed and 8years lates the arabien world showed that they can make it by their own and it worked...

If you are realy against the chinese gov. stop tradeing with them.

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The USA can do nothing to China. China holds such an enormous amount of the US debt that it can cripple us if it wants too. Without good credit, you cannot run your country much less run a war.

How would hour theory work? If China intentionally weaken the economy in the US, then their own economy collapses. It's more accurate to say they are locked in a "death embrace". They both need to survive and thrive, or they both die.

You people are believing the bravado you hear from politicians in both countries. They have to say those thinks to "feed the mob". The business communities are really controlling the show.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
How would hour theory work? If China intentionally weaken the economy in the US, then their own economy collapses. It's more accurate to say they are locked in a "death embrace". They both need to survive and thrive, or they both die.

You people are believing the bravado you hear from politicians in both countries. They have to say those thinks to "feed the mob". The business communities are really controlling the show.

China is now pushing its own people to increase internal consumption. It will help protect China from falling world markets. China has over 1 trillion in cash. It can wage any war it wants too. BTW I don't follow what morons in DC say. They are the ones who helped screw us into oblivion. If you want to target a corporation that is pushing us down, try Walmart. It is the leader in pushing imports in the USA.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
China is now pushing its own people to increase internal consumption. It will help protect China from falling world markets. China has over 1 trillion in cash. It can wage any war it wants too. BTW I don't follow what morons in DC say. They are the ones who helped screw us into oblivion. If you want to target a corporation that is pushing us down, try Walmart. It is the leader in pushing imports in the USA.

Sure its wallmart... Its the biggest of its kind

And china support the consume in china, yes. But they do it with debts they use their dollar and euro savings to guarantee for the debts... With this they create a gigantic bubble. The build like nutz... At the beginnig it worked but now 30% of a new building isnt soled. Their debts are by 80% and rising about 6% a year. The inflation is by 8% and they grow with 9%... Can you imagen what happens when chinas bubble burst?

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

And china support the consume in china, yes. But they do it with debts they use their dollar and euro savings to guarantee for the debts... With this they create a gigantic bubble. The build like nutz... At the beginnig it worked but now 30% of a new building isnt soled. Their debts are by 80% and rising about 6% a year. The inflation is by 8% and they grow with 9%... Can you imagen what happens when chinas bubble burst?

And don't forget the value of the currency is fixed by the Chinese government to be artificially low to promote trade advantages. If the currency were to float and be property valued on the world market, the bubble would truly burst.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media

It is about to happen. The western world is about to plunge into a horrible economic earthquake. China will be sucked down with it. Right now, they are all keeping their fingers crossed that China will have a soft landing. No such luck. Most of the people in China benefitting live in the city. The millions in the rural area are not benefitting that much. They will still come out stronger than the west. China bought enormous amounts of gold to hold in reserve.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is about to happen. The western world is about to plunge into a horrible economic earthquake. China will be sucked down with it. Right now, they are all keeping their fingers crossed that China will have a soft landing. No such luck. Most of the people in China benefitting live in the city. The millions in the rural area are not benefitting that much. They will still come out stronger than the west. China bought enormous amounts of gold to hold in reserve.

I wount bet on it...
Yes they have a lot of reserves in poor people who could prosper after a crisis. But as soon as the growth stops the poor people count pay the inflation any more. Remember 1989 the demonstrations also started cause of inflation... In a crisis china had to face even bigger problems and if the gov fails the ethnic problems would come up. And in a instable country no growth

The future is india ;)

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wount bet on it...
Yes they have a lot of reserves in poor people who could prosper after a crisis. But as soon as the growth stops the poor people count pay the inflation any more. Remember 1989 the demonstrations also started cause of inflation... In a crisis china had to face even bigger problems and if the gov fails the ethnic problems would come up. And in a instable country no growth

The future is india ;)
Perados, why is this written so much better than your other posts?

That said, I agree. India's future may not be better than China's, but seems more assured.
We will see.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
cant say... Sometimes i write on my mobile and only see a small part of the text some times im stoned. But i guess the major reason is that the most post are about my love the economy and just to answer one point right you should write 2pages... And i have to put it in a few short sentence... Same for the history about the english language :wink: as more complex as worst my english :biggrin1:

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
The future is india ;)
India sought technological advances. The massive undersea cable, and cheap labor market has given them a boom in tech service related jobs. It is estimated that in the next 35 years, India will become the most populous nation on earth. Under communism, China promised to take care of the elderly. India doesn't have the same obligations to society. It allows massive numbers of its people to starve to death. Without the giant welfare promise, it should be able to go ahead.