Vasectomy advice sought

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In a couple months I will be getting a traditional vasectomy, as that's the procedure my urologist does and he has a good track record.

I am not planning to take a Valium sedative. Things like that tend to fuck with me worse than most. Is that common?

Stupidly I watched a couple operations on YouTube and while I did wince it did not seem that unbearable. That said if I had to do it over I would not do that again.

Pain issues during the procedure seem hit or miss. Some guys report terrible pain from the initial nerve stimulation resulting from the lidocaine injection, and others say it was not unlike other anesthetic injections they've had for other procedures. Hopefully I'll get lucky. But is there any advice re reducing likelihood of lidocaine induced pain (in that brief period before it interrupts nerve impulses). I can't imagine there is anything to be done but why not ask?

I was told to bring a traditional Jock for after the surgery to wear home. Any advice on a good (cheap) one for this purpose. I do have compression shorts but doc said a jock is better.

I am planning to wear basketball shorts to the procedure -- loose, easy to put on. Any issues wearing shorts instead of pants?

My surgery is in the late afternoon. I normally workout in the morning. On the day of the op should I skip the gym? Any other advice on what to do or not do that day?

Any shaving advice? When would you do it? Day before or morning of?

Assuming it feels okay and I wear a supporter, what's the earliest after the snip I could reasonably get back to running?

Any generic recovery advice / tips beyond the standard frozen peas and do nothing for 24 hours and no exercise or fucking for two more days -- or longer if it still hurts or is bruised?

Finally I have read several accounts of guys who have suffered complications So I know there are some truly terrible things that can go wrong. Some complications leave some men in perpetual pain, and I have read several study abstracts on the incidence rates of these terrible complications. I have weighed the risks in deciding to get this done, so I am not looking for advice on whether or not to do this. Thanks.

Uniballer

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Get your testosterone tested. If there is any way to do pellets in the butt cheeks or shots, try that. A month after I started my sperm count was zero and has been zero for 5 years.
I do 1ml once a week into my thigh and we only have unprotected sex.
My doctor did not want to cut me because I only have 1 nut because I had testicular cancer.
I for one will take a shot over having my nut messed with any day.
Testosterone is not an appropriate male contraceptive in the US but is used in other countries I believe.

Reactions: Sunstar

EmperorJimbo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Shaving could be the day/night before if you don't usually do it or the morning of if you do it all the time and don't usually have issues. The nurse appreciated it when I had already taken care of it.
Trust me, you will want a jock at first. Anything is better than nothing. I've had several surgeries in this area and if I didn't bring one the hospital provided one. Sounds like you're in the doctors office for the procedure so just go to Walmart or your sporting goods store and pick one up.
Basketball shorts or sweats or anything loose/comfortable is fine.
You WILL want the frozen peas for an ice bag. Get a couple as you'll want to freeze one while you use the other.
Take the pain pills or whatever as directed the first bit. You don't want to get in a pain hole and have to dig your way out. On the other hand, listen to your body and if you're ok after a day or so, taper off whatever it is. You'll know.
Working out the morning of is no issue to me. You won't want to do anything heavy afterward for a while.

Do not just try to macho through this, but you don't need to be too concerned either. It should go just fine.

Reactions: TXBigGun

Notaes

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had a vasectomy and it was nothing. Laid on couch two days went back to work on Monday. It really was no big deal!

Reactions: BillM
D

deleted957094

I agree with @Notaes , I had mine done with a thermal caudery knife. I'm shaved 24/7 so nothing to do there. The procedure might have been 30 min total. Lidocaine shot was nothing more than a slight pinch followed by a full ache. The procedure was painless, a little tugging or pressure,but no pain. Mine was done in the morning, wore trunks and gym shorts home. Slept the entire day, and went to work the following afternoon. I was back in the gym in 3 days, testing the pipes on day 4.

The weirdest part of the entire thing we're the disolivable sutures, that did not disolve, so I was pulling stiches out of my balls by week 2.

cloverleaf

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pants. You want loose balls before the procedure. Easier for doctor to move things into position. That means warm groin. So while shorts would not be a problem athletic /sweat pants that will keep your crotch very warm in the 70 degree waiting room would be a tad better. The procedure room should be warm to help with this.

Really rest! Don't do stuff for a full 24 hours other than walk around house and that onIy as needed.

Running/gym. I would not run for at least a week even if you felt like it and definitely wear the jock or compression shorts. I wore jocks for two weeks. I probably did not need them that long but was afraid to go without. After I went back to gym (ten days or so) I didn't resume showering there for another few weeks cause I needed to give extra care in washing my tender balls and thought that would look odd in open showers, and frankly I wanted my man hair to grow back somewhat.

Tylenol. I took regular Tylenol right after the procedure and stayed dosed for 12 hours. I avoided the heavier stuff but had a script filled in case I needed it. Planning tip; No drinking due to pain killers, sadly. I ate a lot of snacks. Gained like three pounds.

Return of Sex. Got very, very gentle BJ on day four after. I can still remember it... Did not go balls deep again for two full weeks (condom still needed of course cause you are not confirmed sterile for some time). In meanwhile I either jacked and/or got a BJ (with reciprocation of course) everyday after day four until "regular" sex resumed. No issues.

The injection pain. I was not lucky. He did two on each side. One under skin and another into the vas tube. He narrated the whole thing... The underskin injection felt like a prick. Like dentist injection. The injection into the vas tube (both sides) burned like hell and then felt like my balls were in a vice and just as I gulped and broke into a sweat and thought (but did not say) "oh my dear god end it now" it subsided as fast as it came on leaving just a dull ache sorta feeling. Total pain duration was like five seconds on each side. The cutting of my ball sack (tiny wound), pulling the vas and the sniping and cautery were painless. The thing to focus on if you are among the unlucky for whom the injection really hurts is that it will be over literally in a moment. And it's not a foretaste of what's to come.

Long term. Prior to this I never had any ball pain unless I got hit or something. Now four times per year perhaps I do get a real diffused ball ache (left) for no apparent reason. And it's like a five plus on pain scale. Thankfully it goes away like a headache goes away and regular painkillers help. I do think this is because of vasectomy but it could be coincidental.

No regrets whatever.

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I had a vasectomy and it was nothing. Laid on couch two days went back to work on Monday. It really was no big deal!
I agree with @Notaes , I had mine done with a thermal caudery knife. I'm shaved 24/7 so nothing to do there. The procedure might have been 30 min total. Lidocaine shot was nothing more than a slight pinch followed by a full ache. The procedure was painless, a little tugging or pressure,but no pain. Mine was done in the morning, wore trunks and gym shorts home. Slept the entire day, and went to work the following afternoon. I was back in the gym in 3 days, testing the pipes on day 4.

The weirdest part of the entire thing we're the disolivable sutures, that did not disolve, so I was pulling stiches out of my balls by week 2.

I had the procedure at 20 years of age and as @Notaes & DoctorD have stated it was nothing, I even fucked my Girlfriend twice that night and then in the morning!!

Reactions: deleted957094

BetterFuture

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll chime in too... after having my 4th child I got it done and I couldn't take the Valium because I had to drive myself home. I was nervous before and during, but the injection pain was not much. I'd recommend shaving the night before to give any nicks time to seal up. I'd also recommend taking the pain medication (unless you have substance abuse issues) for 24 to 48 hours and shift to ibuprofen as soon as you can. I had mine done midday Friday and rested the rest of that day and Saturday and Sunday was pretty normal, but no exercise or sex. Back at work Monday. Bruised a bit, but that cleared up in about a week. I'm really glad I got it done - so nice to never have to worry about an unintended pregnancy again. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: TXBigGun and BillM

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would advise using the ice pack for 48 hours instead of 24 hours. I had mine done on a Friday morning and I laid around on the couch with an ice pack and watched TV, read a book, and just chilled until Sunday evening, something I never get to do. You'll feel fine afterwards and some people brag about how they jumped up and got back into the swing of things the same day, but I think you'll have less swelling and a much quicker recovery time if you stay off your feet and do what you can to keep the swelling down. Plus, if your family life is like mine, you probably don't get much time to chill - so milk it if you can!

Have someone drive you. I didn't think I needed to have my wife drive me, but I'm glad I did. I felt woozy afterwards when I got into the car, which surprised me. It wasn't from the pain or anything, but I think just the overall stress of the unknown. Plus, I was a little emotional over the whole thing. My 2 sons are, hands down, the best thing that ever happened to me and it saddened me to know that I wouldn't be having any more, even though I didn't want to have anymore (which, I know is contradictory). I was actually a bit teary-eyed about it that morning.

Don't shave too much. By far, the most uncomfortable part of the whole process was when the hair on my balls grew back in. It was itchy and uncomfortable. I would have shaved a lot less if I had to do it over again.

It is very quick. I remember that my name was called at about 10:05. By 10:25, I was walking out to my car.

You probably won't need any pain medication. My doctor gave me a prescription or 2, which I didn't bother to fill, and I'm glad I didn't waste the money.

Lastly, and this is your business, of course. But, I would find a urologist who does the no-scalpel method. I think it is the latest, least invasive method. The traditional method involves one or two incisions of about a half inch long each. The no-scalpel method involves a single, much smaller hole - a little more than 1/8th of an inch, I guess. (Incidentally, the scar faded completely within about 9 months, and I can't even find where it was). When I hear a doctor say "I've always done it this way and always will," it makes me think that he isn't up on the latest training. Again, totally your call and I am not a doctor. But, my research led me to the conclusion that the no-scalpel way was the way to go and had the lowest risk of complications. There is a lot of information available online (including websites devoted just to discussions on vasectomies) and you can talk to a doctor who does it.

It really wasn't very painful. My balls were just a bit tender for a week and they looked bruised, but they really felt pretty fine.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Kaduna

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had it done years ago. No trouble; Valium not offered and I drove myself home. More pain when the Lignocaine wore off but not that bad. Most uncomfortable bit was surgeon feeling around before he gave the local, and if that is all it just shows it was not much. I thought dissolvable stitches would be standard. Just come out after 2-3 weeks. Yes, shaved. Use suspensory bandage and not a jock; they would not be common in UK then

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I had it done years ago. No trouble; Valium not offered and I drove myself home. More pain when the Lignocaine wore off but not that bad. Most uncomfortable bit was surgeon feeling around before he gave the local, and if that is all it just shows it was not much. I thought dissolvable stitches would be standard. Just come out after 2-3 weeks. Yes, shaved. Use suspensory bandage and not a jock; they would not be common in UK then

I appreciate your observation about the discomfort of the doc fishing about. When I went for the consult the doc squeezed my balls to palpatate the vas -- which once found he squeezed to the surface and insisted on showing me. I sort of pulled back from him reflexively, and he asked me if I was prone to being woozy. I told him I was the kind of guy who watched my blood being drawn, etc. I swayed back reflexively because I told him "my balls really freaking hurt from you squeezing them." He chuckled. He then declared I had easy to find tubes and my procedure should not be complicated. I said "my balls are thankful", and he laughed again.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I had it done two days ago.

Pain:

Procedure -- The injection of lidocaine on both sides was virtually painless. Less than the pain at dentist. I did not have the characteristic burning some guys momentarily have. It was a traditional two incision vasectomy. I felt momentary pain when he tugged on the right side to pull up the vas. It was nothing.

After Procedure -- Dull ache in balls and more so in low center of abdomen. Still not gone but improving slowly. Pain managed very well with Tylenol, frozen veggies, jock to hold it all still and laying about. On pain scale it's one to two out of ten, presently zero when laying down.

Incision: It has weaped a bit of bloody discharge. To spare staining the jock and my underwear I have applied no stick thin gauze pads. They work great.

Swelling and Bruising: To date, none. But that may come. Looking forward to switching to ibuprofen tomorrow which unlike Tylenol is an anti inflammatory but which my doctor advised against initially because it can inhibit clotting.

I did not use as yet and don't think I will need the narcotics that were supplied. I had no Valium or relaxant either. I have taken prophylactic antibiotics. And applied polysporin cream to the incisions.

To the ordinary vasectomy tool kit of jocks, frozen peas/corn (four bags for alternating use) and antibiotic cream, I would recommend no stick gauze pads.

I wore basketball shorts and t shirt to procedure --easy on and off. You don't want to fumble with your pants!

Glad my wife drove me but I could have managed it, and no she did not come into the procedure room. Why anybody would want that I don't know...

I was pleasantly surprised that doctors assistant was a guy. No woman witnessed my balls getting dinged.

Glad it's over. Looking forward to completing recovery.

BetterFuture

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It sounds like things went smoothly @AdamFin - I'm glad to hear it. Mine was almost 10 years ago and went smoothly too. It's so awesome to no longer have to worry at all about an unintended pregnancy. And be sure to go to your follow up tests to ensure the seal holds. I had to go back at 4 months and then again at 5 months to be sure to have to two 100% negative results for sperm. Sometimes they need to redo something... so be sure it worked. I found the tests to be slightly embarrassing as my doc said I had to drop off the sample for analysis within 30 minutes... walked up to the front desk with it in a brown paper bag and try to quietly mumble, "um, I have my, um , sample for verification"...

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have a friend who was the last round left in the chamber from his dad's vasectomy. Definitely do the follow up verifications.

Thanks for the advice. I hope the recovery progresses normally. So far, so good. I also wanted to thank again all the guys who posted here as I was preparing to get this done. Very helpful insights.

Reactions: BetterFuture

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I am eleven days post vasectomy. Tenderness is fully resolved, but my balls are a bit bigger than normal and still appreciative of a jock when I do anything "athletic". I put that word in quotes cause I've only attempted a mile run and brisk walking. Both incision sites are still hard to the touch (not sore or red) and this area of inflammation is shrinking. I think I had a mild topical infection despite antibiotics. All wound seepage has finally ceased. The sutures have dissolved and fallen away. I've unloaded five times without issues. Still have not been with the Mrs. as I am still worried about my swinging wrecking balls bashing away during vigorous (the only way I know) sex. I'm just back to the gym after the longest hiatus in my adult life. Any mates looking dead straight on my balls in the showers would not see any signs I had this done. So far my experience ranks among the very typical. Thankfully.

Reactions: palakaorion

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I am now past three weeks since the snip. There is a shrinking hardness at the incision sites (the suture effect) in the skin only. Zero pain but my balls are still more sensitive than before. I am not wearing jock anymore for daily activities, but I cannot run (I tried it) without the jock. I can do all the other stuff I do -- bike, swim etc. But anything w running I need the jock. The jolt of the foot fall when running vibrates the balls and they seriously object. I think this will go away. If not I will need to buy more straps.

Zero issues with serious pounding during fucking. The intensity of our sex is the same as before. She does need to be more gentle however when she explores the boys.