Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK - Maybe not a woman's "issue"
But wanting some female opinions.

Valentine's Day is approaching.
I know that the requirement is that at a certain point it is expected that a man give flowers.
Then there is a point where they are required.
Failure to do so will result in the man ending up in the (dare I say it) dog house.

So there are so many choices with flowers.
Roses
Mixed Bouquets with roses
Mixed Bouquets
Tulips

So dear women, care to educate us men?
What flowers?
At what point in a relationship is the dozen long stem roses too soon?

Flowers and candy too?

I thank you in advance for helping me and all the confused men needing help with this.
If there are objections to this being in Women's Issues I'll flag a moderator and take my flowers elsewhere.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For Valentines Day think RED.
Different colored roses mean different things.
Red means, love, lust and passion.
If you are sending a lass flowers for Valentines Day then that's the day to send that bouquet of 1 dozen long stemmed red roses.
I do adore the long stemmed bouquet but I also love them mixed with Star Gazer Lilies.
It's a fabulous blend of the traditional and the exotic.
I think it's always nice to have them presented in a nice vase with a card with some hand written note inside.

Chocolates are nice but not a huge must have.
The same with stuffed plush toys or balloons.

When I'm sent such a beautiful token by someone I adore, I preserve the petals and keep them in a little organza draw string bag with the card and I take pains to write the date and the year on the back.
These little keep sakes are great to look back on fondly and remember.

Last edited:

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I love the red varigated roses or the heirloom roses, they smell wonderful and to me that is the smell of love. I could care less about chocolates unless they are from an exquisite local gourmet chocolatier and NO stuffed animals or balloons! I know that I stopped liking those when I was 10 years old.

Now a beautifully wrapped lingerie item picked out by you just for her to go with the roses...Perfect! But for god's sake DO NOT get the wrong size or a One Size Fits All outfit! You'll be in the dog house for sure! Good Luck Pitbull!

Last edited:

Luvhmlrg

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I hate the idea of my husband buying me flowers, candy or jewelry because a holiday dictates that he should. I would rather he give me a gift because he saw it and thought of me. A rose cut from the yard would mean more to me then him buying over priced roses that don't even smell good.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think you should forget about flowers and chocolates, and think about what's right for HER. Think about the things she loves, then get her something related to that, and make it personal. If she loves flowers, flowers are actually appropriate, but if she doesn't like flowers or is indifferent, flowers aren't appropriate.

The trick is to make it about her (or him), rather than just ticking the Valentine's Day boxes.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We do not celebrate Valentine's Day because it's one of those faux corporate created holidays. And I don't want him buying me flowers because a greeting card company says he should in order to be a good husband.

That being said, I love receiving flowers. Tulips and sweetheart roses among my favorites.

I'd rather be surprised by a random gift of flowers on any other day besides Valentines.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pick flowers that are right for her...what does she like? As much as I love to get roses...the ones that florists sell sink. I want fragrance.

I would rather you make dinner and then cuddle on the couch the rest of the evening...or better yet...the bed.

D_Gaylegate Greatfloppye

Just Browsing
Media
Personally, I hate the idea of my husband buying me flowers, candy or jewelry because a holiday dictates that he should. I would rather he give me a gift because he saw it and thought of me. A rose cut from the yard would mean more to me then him buying over priced roses that don't even smell good.
Thank you, thats how I feel as well.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll add my preferences. I like a mix of flowers. Roses are pretty, but everyone gets roses and I have roses in my garden that I refuse to cut. I kind of like wild flowers the best, which I know you can't really purchase. I don't really eat chocolate so those would be put away into a cubbard and probably eaten by someone else (eg. my Father.) I adore stuffed animals. My Dad gave my a stuffed panda bear on my birthday this year and while I'm rather old I still think it's cute, it's sitting on my desk right now :)

I think that you have to know what's right for the woman you are with. If you are new to a relationship roses are a good gift. It's not about buying roses or anything else, it's the thought behind it. Once you know your partner better you know what makes them tick. Some women like tradition/ some don't, some like expensive things/some don't, some like hand made gifts/ some don't, etc. etc. I'm sure whatever you do will be lovely and appreciated if you put your heart into it.

D_Winthrop Woodcock

Account Disabled
Media
I think you should forget about flowers and chocolates, and think about what's right for HER. Think about the things she loves, then get her something related to that, and make it personal. If she loves flowers, flowers are actually appropriate, but if she doesn't like flowers or is indifferent, flowers aren't appropriate.

The trick is to make it about her (or him), rather than just ticking the Valentine's Day boxes.

^^ what she said!

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally, I hate when men get me flowers. Entirely too cliche and overdone. If you want to get me something I'll appreciate, get creative. Get unique. Get me something personal. The only time I have truly appreciated a man getting me flowers was when they were handpicked wild flowers that he had picked up on the side of the highway on the way to my house. THAT was sweet.

cece

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a love-hate relationship with flowers. I love receiving these beautiful and delicate symbols of love but I hate seeing them die, and seeing his money withering away. I personally prefer a gift that is thoughtful, personal, and that I can keep. (Even so, fake flowers that never-ever die is a no-no, ok! :eek: :biggrin1:)

I think women's preferences are so wide and varied that there's a chance that the advice given here may not suit your girl. You'll just have to figure out what she likes and get her something that's right for her. And keep in mind, "things" are not necessarily always the way to go. I'd be just as happy if a guy gave me a little "love coupon booklet" - kisses, massages, hot sex :)tongue:) that I can redeem from him throughout the week. (I wish my man was reading this...:rolleyes:)

Shawn8

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I always feel bad when I get cut roses. I much prefer a live plant. Its too sad when the roses die.

Yesss! I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Frankly it's a win-win with live flowers: you get to see them bloom all year round! Well ... most of the year. :tongue:

S8

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I stand by my heirloom roses. They are wonderful if you can find them, I also want to add that peonies and hydrangeas are favorites on mine too and they are very long lasting. I kill every living plant I touch, so it's a moot point if the flower is cut and arranged in a vase or if it's in a potted one. I'll eventually have to throw it out anyway so I'll take the georgeous "dead" flowers everytime. If your girl is anything like me, find out if she has a green thumb before going the live route and save yourself some trouble!

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We do not celebrate Valentine's Day because it's one of those faux corporate created holidays. And I don't want him buying me flowers because a greeting card company says he should in order to be a good husband.

That being said, I love receiving flowers. Tulips and sweetheart roses among my favorites.

I'd rather be surprised by a random gift of flowers on any other day besides Valentines.

Not for nothing, but corporate America, or other country no less, did not create Valentine's day.

There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine's Day. Some experts state that it originated from St. Valentine, a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D., the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. Legend also says that St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine". Other aspects of the story say that Saint Valentine served as a priest at the temple during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Claudius then had Valentine jailed for defying him. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honour St. Valentine.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK - Maybe not a woman's "issue"
But wanting some female opinions.

Valentine's Day is approaching.
I know that the requirement is that at a certain point it is expected that a man give flowers.
Then there is a point where they are required.
Failure to do so will result in the man ending up in the (dare I say it) dog house.

So there are so many choices with flowers.
Roses
Mixed Bouquets with roses
Mixed Bouquets
Tulips

So dear women, care to educate us men?
What flowers?
At what point in a relationship is the dozen long stem roses too soon?

Flowers and candy too?

I thank you in advance for helping me and all the confused men needing help with this.
If there are objections to this being in Women's Issues I'll flag a moderator and take my flowers elsewhere.

I'm with the other girls on the potted flower spiel. I love getting planters of Tulips. Candy is nice, but I'd prefer a home-baked treat :) Like cookies or brownies. Showing that the man took the time to make something for me.

But what do I know :) I've never had a Valentine! Bah Humbug!