Utah Left My Name Off!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Jul 15, 2010.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Ya know, you sort of have to smile whenever doing a google for The Salt Lake Tribune, the newspaper with the largest circulation in Ewetaw because what other newspaper google link would have the following links: Sports, Utah Jazz, News, Opinion, Blogs, and Polygamy?

But right in goose step with the ultra red state, yesterday's disseminating a list of 1,300 people and 201 children living illegally in The Beehive State was, in my modest opinion, a bit much. See: Probe finds state data used in

I especially find such tactics disgusting when mormons have filed with other christian organizations NOT to have their donor lists in the Proposition 8 run-around published in California for fear of a "militant gay backlash." Yeah. Right at the the top of my To Do List is: 1. Go to California and slash anti gay mormons' tires, and 2. Eat a lot of asparagus and pee my name in their front lawns.

But after reviewing the shenanigans of what appears to be government employees working for the Department of Social Services in Ewetaw, I'm a bit disappointed that MY NAME was not that list of 1,300 illegals! Shifty bastards! :rolleyes:

#1 midlifebear, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just for shits and giggles, MLB, How much red-tape is required to get The Squeeze's visa every time you guys enter the country en famille? And how long are such visas good for?

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Saw this on Maddow last night.
    What's really alarming about this list is that it has the names of six women who are expecting, along with their due dates. How a group of "concerned citizens" is able to get such detailed personal information makes me wonder if some laws are being broken here.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    That information is absolutely considered confidential under HIPPA statutes.

5. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

I know it kinda looks like HIPPO.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

The US State Department, who decides who gets a visa and who doesn't get into the USA if you're not from a reciprocating country (Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina do not reciprocate, whereas anyone with a British, Canadian, French, Italian, or German passport can waltz right through customs). it takes about $225 US to apply at the US Embassy north of the Palermo neighborhood. The US Embassy is all shiny black glass, lots of antennae and virtually screams CIA. However, the part Argentines (and 'Mericuhns who need help) go to is exactly like any department of motor vehicles building, replete with confusing sinage.

Very few Argentines who apply for a US Visa are issued one. And the $225 is non-refundable. The Squeeze has the equivalent of a doctorate in Social Sciences/Work. But that's not good enough for the State Department. They tend to treat most citizens from South America and Central America as if they were Mexican Nationals trying to get their foot in the door of the mighty USA at the Arizona border in Nogales. However, it is relatively easy to get a student visa if you're Argentine. And when you do get a regular US visa it's only good for a 90-day stay. Then you have to apply for an extension and pay a small fee. But each time you want to enter the USA you have to apply and pay the $225 for a new visa.

Only recently has Argentina (as of last January 2010) started charging Brits, Canadians, and US Citizens -- among others -- $110 (I think, I can't remember the exact amount) for a visa application fee that is good for 90-day visas up to 10 years. Chile does the same thing and charges $130. Brazil charges 320 Argentine Pesos (divide by 3.4 for dollar amount) each time a north American or Brit wants to visit their country. They do not offer the 10-year (or remaining life of your passport) sticker that lets you just fill out a form and enter the country for 90 days. Brazil is serious. They really don't want North Americans flying down and fouling their culture. Joca will have to elaborate if my views on this particular subject is true. Yet, if any of these countries deny you a visa, they always refund your application fee.

Not the US of A. They keep all application fees, regardless.

Hence, The Squeeze does not want to visit the USA. He's been declined, twice. He hasn't any need or burning interest to visit the USA. He has all of South and Central America (except Panama) to travel for free as well as Mexico and the entire EU. He finds it amusing that I cannot legally travel to Cuba. He's spent a great deal of time in South Africa and can actually speak a little Afrikaans, Dutch, and Flemish. He's traveled to Kenya, Morocco, and most of northern Africa with less of a problem acquiring official travel visas than I have. But he sees no future in the USA and, therefore, absolutely no reason to waste his time learning English. I support him 100%

Nope. Even prior to 9/11 the US State Department's ass was and has always been tighter than that of a virgin gay mormon boy's. And that's usually pretty tight.

Oh, and in Argentina, if you are caught living on an expired visa or even without one after umpteem years, they charge you 100 Pesos (divide by 3.4 for the US dollar amount) for being in the country illegally and then deport you -- usually to Uruguay. You can get on the next river ferry or plane and come back the next day, pay the visa fee, and legally stay for 90 days. The number of 'Mericuhns a livin' as illegal aliens in Argentina without a current or ANY visa is estimated to be about 15,000 to 18,000 thousand (according to Clarín). There was a rush of Canadians, folks from OZ and 'Mericuhn youngn's who flew to Buenos Aires and started real estate rental businesses, living art projects, or have just got permanently lost in Patagonia running out back and hiker's services where they lead peaceful, productive lives since 2001 to 2005. There are a lot of British down there, too. The Brits like to refer to Argentines as "Argies." This is a term Argentines do not find endearing. But the Brits tend to be oblivious to most of the real world that surrounds them in South America, and true to their particular nature, they hang out in clots, complain about the open corruption (they prefer their's hidden), and hang out at the Shamrock Pub where they constantly argue that if given the chance they could govern Argentina better than the Argentines. Lots of Brits come to Barcelona, as well as all of Spain, too, but they tend to be a temporary feature and leave as soon as their paid holidays are over. Like Argentina, they still insist that they know better than the Spanish Government how to govern Spain. But they only get 90-day visas, too. Otherwise they are predictably nice folks and don't hang around long.

Now that Obama is president, I no longer have to lie and tell cab drivers in Argentina or, well . . . anywhere, that "I'm Canadian." Bush the Younger was and still is so universally hated that it was physcially and monetarily safer for me to lie about my citizenship than admit to it. At the moment, that general world hate directed at US Citizens is served out mostly by folks in the Middle East, UK (except for Ireland), and Indonesia.

#6 midlifebear, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

New sources have revealed that two Utah state workers may be involved with creating the list and have been put on "leave".

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Imagine that! :cool:

Oh, and MLB-
    Thanks for the highly enlightening post above. Everything makes a little more sense now.

9. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    it may be more explained, but I wouldnt say the involutions of the immigration systems make sense. MLB, it sounded like you said brits only get a 90 day visa in spain: Spain is Eu, I can be there as much as I like.(not that I ever have). Interesting you suggested Brits hate americans: if what we think about americans is hate, then I can see why they worry about Iraqis and Afghans. Surprising there's an american left alive.

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

My apologies, Dandelion. Of course, as a citizen of an EU country you're right. You can stay in Spain as long as you want. I sort of jumped thoughts in the middle of writing. You see, when I first moved to Spain we still used the Peseta and the UK and Spain were NOT part of the evolving EU. Everyone who was not a Spanish native went to Andorra to get a new or renewed visa.

As for Brits disliking 'Mericuhns, well . . . my experience having recently visited London (finally) proved to be a onerous one. Most of my English-speaking friends in Barcelona are British, very friendly, and remarkably hysterical. They are good company and I enjoy having them as guests in my home. However, I found Brits on their home soil to be anything but. In my personal opinion, a week among the natives of London was as much fun as a week among cranky shop keepers at the annual Cranky French Shop Keepers Convention in Paris. Every cab driver insisted upon starting a political argument with me. The concierge at my hotel was less than accommodating. And I found the average London native about as intelligent as I regard my fellow citizens in No Poke, Indiana -- none too bright. The clincher was the city. It could use a good wash. But that was just London, plus there was the bother of getting to and from Heathrow.

Maybe the UK was having a bad week. Personally, I was as open-eyed and friendly as Dorothy in Oz. Didn't do me much good.

But there are much worse places. I personally invite you for a week-long holiday in Salt Lake City, Ewetaw where we can start off your visit at the Visitor's Center at Temple Square. :biggrin1:

11. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    City washing is definitely a question of rainfall rather than elbow grease. I was in london last weekend just after a week with quite a bit of rain, after some time with very little. Thought the city was looking quite good, but had a chance encounter with someone from France who said that after 2 weeks he was hating it. From the conversation I dont think he had a very good tour guide since he didnt seem to recognise my checklist of places to see. I spent a little time outside watching the crowds go by, and came to the conclusion the passers by didnt look very english. So was it a lot of unhappy tourists or migrant workers? I couldnt say about the cab drivers

would have been most interesting to have bumped into you!

Is that by way of revenge?

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Salt Lake City is actually a really beautiful city. :smile:

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

Yes, it is. And it even used to be even more beautiful. However, if you are not a member of the major religion, you may very well feel stuck in a Twilight Zone episode based on the year 1957 if you stick around long enough. It gets very spooky. :biggrin1:

14. B_Anchor_Baby

B_Anchor_Baby New Member

I like the demonization of Utah and the Mormons, as though both groups were personally involved in planning some social experiment targeting illegals. Of course had they put the names of other criminals that were wanted in the paper then that would be fine.

This thread has much more to do with the Mormons stance on homosexuals, and Utahs status as a "Red State".

I say: It is possible to understand, tolerate, and even accept other viewpoints that don't agree with your own, all you have to do is try.

#14 B_Anchor_Baby, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  15. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

MLB: Im sorry about your experiance in London. You must have unfortunately kept bumping into city workers. 90% of us Londoners are bang up people and are rather nice.

Cab drivers obviously lived up to thier stereotype. Wierdly, this has never happened to me. I dont use cabs all too often, but being usually everyone seems to start a political discussion with me. However, i dont feel as though i've missed out on an experiance of being locked in a car with someone you disagree with."red lights idicate doors are secured....."

Did you get to see the demoncracy village before it was destroyed by Boris and his boys? I get the feeling you may have liked it. It was outside Parliament. Brian Haw is there too.

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

Lemon:

Not to worry. My experiences of seven days in London were no worse than had I spent the same seven days in Manhattan. Your basic pedestrian New Yorker is about as grumpy a person as you'll ever meet. And most of Manhattan, despite major efforts to clean the place up, is still rather dirty. Recently I had the amusing experience of skirting piles of garbage on side streets between the Hilton Hotel and Rockefeller Center. I plan to return to England and tour around Steeples/Wiltshire looking up relatively close members of the English side of my odd family. But I'm not terribly interested in spending any time in London -- or New York City. :smile:

17. midlifebear

Gold Member

In answer to your claim: no, this thread does not have more to do with the mormon's stance of homosexuals and Ewetaw as a "Red State." I have posted and started other threads for that sort of stuff.

Point of fact, it turns out that more than 2 (two) employees in Ewetaw's Department of Social Services have been ferreted out for the list of illegal aliens residing in the Beehive State. And all have been summarily fired.

Something that hasn't made as much fury among the Ewetaw media is that approximately 30 Irish nationals have been discovered to currently be living and working in Ewetaw without any kind of legal visa. I find it rather amusing those DSS workers didn't include any of the 30 Irish currently "taking 'Mericuhn jobs and not paying taxes!" LOL!

#17 midlifebear, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Coming as I did from Boston (which truly is a lovely city), I found Manhattan to be an odd combination of hyperactive, monstrously over-scaled and butt-ugly. But I came to appreciate the charms of its faults as endearingly themselves after many long afternoon walks from my base in TriBeCa where I lived up to Central Park and beyond. As breathtaking as its landmarks can be, as a whole the city is not known for it beauty.

The people I came into daily contact with were initially gruff, loud (sometimes obnoxiously so) and overbearing. But like a soft-boiled egg, once you crack the shell they are soft and gooey. I came across more random acts of generosity and kindness in my year in Manhattan than anywhere else I've ever lived.

Boston is notorious for its "attitude" and the coldness with which it confronts strangers, which is really more aloof than actual cold. It's a place where anyone expecting any instant hospitality will be immediately disappointed. It's a terrible place to meet people, but once met, is one of the easiest place to find true, honest-to-gawd friends once the barrier has been eliminated. Compared to the instant rapport but skin-deep loyalties of FtL, I'd gladly trade back; but the weather is so dreadful and it's currently so absurdly expensive (due to its limited geography and the general excellence of its architecture), that's no longer in the cards I have in my hand.

Socially Paris is actually much more like Boston than NYC, especially as regards both the judgmentalism and well-educated intellectual snobbery that is so prevalent, especially against anglophones in general and Americans in particular. I found that the secret of success there is to learn to speak French as quickly as possible and without an obvious accent of any kind. As my French lover spoke no English to speak of, my first six months there were dedicated in large part to eliminating any trace of any accent. Once I'd eliminated both any hesitation and accent in my spoken French, I found them on an individual basis to be sweet, warm and kind (for the most part; but one thing I noticed very quickly is that hey are an snide and condescending with each other as they are to foreign tourists). Though they are by nature too reserved to be truly "soft and gooey", they are genuinely curious and possessed of a very cynical and dry wit. I met people there who've remained friends for life; I maintain a Facebook account primarily to facilitate communication with them, most especially the nieces and nephews of my lover who are now grown adults but who remember and love their Uncle Bbuckles with a deep and abiding admiration.

International travel is no longer an option for me, due to financial and health issues, but 20-25 years ago was an important part of my life. I visited Spain twice (Barcelona remains something of an ideal for me as an urban environment), and because of my relationship with my lover (when he was still alive) and my deep love for Paris in general, I made the trip more than five times from 1990 and 1997. If I could wave a magic wand and eliminate the barriers that currently prevent me from traveling, I would go there at least two or three times a year.

I've never been to London or anywhere else in the UK (I'd love to visit Scotland someday: both Glasgow and Edinburgh fascinate me). It frankly never interested me enough to make the effort. The English tourists I've met over the years in Spain, Paris and in the US didn't especially impress me, though I understand that one should never judge a nationality based on how well they comport themselves as tourists. But as a rule, they do not distinguish themselves as guests in foreign places. In Tender Is The Night, which remains on of my five favorite pieces of fiction ever, Fitzgerald keenly described them this way:

Americans are usually the worst of the worst in that regard: especially in Paris they are boorish, loud, aggressive oafs with little if any sensitivity to the unique cultural and social mores of French living, most especially in restaurants and bars. Though I originally made an effort to bring them up to speed on how beat to fit in and enjoy themselves, eventually I reached the point where I'd feign ignorance of English and avoid them altogether, especially when they thought that I'd act like an entirely unremunerated tour guide :frown1:

19. B_Anchor_Baby

B_Anchor_Baby New Member

I'm still not seeing how this thread isn't about Utah politics/religion. The concerns aren't about the individuals who released the list but how this is actually the states doing; all based on the premise that Utah is a racists and hateful place.

As to the 30 Irish nationals, did you check the list of 1300 people? I've looked around and no where does it say that they were all Mexican; though I'm sure simple proportionality dictates that the majority of the list is Mexcian nationals. I also wouldn't expect a list of 30 illegals to get as much attention as a list of 1,300; just doesn't make sense.

I see where you're going here: Utah is a racist place. It isn't. Not based on what you've provided here.

Draft saved Draft deleted