Valerie Plame

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Senor Rubirosa,

The Washington Times reported that the FBI was going door to door in Plame and Wilson's neighborhood in Oct 2005 (just before Fitz made his presentation to the press), asking neighbors if they were aware of who she was and what she did. They also reported that many in the neighborhood had stated to reporters in summer 05 that who she was and what she did wasn't a state secret...at the basic level.

Even though she tried backing out of it as soon as she said it, Andrea Mitchell admitted that Plame's ID was not a state secret: Question from Alan Murray on CNBC's Capital Report:
Do we have any idea how widely known it was in Washington that Joe Wilson's wife worked for the CIA? " Mitchell Answer: "It was widely known among those of us who cover the intelligence community and who were actively engaged in trying to track down who among the foreign service community was the envoy to Niger. So a number of us began to pick up on that."

Victoria Toensing was the chief legal counsel that helped guide and formulate the bill that is the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 that the Plame issue rests on. Her opinion of what the legal wrangling was, as of Oct 2005, is as follows:

Congress intended to criminalize only (Toensing's emphasis)disclosures that "clearly represent a conscious and pernicious effort to identify and expose agents with the intent to impair or impede the foreign intelligence activities of the United States…."

Similarly, a conspiracy "to discredit Wilson for his statements critical of the White House’s use of intelligence," another reported possible Fitzgerald approach, does not violate any law. If it did, every administration since George Washington would be guilty of a crime.

DC,

The 1982 bill wasn't something written on the back of a cocktail napkin. I question how well the Bush admin knew the basics of the bill when they decided how to respond to the initial phases of the Plame issue...when Bush decided to sound like the good sheriff promising to root out 'evildoers' from his admin if "involved".

Also, when the press grabs ahold of something it tends to gain "ANSWER ME NOW" importance, but not necessarily "ANSWER ME SMARTLY" rights. Kind of like the gas situation. Gas got near 3 bucks a gallon a couple of months ago and one side was wanting to cut checks to consumers and the other side was wanting to suspend the gas tax. The press got their "now" answers but not necessarily "smart" ones.

Scott McClellan gave the "now" answer he was told to give, no doubt, when the Plame issue first broke. But to vow to get rid of people for "involvement" leaves the door wiiiiide open to interpretation as to what "involvement" means and constitutes...which ain't "smart". And in light of the admin's passionate foes, would there ever be a satisfactory interpretation unless it led to the entire admin resigning en masse?

I don't think the Peter Fitzgerald I watched last fall has too many notions about "saving the Bush admin" running around inside his head. If you recall, he was basically given the power of an Independent Counsel in his job title of Special Prosecutor. His prosecutorial track record does not have any indications he is a man want to leaving obvious evidence lying on the table.

And DC, I said in a thread last summer that the first ever political article, when in middle school, dealt with Clinton and it was written by Gerald Ford. He was advocating the Senate censure Clinton for what he did, but drop all other ideas. That made the most sense to me then, and now, regardless of what he technically might or might not have been guilty of...considering the strictly personal nature of the issue.

Jeffin90620

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
If this were actually the case, then why the "official" response of the White House in the beginning? ("We will find out who is responsible, and they will be punished...") And why did Judith Miller do some time? If there were nothing to "out", then why was that not the official response from the outset?
Do you recall "Rathergate", that inept attempt to swing the election by releasing obviously forged documents alleging that special favors were pulled for George W. Bush while he was in the ROTC? It cost Dan Rather and 5 other people their jobs.

It took about a day for the first questions to arise, but about a week for the whole pack of lies to be so thoroughly debunked that not even Al Franken would try to support the charges.

During this whole thing, the White House said just about nothing. What could they have said? If the charges had been true, it is quite possible that GW Bush wouldn't have known about it. He volunteered to go to Vietnam 3 times but was turned down each time because he didn't have enough flight hours, so if his parents tried to pull strings to keep him from going, they probably wouldn't have told him about it.

So... we get to the Valerie Plame affair. Bush is questioned during a press conference and says something along the lines of "if there was a leak, the leaker will be punished." Well, duh. This is not proof that the Bush Administration knew a crime had been committed, only a statement of the obvious (e.g. "lawbreakers will be found and arrested").

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
brainzz_n_dong said:
...The Washington Times reported that the FBI was going door to door ...
...Also, when the press grabs ahold of something it tends to gain "ANSWER ME NOW" importance, but not necessarily "ANSWER ME SMARTLY" rights....
...I don't think the Peter Fitzgerald I watched last fall has too many notions about "saving the Bush admin" running around inside his head. If you recall, he was basically given the power of an Independent Counsel in his job title of Special Prosecutor. His prosecutorial track record does not have any indications he is a man want to leaving obvious evidence lying on the table...
Washington Times? That explains a lot. More on the second part in a moment... Do you think that Peter Fitzgerald will be as thorough in investigating the "Plame Affair" as Kenn Starr was in investigating the "Whitewater Affair"???

SpeedoGuy said:
...WH Press Secretary Scott McClellan Sep 29th 2003:

"If anyone in this administration was involved in it they would no longer be in this administration."

Note the wording: Not indicted or convicted in the Plame case, mind you, but involved...
Jeffin90620 said:
...Bush is questioned during a press conference and says something along the lines of "if there was a leak, the leaker will be punished." Well, duh. This is not proof that the Bush Administration knew a crime had been committed, only a statement of the obvious...
Which is correct?

Those of you defending the White House stance on the whole issue, here's a question for you... Considering the claims of motive by Plame and Wilson, do either of you think that anyone in the administration had no clue who Ms Plame was? I tend to think that Ms Plame and Mr Wilson had been discussed more than once. If that is the case, then surely Bush, his advisors, and his spokesman knew some of the details in the case - it was NOT like they were caught off guard by a reporter's question, surely you can't be that naive. The simplest answer, right off the bat, even for an unrehearsed question, should have been something along the lines of "Ms Plame's identity is well-known, there has been no leak of secret or classified information. Any informatioin given to the media is already public information." That was not what happened.

I'm just saying that the entirety of the executive branch, the legislative branch, and the top of the judicial branch should be more consistent, the president and his cabinet should stop backpedalling. We need a more honest administration, and george is certainly NOT helping. I'm tired of the double standards and the republican apologists. Don't get me wrong, I do not support either of the "big two" political parties, I think they are both disgustingly corrupt and have no interests at heart except getting the rich richer regardless of consequences to our country. And they have absolutely no conscience about their methods, either.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn! And here I was hoping b-n-z was just an idiot. Now I see he is an articulate, informed, and thoughtful guy and this is a very interesting conversation. Where is the fun in this?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JustAsking said:
Damn! And here I was hoping b-n-z was just an idiot. Now I see he is an articulate, informed, and thoughtful guy and this is a very interesting conversation. Where is the fun in this?

No fun! While I don't aften agree with BnD (god, I love writing that!), I often find merit in his posts- when they cause me to research an issue further.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
No fun! While I don't aften agree with BnD (god, I love writing that!), I often find merit in his posts- when they cause me to research an issue further.
I think I just had a braingasm. THIS IS THE PURPOSE OF THREADS LIKE THIS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS. Don't just hear a soundbyte and regurgitate it with a few epithets and expletives. Think about it... read about it... research it... do some searches, read more than one source.

Oh, and "every administration since 1776 has done it" is NOT an excuse. The executive branch breaking the law is just as wrong now as it was then. The difference is, you can't hold GWashington accountable. You can't make Nixon stop wiretapping. You can do something about the CURRENT administration. And by current, I don't mean specifically bush, I mean whoever is current, today or some time in 2027.

ETA123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
brainzz_n_dong said:
The left in this country has invested a lot of hope and, yes, prayer, in Fitzgerald coming out and indicting the entire Bush admin for "outing" Valeria Plame to supposedly get back at her husband over his opinions on Iraq. The only thing we have to show for all this is an indictment of Scooter Libby not for outing her, but for supposedly covering up something that didn't occur.

It was widely known, among even those that were her neighbors, that Ms. Plame worked at the CIA. Fred Rustmann, a covert agent for 24 years with the CIA, was quoted as saying "her neighbors knew this, her friends knew this, his (Wilson's) friends knew this". Hmm, what is the meaning of covert, then?

Oddly, this has never been reported by any reputable source that did not intentionally leave out pertinent information, I'll refer you to Media Matters again who presents the entire story. Read their source material:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200510260005

Specifically:
"The agents "made it clear they were part of the Fitzgerald investigation, and they were basically tying up loose ends," said David Tillotson, a lawyer and neighbor who was among those interviewed Monday.

"They really only had one interest, and that was to know whether Valerie's identity, on what she did for a living, was known prior to the Novak article. It seemed they were trying to establish clearly that prior to the Novak article she was not widely known on the cocktail circuit," Tillotson said.

"And I pointed out, we were good friends, we socialized with them, and we just had no idea" until her status was made public in the Novak column, Tillotson said. "To that moment, we had no idea whatsoever that Valerie did anything for the government."
[...]

Some neighbors said they had been interviewed before by the FBI.

"They basically asked me if I knew what she did prior to the leak," said Marc Lefkowitz, another neighbor. The answer, he said, was an unambiguous no."
Secondly, the biggest danger was not the release of Plames name (though she was still active in weapons of mass destruction proliferation intelligence), but in the release of her cover company and and thus all of it's assets and agents (the revelation that Brewster, Jennings was a CIA operation destroyed intelligence operations and put many lives at risk as a result of Novak's article).

So, contrary to your assertion, her neighbors did NOT know she was CIA, and the leaking of the name of her cover company put agents and their contacts in many companies at severe risk.

To deny that is to willfully ignore FACT.

Relying on Matt Drudge and quotes from an outdated story by the Washington Times (which, along with UPI, is owned by the Moonies and very, very supportive of the Bush administration) isn't exactly the best way to gain reliable information.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ETA123 said:
Secondly, the biggest danger was not the release of Plames name (though she was still active in weapons of mass destruction proliferation intelligence), but in the release of her cover company and and thus all of it's assets and agents (the revelation that Brewster, Jennings was a CIA operation destroyed intelligence operations and put many lives at risk as a result of Novak's article).

So, contrary to your assertion, her neighbors did NOT know she was CIA, and the leaking of the name of her cover company put agents and their contacts in many companies at severe risk...
Another excellent point in all this "tangled web" story. Whether or not she was still "in deep cover" or even still employed by that agency, GIVING THAT INFORMATION TO THE MEDIA, KNOWING IT WOULD BE PRINTED, was just irresponsible and endangered her life. If our government spends enough time and resources to put someone in an undercover role, it is not usually for something as benign as tracking down someone for a couple of unpaid parking tickets. You can make some pretty dangerous enemies in that line of work. When that carrot got dangled in front of NYT, and ends up on the wire services, sensitive information (even if not classified) can end up in the wrong hands. "Injured party" crime bosses can and do send their goons after undercover agents when they can, for prevention or payback.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Another excellent point in all this "tangled web" story. Whether or not she was still "in deep cover" or even still employed by that agency, GIVING THAT INFORMATION TO THE MEDIA, KNOWING IT WOULD BE PRINTED, was just irresponsible and endangered her life. If our government spends enough time and resources to put someone in an undercover role, it is not usually for something as benign as tracking down someone for a couple of unpaid parking tickets. You can make some pretty dangerous enemies in that line of work. When that carrot got dangled in front of NYT, and ends up on the wire services, sensitive information (even if not classified) can end up in the wrong hands. "Injured party" crime bosses can and do send their goons after undercover agents when they can, for prevention or payback.

Maybe not her life specifically, but certainly lives are at stake, whether they be CIA covert officers or foreign nationals who are engaged in any way with them. And it totally wastes any investment made to build the cover companies if they were still operational had the means to deliver valuable intelligence in future.

Additionally think of the damage it has done to the intelligence community. Morale.

Who wants to risk their life for their country to see their loyalty, commitment and patriotism counts for naught. The CIA has been systematically garrotted for partisan reasons. This is really serious damage when national security depends on good intelligence research and analysis. It is probably more valuable than weaponry and military might when fighting a phantom guerilla terrorist network.

It seems the CIA has been made a scapegoat for failures leading to 9/11 and the Pentagon has benefited from the passage of power.