Valentine's Day Flowers

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Not for nothing, but corporate America, or other country no less, did not create Valentine's day.

There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine's Day. Some experts state that it originated from St. Valentine, a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D., the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. Legend also says that St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine". Other aspects of the story say that Saint Valentine served as a priest at the temple during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Claudius then had Valentine jailed for defying him. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honour St. Valentine.

Thank you! I was going to post nearly the same thing! Glad you cleared up the op's misconception! St. Valentine also defied a roman dictate against marriages for non citizens I think it was and he would marry couples in secret. It's been a long time since I've read the entire story of his life, but Valentine's Day was in honor of him and a rememberance of love. There are sooo many things we can do to show love on that day. My kids make brownies or cookies and give out those to their friends and teachers, I still like flowers and lingerie though...with great sex to follow of course! :tongue:

D_DanLather

Account Disabled
Media
Personally I have found that my wife loves it when I surprise her with a card and flowers on spur of the moment feelings, this Valentines day is not her favorite day, since it is not a special day to remember just a commercial event....I also found out that she keeps the cards I get her on spur of the moment, but the valentine cards of the past have been recycled....Oh well, gives me food for thought and something to work on all year along, excluding Feb 14th......P.S. She loves Carnations, and nothing Red....

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
"it is expected"? Really? Somebody neglected to supply me with this manual.

My ex once tried to get me a rose on the spur of the moment and as we were newlyweds I wanted him to save the dollar and get me a pancake turner instead. Should have seen the end coming after that, eh?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
TheBoyfriend thinks I deserve pampering this year, so it's a spa package with a massage, chocolates, and champagne while he takes care of the baby. He also thought of a very special personal gift, one that he's spent weeks researching to get just right, based upon my love for a particular piece of art, and he wants to display this gift in a special place. I have to say, he's outdone himself this year!

I also love flowers, potted, cut, picked, or bought, it's all thoughtful to me, but maybe I'm just easily please. The only exception is if I've been given flowers for the last 2 or 3 gifts, I start to feel less like it's thoughtful and more like you're on autopilot. I love chocolate, unless I've told you I'm concerned about my weight or I've told you I'm on a diet, then I might feel conflicted because I feel like you're undermining my efforts, or maybe not paying attention to my concerns.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
All the suggestions are great. But really, it's all about the lady herself. Perhaps she doesn't like roses (yes there are some that don't) or chocolates. Make it all about her. Hopefully the ladies are remembering the guys too. The best flowers I ever got were made from feathers, given to me by my nephew. He was 3 or 4 at the time and he said, "Auntie I got fake ones cuz real ones die and I want you to have these cuz they last forever." Yup, that's my boy! The best love ever :)

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A day early but the thought was there

Heart shaped pink chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries.
Champagne.
2 Dozen Long Stem Roses

Well received.

Attachments

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A day early but the thought was there

Heart shaped pink chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries.
Champagne.
2 Dozen Long Stem Roses

Well received.

Wow! Lucky lady! I bet it was well-received. :smile:

Good Valentine's Day present. I'd be happy with it, too.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, Hootie.
You are such a tease.
Don't want to show us.

http://www.peninsulagardens.com/image/34144066.jpg

I miss roses that actually smell like roses.

I do, too!

Roses that smell like a rose don't last as long as the long stemmed ones at the florist. When it comes to selecting roses, you have to choose between scent and shelf-life, unless you choose a living rose plant. A good compromise is a bouquet that mixes long stem roses with another flower, like tuberose, which smell incredible!

moon_beam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Um, why flowers? The poor things die so quickly and it's such a waste. How about a plant that she can keep? Jewel orchids are particularly gorgeous and very easy to care for.

Can't find a jewel orchid? Why not an old-fashioned, but never out of style, hand-written love note (or, for the more literary gifted, love letter)?
(sigh) Now that's romance! Not cliched or overdone and straight from the heart.

I have kept every single love note/letter I've ever received. I've only kept one flower bouquet (my first dozen roses).