Vacuum cleaners

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
LOL, I was talking about Swiffer pad residue, not Dyson residue. :eek::tongue:

Stainless steel scrubby?! You're a brave man, bbucko!

Well, whoever came up with the brilliant idea of white textured porcelain tile as a suitable flooring surface should be stoned :tongue:

I can't believe I almost bought a Kirby a couple of years ago. A salesman came around (complete with his coach on the phone), and had me hypnotized. (Here is an example of the Kirby scam) Fortunately, my hunny refused to let me spend that much money on a vacuum cleaner.

Kirby operates like some sort of bizarre vacuum cult; they're just creepy. The roommate who owned one was totally bought-in, but he was a gullible dullard.

As to the guy in the vid you posted: wow. He's definitely operating with some sort of enhancement. For his sake I hope it's just a LOT of coffee. I cannot imagine attempting anything as stressful as cold-calling door-to-door sales, especially something as absurdly expensive as that. He must have been desperate to even try.

That having been said (and I don't know how the commission structure is explained to n00bs), it sound like he presumed that his draw against commissions was a salary: it's not. I worked for many years under a variety of commission plans, including some that paid a skeletal "training wage" that was a requirement for the first week or two. Draws may be guaranteed income, but they're basically an interest-free loan employers provide until the commissions kick in, and they're always paid back. A $1600 per month gross sounds like a draw to me; it's a way-low amount even as a base salary.

Besides, 5% for something as impractical as a "$4000" vacuum should be a warning bell right there. Even furniture pays better rates.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was going to suggest a Miele, but wasn't sure if they sold them in the US.
I have had mine forever now, and I like how the parts aren't made of thin plastic, that breaks if you touch it too hard.
Something on my Miele was broken a while ago and I called their support asking if I could get a new piece, cause I wasn't gonna buy a whole new one because of one piece.
They sent this piece to me for free! Now that's support!
Yes. Miele products are really simple, strong and quiet. I have had one of their vacs for 20 years in Canada and another one here. They never break down. Also have a Miele washing machine and it's the best overpriced appliance I've ever owned. It is also the last washer I'll ever need to buy. The beast weighs 10kg more than anything close to comparable.

Well, whoever came up with the brilliant idea of white textured porcelain tile as a suitable flooring surface should be stoned :tongue:

Kirby operates like some sort of bizarre vacuum cult; they're just creepy. The roommate who owned one was totally bought-in, but he was a gullible dullard.
The summer between 11th and 12th grade I answered a help wanted ad that didn't specify what the job was. I went for the interview and it turned out to be a Kirby assistant salesman training session. My mum had had those guys around to the house once and my instinct was to run. I thought I'd be polite and then make a get away at lunch. Ha! No way were they letting us out for their sights! We all went together to the same sandwich shop and came back together and had to sit through their BS for the whole day. I didn't go back, but they kept calling laying on a guilt trip about how I wasted their time and money and how if you don't work for it, success will never come your way. Fuck, all I wanted was some gas money for the Austin.
Finally I give the phone to my dad and they never called again.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have three vacuum-cleaners and a dust buster. I have a minor sinus issue, so keeping the place dust-free helps a lot. A Dyson is my general vaccum. It's very good, but I find it hard to use in tight corners and the hose isn't as powerful as it could be. The older Dyson models were better, in my opinion. They had less features, but the build-quality was excellent. Now, production is on a budget - like most things.

My second vacuum is a Panasonic. It's a tough, powerful and portable little beast. I use it for outdoor cleaning and rougher jobs - like cleaning-up brick dust etc. It's a 90's model and was once thrown down the stairs by an angry 'friend'. A bannister was damaged, but the vacuum survived.

My third and favourite vacuum is a Numatic 'Henry'. He's powerful, portable and well-made. I use him for general indoor tasks where the Dyson isn't suitable or can't manage. Why is he my favourite and why do I call it 'him', you ask? Well, look here. The only vacuum you would ever want to cuddle. Here he is with his girlfriend, Hetty. There's also a Charles, George, Harry and James - they all come in different colours and have different features, I believe. Henry is the classic, though.

My dust buster is a Black & Decker and as you'd expect, is used for the dust in those tight spaces. Like, behind a computer etc. It's fairly powerful and there's a model that can handle water, but it's the least used.

*leaves to cuddle Henry*

Last edited:
S

superbot

I have three vacuum-cleaners and a dust buster. I have a minor sinus issue, so keeping the place dust-free helps a lot. A Dyson is my general vaccum. It's very good, but I find it hard to use in tight corners and the hose isn't as powerful as it could be. The older Dyson models were better, in my opinion. They had less features, but the build-quality was excellent. Now, production is on a budget - like most things.

My second vacuum is a Panasonic. It's a tough, powerful and portable little beast. I use it for outdoor cleaning and rougher jobs - like cleaning-up brick dust etc. It's a 90's model and was once thrown down the stairs by an angry 'friend'. A bannister was damaged, but the vacuum survived.

My third and favourite vacuum is a Numatic 'Henry'. He's powerful, portable and well-made. I use him for general indoor tasks where the Dyson isn't suitable or can't manage. Why is he my favourite and why do I call it 'him', you ask? Well, look here. The only vacuum you would ever want to cuddle. Here he is with his girlfriend, Hetty. There's also a Charles, George, Harry and James - they all come in different colours and have different features, I believe. Henry is the classic, though.

My dust buster is a Black & Decker and as you'd expect, is used for the dust in those tight spaces. Like, behind a computer etc. It's fairly powerful and there's a model that can handle water, but it's the least used.

*leaves to cuddle Henry*
....and yes,my new Spear and Jackson hedge trimmer is my new best friend!!! ............:wink:

gwmasiahk

Experimental Member
Media
I just bought an Electrolux 'ergorapido', odd name but I like it as it can be used with a full long handle, or it can be detached to use as a portable hand section. It works well on both my tiles and carpets and I use the hand section on my furniture.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When i was teenager i had a job after school working for Kirby. I did phone solicitation. My job was to set up appointments for the salesman to demonstrate the Kirby vacuum. Customers were promised a free set of steak knives if they allowed a demonstration. My ear would hurt from all the hang ups. Click... Click.... Click. We would go through perhaps 50 phone numbers to get 10 appointments.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The last six or seven I have purchased have all sucked... in the bad way. And the last two died without permission.

Suggestions for a vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors (no pun intended)?!

Get a broom and sweep, sweep, sweep. It saves on electric too.:smile:

We have a rainbow vacuum. Although I think its over priced it cleans carpet, floors, curtains, heck we even use it to dust things. It works, a bit heavy but has wheels, also works as air cleanser.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
last 12 years or so NZ has been flooded with cheap superfluous vaccums, dust busters etc
coincides with Chinas rise in getting all these el cheapo electrical products out there.. as low as 28$ new,
been worse of late now its everything from shavers to fans to kitchenware
grrrrrrrrrrrr..NZ, Chinas dump market

I may be coming WAY late to this thread, but I've also experienced similar vacuum cleaner hardships so I feel I must chime in. There was something about bringing a vacuum cleaner into my house which would immediately curse the device with a one month lifespan. Ultimately, and after reading a ton of Amazon reviews, I purchased a shiny red LG Kompressor which has lasted over a year and a half now. I hope you've found an adequate sucking device since you posted this! ;)

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have been using the Kenmore canisters from Sears for a loooong time..I do not invest my money in any other brand. I buy the ones around $ 300.00

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My Kirby will not die. But the bags are so expensive and it's making me deaf.

If you are offered a Kirby, RUN.

Black & Decker makes a floor model dust buster with a handle that does just fine.

Shepardson

Superior Member
Media
My Kirby will not die. But the bags are so expensive and it's making me deaf.

If you are offered a Kirby, RUN.
I've gutted and cleaned up many a vacuum. We have a Generation3 Kirby here which works well when it works, but it has had several serious issues in the past, requiring parts, and it's like lugging around a small car engine. They over-designed it (and poorly so). If you get back to some of the non-self propelled old school Kirbys, you'll see where they got their rep from. More or less indestructible, and you can still get parts several decades later if needed.

On noise- There are two bagless "Cleanview" Bissells I've messed with here which must have been someone's idea of a joke. They start off normal, then after a few months, they're so loud they make your teeth rattle. People in online reviews said the same thing, so I know it's not just mine. I've fully disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed them, which quiets them back down for a while, but they ultimately get back to shrieking. Other than that, they do OK for vacuum duty if you're willing to constantly clean them, but nothing does carpeted stairs and couches like my Kirbys with their hose on.

I need to look into that Dyson thing some of these folks are talking about. That's one brand I've never owned.

Take Care