Valium

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_FruitFly, Mar 31, 2009.

1. B_FruitFly

B_FruitFly New Member

Anyone know which is a stronger drug, Valium 10mg or lorazepam 2.5mg?

2. Principessa

Gold Member

I'm not a doctor but this is what I got from wikipedia. Lorazepam vs. Valium I think it depends on what you need it for, which should be prescribed. I have had great success with Klonopin for my GAD.

3. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Been on lorazepam myself before, and mum on Valium (Diazepam) equivlents.

Quoting from what my doctor tells me, lorazepam is normaly used before Valium, as lorazepam is concidered a more lighter duty type of treatment to Valium..

Now mum is on the 2mg type, but I do know from a neighbour who's got schizophrenia, as part of his treatment, he is on the 10mg type, which I understand is pretty strong, and deffo would be a stronger type of treatment, than to say use lorazepam.

#3 B_stanmarsh14, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. slcnewlife64

slcnewlife64 New Member

Albums:
    lorazepan.

5. B_FruitFly

B_FruitFly New Member

I always thought Klonopin would be dangerous for me and i like lorazepam, but i need something alot stronger. I think i would also have to be able to take it during the day
    times hours while operating.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Talk to your doc about it. I was prescribed .5 mg twice a day; but that was a bit too much for me, made me sleepy all the time. Now I break them in half and take .25 mg twice a day. No drowsiness and I function fine. In the past I have taken buspar started with 10 mgs a day and ended up at 40 mgs a day. That didn't do diddly for me.

I have a friend that used to take 1.0 mg 3 times a day then had to take Ambien at night to get to sleep. :yikes: If I took that dose I would be comatose.

7. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Klonopin is a different drug than either which I assume you know but you can also get it in a .5 mg or you could try Xanax.
    As to your question the Ativan {2.5} is less potent than a Valium at 10 mg which is a higher dose so I don't see how you can compare them when the dose isn't equal
    but if you had the same dose the Valium would be longer lasting.
    Be careful with whatever you are operating on these drugs.
    C.B.:saevil:

8. midlifebear

Gold Member

Valium: better living through chemistry thanks to Hoffman-LaRoche since 1960.

9. snoozan

Gold Member

Okay, a small psychopharmacological tutorial.

All of these drugs are in the class called benzodiazepines. They all have, to some extent or another, sedative (calms, slows down), hypnotic, muscle relaxant, and anxiolytic (lessens anxiety) effects. Klonopin is the only one of the class that is considered an anticonvulsant (anti-seizure).

They are all slightly different. The biggest difference is half-life-- how long the drug stays in your body. Where Xanax (alprazolam) and Ativan (lorazepam) have a short half life, Klonopin (clonazepam) and Valium (diazepam) have longer half lives.

Xanax is good for panic attacks because it kicks in fast. Klonopin is good for general anxiety because it lasts a long time.

Valium and Ativan are different drugs in a few ways. The first is that Valium has a longer half life, meaning it stays in your body longer. If you need all-day coverage, a drug with a longer half-life is better. For things like sleep (which benzos only work for temporarily), panic attacks, flying anxiety, etc., drugs with a shorter half life are generally better.

Valium also has more muscle relaxant effects (I think). Ativan is a much newer drug. I'm not 100% sure why, but doctors like prescribing the newer benzos-- Xanax, Ativan, and Klonopin much more than the older ones. I assume because they are somehow "cleaner" drugs. Not sure.

This website lists equivalent dosages between benzos.

Note that 1mg Ativan is equivalent to 5mg Valium. Valium also has a longer half life. Though technically 2mg Ativan = 10mg Valium, that 10mg is spread over a longer period of time, making the effect of the drug "smoother." With Ativan, it enters and leaves your body much faster.

To be honest, this is something you need to discuss with your doctor. Also, don't drive, and don't drink with these drugs. Also, they have a high potential for tolerance and abuse, so always take them as prescribed.

10. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I think perhaps they prescribe the Ativan more nowadays is like Snoozan said it is a cleaner benzo meaning it is eliminated from the liver faster. Of course if you have any issues with your liver you should not be taking benzo's.
    Or it could be that it metabolizes quicker.?
    C.B.:saevil:

Draft saved Draft deleted