Vacationing in Mexico

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Odipherous Pitts, Nov 23, 2009.

1. D_Odipherous Pitts

D_Odipherous Pitts Account Disabled

My wife and I have talked about a trip to Mexico in the winter or early spring for more than 15 years now but for some reason or another we still haven't made it. It seems we're the only people who haven't been there!

This coming year we have vowed to make the trip and would like your recommnedation on where is the best place to go and why. We are not party people so we aren't necessarily looking for a party atmosphere. We would prefer an area with lots of nice beach area, clear water for snorkeling and swiming, and perhaps other sites in the area to see.

If you have a specific resort in an area to recommend that would be helpful also. We are looking for an all inclusive type resort.

We also want to know what not to do or to things to avoid in getting ripped off, etc. Any hints or suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

2. Flashy

Gold Member

it depends...i spent every christmas in Acapulco for 30 years.... but the last time i went was about a decade ago and Acapulco is not so good anymore.

my parents still go 3 times a year though, and they have had wonderful experiences in Zihuatenejo and Cabo San Lucas.

i would suggest those two since they are on the Pacific side, wheras places like Cancun, while certainly very nice are on the Atlantic side, and less reliable for weather consistency unlike the Pacific side.

you are going to get great weather in Zihua and Cabo, not to mention tons of great snorkeling and scuba diving, especially in Cabo, where you can dive near a sea lion colony and all the pups come up and try to play with you...not to mention you can sea an incredible dive opportunity with giant rays, that is incredible...and you can dive on the Pacific side or in the Sea of Cortez side.

there are also lots of resorts in Cabo where you can probably find the best deal that you were looking for.

Zihuatenejo is beautiful too, but the food in Cabo is better IMO.

the Tides Hotel in Zihua has lots of good package specials on rooms plus their spa etc. and have a wider variety of rooms/suites available, plus it is right on the beach, which is always advisable in Mexico.

Zihuatanejo Vacation: Zihuatanejo Packages and Specials at The Tides Zihuatanejo

laCasa Que Qanta is very nice in Zihua also

Vacation Packages Mexico: La Casa Que Canta La Ropa Beach Zihuatanejo Resort

Cabo San Lucas has *TONS* of great hotels right on the beach and many more choices...it has many more restaurants and fun nightlife, without being "party"...Zihuatenejo is more sleepy and smaller

3. D_Odipherous Pitts

D_Odipherous Pitts Account Disabled

Flashy, thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate your insight. Anyone else?

4. Flashy

Gold Member

no problem...i think you would have the best time in Cabo hands down.

this was a great dive service there, and their full day trip to LaPaz, is where the Sea Lion colony is...plus you can see Grey Whales up close (incredible) Whale Sharks...highly recommend it as i have done these...it is unforgettable and will be the best trip if you are a water/snorkeling/scuba fan.

Dive Sites Cabo San Lucas

also, this site has alot of activity lists...plus the whale watches...the Grey Whales are amazing at Magdalena Bay...i highly recommend it

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Dive-Sites.htm

#4 Flashy, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can second Cabo and Zihuatanejo as great places. I've been to Zihuatanejo three times since 1982. Always stay at the Tres MarĂ­as Hotel on the edge of town. Simple, clean, family run, great view from the terrace. The abuelo will take you marlin fishing in his crappy old boat if you can get him out of his hammock in the "lobby". The beaches are around the bay are nice, Los Gatos was my favorite and is about 15 mins by water taxi from the dock near the hotel.

I don't do all inclusive, so sorry a can't help you with that. Ixtapa is near by and has lots of those type places.

Draft saved Draft deleted