Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SO sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/08/brokeback.canceled.ap/index.html

Cnn.com said:
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain."

The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.
A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah." I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing. "It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

dlcs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sigh...

Such a chance to educate people about the ever-changing nature of love and the human condition, and they wimp out.

That makes me sad too, Lex.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They must be afraid that people seeing the movie could undermine their way of life. If so, that's not exactly a testament to the strength of that way of life.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I doubt the movie theatre has any reasons other than financial. They are scared of boycotts, and other fiscally related detriments. Movie theatre owners probably wouldn't have any type of idealogical concerns with the movies they show. If so then you wouldn't see movies with a lot of violence or drug use in these theatres as well. Movie theatre owners are in the business in order to make money, not to protect people from certain viewpoints. If they felt that dedicating screen time to a certain movie wouldn;t be profitable its perfectly fine for them to decide not to show it.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
I doubt the movie theatre has any reasons other than financial. They are scared of boycotts, and other fiscally related detriments.

Ask any theatre manager that decided to go ahead and screen The Last Temptation of Christ whether the boycotting and picketing was a detriment: they'll tell you, "Not at all!" Nothing guarantees a big turnout at a movie like controversy. Twice as many people as would attend if the movie had appeared quietly will show up just to see what the big fuss is about.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You're assuming that "Brokeback Mountain" has as big of a target audience in Utah as "The Last Temptation" had in other parts.

I am not saying that the controversy is what made them decide not to show it. In fact I have no idea why they decided not to show it. I'm only saying that it probably was financial. Boycotting is financial, picketing isn't. If they felt that people weren't going to pay to see the movie, then they really shouldn't waste the theatre space on it.

AlobarFLL

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not worried about the theater draw for this movie. I know it will win many awards and make acceptable numbers at the box office. What I can't wait to see is the numbers when they release the DVD. All too many people are afraid to be seen going into a movie like this. Just like Farenheit 9/11, those that succumb to the bullying of the narrow minded will just buy/rent it when it is released on disc.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
It saddens me to hear this. I get why the theatre complied with the movie pull, but I, being straight, recognize that there's a lot of cinematic value to this work that will go by unreached. Further than that, when I reviewed the movie, I saw a Christian reviewer totally blast it, citing how the whole movie is destroyed by the immoral sexual conduct and how Jack's and Ennis' relationship really destroys the sanctity of their marriages.

That review generated a lot of controversy, primarily because it got people discussing the intersection between socially and religiously prohibited relationships. And not showing this film takes away another good opportunity to teach, to talk, and to relate to others. That's the real shame here.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes Dee: It is sad that most people are too fucking thickheaded to be able to watch a movie that might challenge their viewpoint a little. Like a poster before said: it just reveals the strength of their viewpoint if they think a movie could dismantle it.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Some businesses are closed on Sundays.

Some don't sell beer.

Some leave adult magazines to the competition.

Some theaters don't show NC-17 movies.

Some businesses require shirts & shoes for service.

Some internet forums don't allow minors.

Thickheaded?

Sure, why not.

dlcs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Ask any theatre manager that decided to go ahead and screen The Last Temptation of Christ whether the boycotting and picketing was a detriment: they'll tell you, "Not at all!" Nothing guarantees a big turnout at a movie like controversy. Twice as many people as would attend if the movie had appeared quietly will show up just to see what the big fuss is about.
Notice, of course, that the reasoning behind both incidents boils down to sex.

In Last Temptation (for those who haven't seen it) Jesus came down from the cross to make love to Mary of Magdala. People went bugnuts! Jesus never had sex! Boo!

How do we know he didn't? That's what I wanna know.

Myself, I thought the music was pretty fierce.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since I'm the one who used "thickheaded" I'm guessing that was in reply to me. I meant the prospective audience that is too thickheaded to want to watch a movie that might challenege their views. I do not fault the theatre at all, they have a right to do what they want with their business.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
I doubt the movie theatre has any reasons other than financial. They are scared of boycotts, and other fiscally related detriments. Movie theatre owners probably wouldn't have any type of idealogical concerns with the movies they show.

Wrongo! The man who owns this particular Utah theatre chain, and the Utah Jazz is a Mormon and obviously based this "business" decision on his personal faith.

No Mormon has ever sucked a cock you know.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So what you are saying is that simply because he is mormon he is incapable of having any type of motivation for anything he does except his faith? Thats a huge bit of prejudice, and I am not prepared to jump on that wagon with you.

By the way, if he is a mormon( and therefore incapable of separating his life from his faith) why did he ever even have a contract to screen the movie in the first place?

Maybe it wasn't the owner's personal faith that canned this movie, but the audiences faith. If your audience was overwhelmingly against homosexuality, would you think it was a wise business decision to screen a movie like this?

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He is a Mormon.
And his company took it upon themselves to make the judgement about what is and isn't appropriate for the community at large.

You don't see a problem here?

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah." I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

What a bitch.

Seriously, I mean come on. How conservitive do you get? Mormans are the ones who believe in marrying more than one woman. But loving and marrying a man? IT IS THE SATAN PROJECT DESTINED TO BRING DOWN CHRIST!

Jeez, what a bunch of blockheads. Gay people are people just like anyone else. Get over it.

Well, it is a good movie, whatever they think of it. Now I just need to see it... :biggerGrin:

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
If in fact they were wrong about what the community wanted, then they missed out on making money, and a business that misses out on too many opportunites like that won't last long.
I guess that's how it's supposed to work in theory, but I don't think the market resolves social issues like this very well. For making that kind of change I have more faith in community action, although it doesn't have a perfect track record either.