Utah Theatre Nixes BrokeBack Mountain

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well, its their loss! I bet a lot of people are going to want to come see Brokeback Mountain, but they will miss out on the money. Ah well. I guess it is good that they are doing what they believe is right, instead of the thing that is profitable to them. Although I don't think they know that they are insulting people...

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Why is everyone automatically assuming that this movie could make a lot of money in Utah? Also, what makes you think its necessarily a good movie? Just because its about gay people, doesn't make it good. (or bad for that matter)

I haven't seen it, so I will reserve judgement.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
When I want to see a particular movie I don't go to a single theater and demand to see it. I check the paper, the internet and the telephone for places, dates and times. As long as there is more than one movie theater in Salt Lake City, what's the problem?

As for mfoley's remark "Mormans are the ones who believe in marrying more than one woman," that unlawful act gets a member excommunicated from the Church.

AlobarFLL

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I he refused to show "Brokeback Mountain", I assume he skipped "Latter Days" as well!

Another excellent movie for anyone open minded.:087:

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'm not saying that I assume it is a good movie because it has gay men in it. I am saying that because it gets rave reviews, and is supposed to win all sorts of awards.

As for the marrying thing, I think it is mormans, isn't it? I'm not sure. But I thought it was the mormans in Utah. Not sure... Sorry for assuming, incase anyone is morman..

OOOPS! *crycry*

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
what type of change are you talking about? Forcing theatres to show movies they don't want to, to people who don't to watch them?
As thrilling as that would be for me, I'm actually talking about changing people's attitudes so that issues like this don't come up in the first place. But I agree, if all you have to do is go see it somewhere else, then yeah, no problem, whatever. And thanks for the reminder that it's not good just because it's about gay people, lol.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I downloaded the short story. I think that maybe the written version is better. I don't know if I want to see the movie after reading the short story. Even though Jack and Ennis had some very hot times together, the story doesn't end so hot. It seems like a downer. A let down.

If people really want to see Brokeback in Utah, there are alternatives. Maybe the movie studios that produced Brokeback could hold special screenings at another theater or gay venue if the demand is there for it. People can write the movie studios and find an happy solution. Or wait until it comes out on DVD.

At least, you can read the Annie Proulx's short story. No one can prevent you from reading that. It is a great story (with more detail than what Hollywood would give you). It is kind of like The Color Purple--the movie. The book was more descriptive and detailed than what the movie offered.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
dlcs said:
Notice, of course, that the reasoning behind both incidents boils down to sex.

In Last Temptation (for those who haven't seen it) Jesus came down from the cross to make love to Mary of Magdala. People went bugnuts! Jesus never had sex! Boo!

How do we know he didn't? That's what I wanna know.

Myself, I thought the music was pretty fierce.

The same thing happened when Jesus Christ Superstar premiered. Religious fanatics didn't like the telling of Jesus' story as a "rock opera". That evil rock music! Felt it was blasphemous.

Personally, I don't like stories that end bad into movies. Neither did I see nor do I own "The Passion of The Christ". I do own Jesus Christ Superstar--the DVD movie though. Great music.

I think that Jesus was a sexual man.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I seldom go to the cinemas, but I'll look forward to renting it when it comes out.

I'll be interested to see if this movie helps open doors for more conversation and social awareness. If it does that, it won't matter so much if it's a spectacular cinematic achievement. It may help pave the way for better things to come.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One idea that seems to be missing in many of these posts is the difference between the theater owner (read: privately owned business) making a decision about what is shown in the theater that he owns, (he owns it, it's his decision) and the implications if it had been a case of the government forbidding that he show it (censorship).

Although I personally may not agree with the owner making that decision, it IS his choice - just as he decides whether his concession sells Coca-Cola vs Pepsi products, or Hershey vs Nestle products, or if he shows Brokeback Mountain vs The Chronicles of Narnia.

On the other hand, if the owner WANTED to show it, but was pressured by government or church officials to forego it, then that is a different story. That's just as stupid as if I said "I find chocolate cake to be offensive to my taste buds, therefore, I want to prevent anyone in the world from eating chocolate cake." Duh, that one is a no-brainer.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The author has said that this is NOT a gay cowboy movie (the guys are RANCH hands, or wanna-be cowboys). She has said that this movie is about the "destructiveness of rural homophobia. Ennis is not conused; he is a homophobe and he hates himself."

KinkGuy said:
He is a Mormon.
And his company took it upon themselves to make the judgement about what is and isn't appropriate for the community at large.

You don't see a problem here?
KinkGuy--These are the moments when I am glad I live on the Coasts in a big city where people can actually make choices for THEMSELVES instead of business owners restricting choice. Sigh. and YES, I understand that as a business onwer, he can chose NOT to show the movie, just as I, as a private citizen, can chose not to like it and tell the world. ;)

GottaBigOne said:
From the previews it doesn't seem like that great a movie. It's probably pretty entertaining, but not something I'd pay $10.50 to see.
Irrelevant. The previews aren't good (I admit) but remember that the are trying to NOT put anyone off (given the subject matter) and entice at the same time (given the subject matter). Plus, I only pay matinee prices ($7) here for ANY movie. NO Movie is worth the evening price of admissions, IMHO.

GottaBigOne said:
Why is everyone automatically assuming that this movie could make a lot of money in Utah? Also, what makes you think its necessarily a good movie? Just because its about gay people, doesn't make it good. (or bad for that matter)
The story that the movie is based on is excellent and it IS a good movie. Few reviewers ANYWHERE have said otherwise. Also, the fact that it might not make money is also irrelevant. That was NOT why is was pulled.

When Brokeback Mountain was in limited release (in NY, LA, Chi-Town and a few other places), it was on 52 screens and in that weekend, posted the HIGHEST per-screen average of ANY movie EVER. I am going to guess that money was not the motivation here.

From statistics, we know that at least 1-12% of Utah IS gay, right?

maxman

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:eek: what did you expect in Utah?
i was there not long ago..could not buy a pack of cigs or get a drink..till the taxi driver took me to where all the "mormans go"
hell 1-5 wifes, fuck the sheep , cows and horses and still go to chruch and good christians.
-
dont want the kids to see the "real world"
wish i was there to take care of your needs..lol:eek: :tongue: :wink:
-
there is more sex in Utah and most other states of it size..but all locked in the closet..

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
Business made in Ny is no barometer for business made in UTAH!!!!

There you go, selectively reading posts again. Shall I research exaclty which cities it was released in? Or should we all just write off Utah and every other midwestern town when it comes to anything that itsn't White and Christain? (oopps, I'm sorry, the OWNER alredy did that--nevermind).

I agree that business in those two states are different. But I'm going to guess that SOME business in Utah is better than NO business in Utah.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm going to guess that SOME business in Utah is better than NO business in Utah.
Not necessarily. In order to trun a profit the business has to reach a certain level of slaes, if the level of sales doesn't offset the cost, its better not to dedicate screen time to the movie and instead have a different, more profitable movie shown.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
maxman said:
:eek: what did you expect in Utah?
i was there not long ago..could not buy a pack of cigs or get a drink..till the taxi driver took me to where all the "mormans go"
hell 1-5 wifes, fuck the sheep , cows and horses and still go to chruch and good christians.
-
dont want the kids to see the "real world"
wish i was there to take care of your needs..lol:eek: :tongue: :wink:
-
there is more sex in Utah and most other states of it size..but all locked in the closet..

And the skin off your nose is .... ?

There's a cafe' near my home that is known for the best chicken & dumplings around but I personally don't go there because it's known as a 'biker' hangout (lots of 911 calls for fights, etc.). No skin off my nose - I just get the second best chicken and dumplings at a family restaurant downtown - and enjoy the ambience.

I guess I could just chuck conventional wisdom and take my family down to the biker place for dinner but I don't feel like dancing on the bar in white platform shoes a la Pee Wee Herman, while the kids slink out the back door.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
GottaBigOne said:
Not necessarily. In order to trun a profit the business has to reach a certain level of slaes, if the level of sales doesn't offset the cost, its better not to dedicate screen time to the movie and instead have a different, more profitable movie shown.

GBO--We're talking about a MEGAPLEX here. I am guessing that devoting one screen to Brokebeack Mountain would not kill the guy's business with King Kong, Munich, Narnia, and Hostle also playing. I mean, c'mon GBO.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's not about whether it will kill him or not. A good businessman is always looking to MAXIMIZE profits, and if that means devoting one more screen to "Narnia" at the expense of Brokeback Mountain, then thats what it means. Should all multiplexes then always devote a screen to "Fight Club" just because its a good movie, and won't kill them???
If no one is in the seats, there is not point in showing the movie, whether or not the owner can afford to or not.