Using the lords name in vain.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Coconuts, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Coconuts

Coconuts New Member

Albums:
    I'm venting in this thread because its a battle that I will never win.

I'm not religious anymore. I was raised very religious and spent many years studying religion and all that fun stuff that I've lost faith in. So here is what happened.

I was working at the office the today and got frustrated over a project that I was managing and I let off a well placed "Goddamnit!" The woman who works near me, who is rather uptight...and apparently religious, says to me, "please don't use the lords name in vain around me."

I about snapped, however I replied to her, "sorry to offend." ( I made sure to inflect absolutely no remorse in this apology.)

Now, I've read the christian bible a few times because of my upbringing and I feel that many people misinterpret this particular commandment.

The commandment is, "Never use the lords name in vain,"....NOT: "never say a curse word after the word God!!!"

To use the lords name in vain is completely 100% a different concept. Swearing has nothing to do with it!!!

Lets analyze it real quick. The word Vain: excessive pride, without success, shallow...etc. To be vain is vanity. To use the lords name amongst vanity. To put yourself on the level of the lord. To use the lords name to serve your own vanity. To abuse the lords power in order to facilitate ones own agenda!!....see where I'm going with this!!!! In accordance with christian beliefs, to shallowly use the lords name in order to fulfill your own vain agenda would be a failure of the success of the christian values.

The commandment is not..."don't swear"...the commandment is a teaching about the evil of being manipulative of Devign power.

Of coarse I no longer go to church every Sunday, and the last time I opened a bible in order to find meaning was about 8 years ago...and because I say Goddamnit (which shouldn't be offensive any way because of the shear absurdity of the phrase...because if there is a God I most certainly don't have the power to make God "damn" anything...I'm not God's project manager!....) I'm the offensive one. And the uptight preachy woman is the good christian!!...even though she obviously doesn't pay much attention to the word she follows.

Good going lady at work....you pissed me off and I can't even tell you what I think because you would probably get me fired for being informed.

ugh....:confused::mad::fing02:

P.S. I'm a somewhat sarcastic person.

2. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Christ On A Bicycle!" is an odd one. Usually said out of frustration like "Goddammit!" or "Oh God!" or "Jesus Christ!" etc.

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Not a bad point, but in a way, the expletives for God's sake, Jesus etc etc are a type of vain invocation. Perhaps your co-worker would be happier if you just said for fuck's sake, fuck my arse fucking cunt etc. etc..

4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think I love you! That was so eliquently put and 100% true. I also relate to you 100% about Christianity in general. I'll not go into details here, as my views, although crontroversial, are historical facts, and I'm sure I'll offend many.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not that I give a flying fuck, but what you describe is, technically blasphemy. As such it offends the third commandment (and yes, I had to Google it).

7. Viking_UK

Gold Member

As I understand it, the whole thing about taking God's name in vain stems from the use of YHWH (the origin of the admonition not to use four-letter words) or Jehovah etc, hence the use of terms like Adonai or the Lord or even the Name. It's since been extended to cover "God", which has now been accepted as one of His names, and why you now see things like G-d (as if that's really going to make any difference to The Man Upstairs).

On a technicality, you might get away with saying "god damn it" with the disclaimer that it's a lower-case G, and therefore not referring to any god in particular. :smile: (And you can bet that would wind her up even more.)

8. D_Ezdras Dingledonger

I'm glad I live in a largely secular country because I have do have a potty mouth at times and take the lord's name in vain far more often than I'd like to admit. I do like Drifterwood's idea of cunting it up in the office, though. It'd be fun to see what she takes more personally; God or her vagina. :biggrin1:

9. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I live in Ireland and come from an Irish immigrant background so half the words I hear and use on a daily basis are blasphemies and the taking of the lord's name in vain. Jeysuz-fuckin-christ and holy-feckin-mary I love blasphemy so I do.

10. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've always found it kind of amusing that despite not being religious in the slightest, most of the time I curse it'll involve some biblical reference. Jesus H. Corbett, and all that.

11. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

Goddammit...isn't taking the "lords" name in vain... it is in fact "cursing" something...like a "pox upon you".

And it just happens to be my favorite profanity! Goddammit!!!

12. luka82

Gold Member

You`ll burn in HELL!
    I wanna sit next to you! :biggrin1:

13. Mikes20

Mikes20 New Member

An alternative point of view:
    If you look closely at the idea of using the name of something considered sacred commonly, abusively, or without proper reverence you may see how this shows a lack of respect for the sacred entity in question. You are considering yourself higher or more important than this sacred entity, mostly because you believe it doesn't exist (To be fair I consider myself more important that unicorns, fewer people believe in those though). Considering oneself more important than anything is being prideful, therefore vain. So from this womans point of view you are disrespecting and not giving proper reverence to God. You are showing her you think little of God compared to yourself and this would be considered a very excessive pride, and therefore vanity as well.

14. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah me and millions of Irish people are all gonna burn in hell for our filthy blasphemous ways Luka, St Patrick's day in Hell will be a blast! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

15. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same here - it's usually "Oh Lordy!", "Fucking Hell!" or "Bloody Hell!"

Tee-hee! All that Irish swearing makes me instantly think of Father Jack from "Father Ted"

"FECK! DREYNK! EYRSE! GEYRLS!"

Just thinking about that show puts a smile on my face. :smile:

Room for one more? :smile:

16. Boobalaa

Gold Member

:eek::rolleyes:..I concur, having just re-read, The Gift of the Jews by Thomas Cahill. (pp. 108-110) Only the high priest could pronounce the Name of God, and only ONCE a year in the Prayer of the Day of Atonement. TC's take on the "YHWH" is that it may have been somebody attempting to spell out what a breath sounds like(YH inhaling and WH exhaling)My example from Cahill's would be , not to get too cheesy here, but the Sting song, "Every breath you take..is a gift of God..Cahill also said that after the temple was distroyed in 70A.D., no Jew ever uttered the name again! In their bible, instead of "YHWH", they subsitute "Adoni" (the lord), Many orthodox jews go further and don't even use "Adoni" and say "ha-Shem" (the name) instead..:rolleyes:....He says "Jehovah" is a 'mispronounciation", much in evidence in Protestant hymnody and based on an inadequate understanding of the coventions of medieval manuscripts"..:rolleyes::biggrin1:..Another fine example therefore my friends, why I for one, Do Not Believe and Have No Faith in a Supernatural Force out there somewhere..I just enjoy reading and learning BOTH SIDES of the issue..Cmon..There's supposed to be ONE GOD, but how many different religions are there?..It's just really interesting stuff with lots of fantastic stories and myths..it's just good to know where most of the ways of thinking in the western civilization came from

#16 Boobalaa, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  17. luka82

Gold Member

Sure!
    The more the merrier! :biggrin1:

18. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    On the rare occasion I curse with "Jeysuz-fucking-christ!"....usually when I smash my thumb with a hammer, I whisper an apology..."sorry jesus"

Does this make it alright?

19. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, isn't that called atonement? I think that works.

I remember one popular curse phrase from my time in the far northern Adirondacks in NY State where they said, "By the jumped up Jesus Christ!", which was sometimes shortened to "By the Jesus!" The accent is hard to convey,though. It wasn't quite Irish. It was more like "buoy the jeysus", where the buoy is somewhere between the buoy and by.

I love Irish curses, and I sure do hope there are Irish in hell. It will be very boring for me there if there are no Irish.

The French Canadians take the commandment seriously. Instead of taking the lord's name in vain, they take his acoutrements in vain. You will often hear a Quebecois say, "chalaice!", which means chalice. Or even stranger is a kind of mutated French thing of "sti' tabernack!", or "sti' tabernash!" which means stinking tabernacle.

Does that mean that there will be no Quebecois in hell? That would also be boring.

20. D_Tim McGnaw

No. You need to do 200 Hail Mary's and climb a mountain on your knees to a shrine with a statue of the virgin which moves if you stare at it too long. :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted