vasectomy recovery time

Gnashin Teefe

Sexy Member
Media
I'm planning to have a vasectomy soon. For those of you who have already done this ...

How long should I expect the recovery time to be before the soreness and swelling goes away? I have heard anything from 2 days to 2 months. My brother said he had a pretty long recovery time - he was out of work for maybe two weeks (is that normal?).

Also, how long before I can safely start having sex again after the operation?

Also, did insurance pay for your operation?

I'm more nervous about this than I probably should be.

piercedjobbie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My recovery time was a little over 1 week for me to have sex. The procedure was pretty simple and I watched as the doctor did it - kind of weird. Just a small slit in the scrotum and he fished out the two tubes - one from each testicle - and snipped and cauterized. There was a small amount of swelling. He put in 4 or 5 stitches and I drove home. I put an ice bag on my nuts for about 4 hours after the procedure - that was funny in a way - talk about blue balls. This was elective surgery on my part so insurance did not cover it. Perhaps things in that area have changed. Check with your carrier. Don't be nervous, it is not that big a deal - just make sure you shave well and relax.

RandyL

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I once worked with a guy who had it done. He was sore for a week afterwards, and wasn't walking around normally again for about a week and a half. He said he was really sore from it.

aussieinmyjocks

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Had mine done late last year. About three days to a sly (and careful) wank and a couple of weeks for full on sex with the missus. I got some bruising but was OK. Keep ice on the area pretty constantly for the first day or so and that helps.

OPPinSLC

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had mine on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. Very sore and bruised the next day, lots of ice and ibuprofen. You should wait at least a month before having unprotected sex. To be on the safe side you should also have a semen analysis just to make sure. A buddy of mine didn't wait long enough and he has six kids instead of five.

Just close your eyes and think of Christmas;) lol

4xfloored

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my insurance covered it.. just had to pay the $15 co-pay... keep a few bags of frozen pea's in the freezer use off and on for 2 days... make sure you get you sea menz checked b-4 you let loose... had sex a week or so later ... not a big deal... good luck

p.s I have Kaiser

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had mine on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. Very sore and bruised the next day, lots of ice and ibuprofen. You should wait at least a month before having unprotected sex. To be on the safe side you should also have a semen analysis just to make sure. A buddy of mine didn't wait long enough and he has six kids instead of five.

Just close your eyes and think of Christmas;) lol

Had mine done around 30 years ago and it was the same - slit in each ball, cut the vas deferens (took about an inch from each) and clipped the ends with a stainless clip. There was bruising, my balls got very large and I was sore for about a week and a half. I was told that there was to be no sex unless protected, until I shot only blanks, and I was to cum as often as possible, for a month unti my next check-up, to rid myself of any sperm remaining in the tubes. After a month he had me jack off in his office, took the sample in a jar and after then proclaimed me sterile.

orbit03

Just Browsing
Media
7-10 days before resuming sex, but use birth control until you get a clear sample. Took me four samples over 2 months before I got the all clear.

Gnashin Teefe

Sexy Member
Media
OK - so I had my consultation visit with the urologist this afternoon. Vasectomy procedure will be in two weeks.

He'll prescribe valium for me to take beforehand to cope with my anxiety. And I need to shave my pubes - I guess I expected that. I hate looking like a plucked chicken.

I should expect a minimum of two days away from work. He said my brother's case of being down for two weeks would be a worst-case scenario. Keep a bag of frozen peas on my nuts for a day or two.

No unprotected sex for three months afterward until I give two sterile samples.

BTW: I actually popped a hardon in front of the urologist during the exam. I think it was just one of the spontaneous boners for no reason. Both the doctor and I did our best to ignore it. He was very professional and didn't say a word about it. Normally I think I would have been mortified with embarrassment, but I have so much anxiety over this whole vasectomy procedure that I didn't worry much about popping wood.

eastbaydude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had it done on a Friday morning. I spent the rest of afternoon on the couch watching TV as well as the rest of all day on Saturday. My GF kept bringing me ice packs, Tylenol and snacks. I was back at my desk job on Monday.

All in all, it was sore for the first couple of days and tender for maybe a week. Just to make sure everything was still working, I was jacking off after about the 3rd day or so and fucking by the weekend.

I think the trick is to do as you're told. Stay off your feet and keep it iced for the first two days. A buddy of mine didn't follow the instructions very well and ended up with a nut sack the size of a grapefruit.

After about 20 ejaculations, you take a sample to the lab to get the final OK for unprotected sex.

Go for it. It's worth it.

bigthick9uc

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had mine done about 10 years ago. The most important thing was following the doctors instructions.. .ice, ice, ice and stay off your feet. That was the ticket for me for a quick recovery. I was back to normal after 4 days.
A friend of mine thought the ice pack was for "sissies" and he was in pain for about a week after his, and he didnt fully recover for about 3 weeks.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
I agree with what's been said. I needed the best part of two or three days laid up and was ready to resume sex after about a week.

For those first two or three days my sac was swollen enough to qualify me to join the ministry of funny walks. A very big jockstrap and very baggy tracksuit were all I could wear.

SR_Pepe_LePube

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had a no scalpel vasectomy procedure where approximately 1/2 an inch is removed from each vas deferens and the ends are sealed. This prevents the sperm from joining the semen at ejaculation. The operation was carried out under local anaesthetic. The discomfort associated with my vasectomy could be compared to having a tooth filled, both in terms of the procedure, the anaesthetic and the post-op discomfort. After the operation there was some minimal bruising and discomfort during the first 1-3 days but this resolved without treatment. I didn’t need to take any medication. Therefore, it was about 3 days before I had a decent erection to firstly masturbate and then it was about a week before we had intercourse. The first time after the vasectomy was a bit tentative but as soon as I realised there wasn’t any complication it was back to a normal sex life.

It was essential that we used other forms of contraception e.g. condoms following the vasectomy operation until I had two samples of semen examined to make sure that there are no sperm present. It is advised to have a minimum of 25-30 ejaculations before sending these samples to the laboratory at the pre-arranged dates (12 and 16 weeks) after the operation.

I was given the all clear and haven’t regretted my decision to have a vasectomy.

RubberHarley

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found that me having this done was the best thing since sliced bread! It was no big deal. I went to see the doctor. He scheduled everything. My wife had to sign a legal paper saying that she understood what I was doing and I couldn't have kids after that. Went to the doctor's clinic, they shaved my balls a little, put some pain medicine on me, then a shot, cut the two tubes, tied them off, and put a few secures in my balls. I got up and went home. This was on a Friday. I was back to work on Monday.

About five days after the procedure I masturbated. It was no problem. Then two days later had sex with my wife. We had to use a condom for awhile just to be sure. About 3 weeks later I got up early one morning and masturbated into a cup that the doctor had given me and took it into the lab. They looked at it and said "no swimmers". Great news.

My wife and I both agree that it has given us more sexual freedom to not have to worry about birth control.... from the point of view that she does not have to take a pill, which can cause problems, to me having to stop in the middle of foreplay to don a condom. It is nice to just roll over, slip it in, and go!

I think you will enjoy having it done once the recovery period is over.

atomicTIGER

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had it done and the first few days are rough then it gets better. For me I had a feeling of dizziness and returned to work to quick and nearly passed out at work-- SO be careful and the sorness and pain does go away but in time...

Two weeks is not normal recovery time. Either he had some complications, or more likely, he either ignored the doc's instructions and way overdid it, or he's just being a pussy and exaggerating.

If have a desk-type job, you can go to work the next day, although it's ideal to try to get it done on a Friday afternoon so you can relax a couple of days. Just wear supporting underwear for 7-10 days afterwards (i.e. no boxers), and don't do anything remotely strenuous for 3-5 days to be on the safe side. Gentle sex is fine as soon as you feel ready for it (assuming that at least the anesthetic has worn off!). My doctor told me to wait a couple days but I was in business after 24 hours. He also said nothing about icing, which I thought was interesting given that others have told me they iced religiously. I iced very little for swelling. I guess the risk of accidentally freezing your balls off is considered greater than the benefit of reducing swelling, and there's not much swelling with a good doc.

Any half-decent insurance will cover the procedure. It is elective, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than covering parenthood-related expenses.

However, I would advise you to get a "no scalpel" procedure done by an experienced urologist. You could get a "traditional" vasectomy done by any old doctor and it will be fine, but the no scalpel procedure with a doc who does them all the time is almost magical. An injection, one tiny hole-punch, some tugging, and you're done in 10 minutes. No stitches, almost no blood, less hassle than a trip to the dentist. I was given a Vicodin prescription but I only took a total of two-regular strength Tylenol. Okay, and a few beers. Swelling was minor and gone in a few days, never anything worse than a gentle aching. The puncture healed over very quickly and within a few weeks became totally invisible--no scarring whatsoever.

One year out, no complications to report, completely happy.

Da_Man_I_Is

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Just had mine done one week ago today. I've been in a bit of discomfort, but nothing I couldn't handle. I had the no scalpel procedure done - some injections into the sac to numb, bit of pulling n tugging and it's all done - driven home by my dad and applied ice.

Slept with couple of pillows between my legs though to stop my legs crushing my nuts, seems to be the best thing I coulda done. Just make sure your partner doesn't slap your nutsack 5 days after it's done (Accidentally, but still, it HURT) and you'll be fine!

I started masturbating a couple of days ago, and it's not so bad, just gotta take it slowly

Gnashin Teefe

Sexy Member
Media
OK - so I had the vasectomy procedure done last Thursday.

The doctor prescribed a single Valium pill to take beforehand to reduce anxiety, and also Vicodin for pain relief. Between the Valium and the Vicodin, I was kind of loopy going into the procedure. I agree with others - after receiving a local anesthetic, the pain of the procedure (in intensity) is similar to going to the dentist.

The procedure was in the morning. The whole rest of the day was spent sleeping in bed (Vicodin really puts me out). As a result of being totally asleep for 12 hours, I didn't do any ice packs (perhaps a mistake). The next day I remained on a lower dose of Vicodin so that I could remain awake.

It is now four days later. I am still a little sore and have a funny walk. Bending over is tough. My nut sack is completely black and blue. I have some residual bleeding - I've ruined several pairs of underwear with blood stains. I think I'll try going back to work on Tuesday (tomorrow).

With all the pain and tenderness, I haven't had an erection since the procedure. The idea of any kind of sexual activity is not very enticing at the moment.

Oh - and my insurance did pay for the procedure. Since they pay for female birth control pills, I guess it makes sense that they would pay for a vasectomy.

Last edited: