Using the "Report Post" button

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Jovial, Mar 16, 2008.

?

Have you used the report Post Button?

1. I never use it

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. I use it, but not often

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. I use it often

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have never used the Report Post button, but I think maybe I should start. I wonder, if more people used it would it help cut back on the abusiveness? Or should we only use it rarely?

Just so people know, the Repost Post button is that little yellow icon with exclamation point under a members username/info on the left side of each post. If you click it, there is a screen where you enter a message that I guess goes to the moderators(?) Under the message it says:
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Yes, I have used it more than once. I'm not sure how the administrators meant it to work; but I think it's a great way to spot potential trolls early on in their post history.

3. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

I've used it on trolls. Lets say their screen names had the N word in them.

I've never used it on any other forum I've been a member of, but I've never seen as many trolls and abusive posts as I have here. I'll do whatever I can to help cut down on that.

4. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've used it 2 or 3 times.This is how people should deal with trolls instead of getting into long arguments.Don't reply to their posts,just report them.

5. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Please! When have they ever responded they way you'd like them too?
    Which is why I never have bothered to use it.
    C.B.:saevil:

6. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only time I used it to report someone for being abusive he was banned shortly after.I don't know if it was because of my report - maybe he had multiple ID's.The fact is he was disposed of and I never responded to the abuse.
    The other times I reported photos which could be seen in threads without logging in.That can't be done anymore.
    In my experience the "Report" button has been 100% successful!
    I've never used the "Ignore" button,some people find that it's the best way to avoid getting into arguments.

7. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I have never used it. I dont feel it is my place to go reporting people

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I use it from time to time - mainly when I see a poster where the member states he/she is underage or if there is a link to an image of a minor. I have also used it a couple of times to report abusive behaviour (not abusive to me but to other members). Certainly on the underage stuff I have noticed action is always taken, and reasonably quickly. On the abusive behaviour stuff it is harder to gauge the response from the mods but I think it can only be helpful to them in having these posts pointed out to them - they can't read every post in every forum, after all.

9. Supersized

Supersized New Member

I wish i'd known about it sooner. I owe you one Jovial.

10. koval

Gold Member

I've had to use it once, this site is meant to be a support group and I came across one person who had only just joined and was instantly set upon by another member who made fun of his size (the new member was not into humiliation). So I reported him!

11. Northland

Gold Member

Not entirely true. I don't know enough about the entire photo situation and how it works, I've seen some photo clickers which open in a separate window; which, after being viewed, I can click on the X in the upper right and be back at my previous screen (of LPSG), Others which I click on are in the same window, and if I click on the X I will be off of LPSG, for these I need to click on the back arrow <- in order to return to the LPSG screen. Prior to logging on today, I browsed and found this one in the celebrity section- http://www.lpsg.org/1354568-post196.html In this post, one can click on the link and is brought directly to the photo (it is a nonsexual image in this case). It is also a link which opens in a separate window. I guess it's a matter, perhaps of inserting as a link or as an image or an attachment and that may be where the difference is found. All that aside, when I spot the ones which are viewable to those not logged on, if they are of a sexual nature or contain human nudity, I report them.

Beyond the occasional photo reports, I have on a few occasions actually used the Report button and also then looked to see which Mod/Admin. was currently available and sent them a PM as well. I find them here: http://www.lpsg.org/showgroups.php

They all seem to be fairly much on the ball in keeping things clean; but, our occasional assist can only help them.

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I don't think that's what Yorkie was driving at - links are links and people can follow them (content is off site, not Rob's responsibility) - attachments can only be viewed by members but the tag is disabled on this board on purpose - so a picture can actually appear in a post (as in in this box in which I'm typing).

Previously (for a short time only) the [img] tag was reactivated, by accident as it turns out, and people were putting adult pics in threads which meant that unregistered folk browsing here could see them, which puts Rob in violation of Federal Law (I [I]think[/I]) for not having a 18+ warning at the top of the site. Which is why nude avatars weren't allowed originally - now they can't be seen by those not logged on I have no idea why the no nude avs rule still applies, but it does.

Anyway - that's what Yorkie meant.

*reports Northland for misunderstanding Yorkie* :tongue:

13. Northland

Gold Member

Oh yeah?! Well, I'm going to report you for having an exposed nipple in your avatar-oh, wait, those can only be viewed when logged on.

Never mind.

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

I use it, but not often.
    That said, I don't often come across posts that I truly deem worthy of reporting.

15. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

I've only just become aware of the button thanks to this thread, but I'm not sure I'll be using it much because it's often hard to tell when the shit hits the fan in a thread - do you report the person baiting, or the person responding to the bait? Plus they may have a kind of history together that involves banter and heated arguments so you never really know if something's out of line or even meant seriously.

16. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You'd be surprised how many posters hit that button instead of Post Reply when responding to a thead. :rolleyes2:

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Ban the fuckers!! :tongue::tongue::rolleyes:

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Oh, I remember that CLEARLY. Some members could be counted on to hit the Report Post button to reply to several posts per day!

That being said, I have reported posts not so much to call attention to trolls, but to highlight the return of banned members, such as:

Radiant = Italian978/1 = AndyA =andy112311

I do not think that this button should be used when people do not agree with you or you are in a heated debate or you find that you generally do not like someone.

IMO, that is what the ignore feature is for. Although, it can be hard to make a case that someone is harassing you if you are ignoring them.

19. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:

20. HaagenDazs

HaagenDazs New Member

I've never used it. I just ignore idiots and sign off. It's easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted