Vatican Publishes Views on Gay Priests

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer 17 minutes ago

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican published its long-awaited document on gays in the clergy Tuesday, saying men with "deep-seated" homosexual tendencies should not be ordained but those with a "transitory problem" could be if they had overcome them for three years.

The official release of the "Instruction" from the Congregation for Catholic Education came a week after an Italian Catholic news agency posted a leaked copy on its Web site. As a result, the document's contents were already known.

Reaction has been mixed, with conservatives saying it may help reverse the "gay culture" that has grown in many U.S. seminaries. Liberal critics have complained that the restrictions will create morale problems among existing priests and lead to an even greater priest shortage in the United States.

Some observers also have raised questions about exactly what the document means by a "deep-seated homosexual tendency," since a definition isn't provided.

The head of the education congregation defended the document as a clear reflection of church teaching, saying "in this field, in today's world, there is some confusion."

"Many defend the position according to which the homosexual condition is a normal condition for the human being, as if it were nearly a third gender," Cardinal Zenon Grocholewski told Vatican Radio.

He also made clear the Instruction is intended for candidates for the priesthood and not someone who "discovers his homosexuality after having been ordained."

The cardinal said such a priest "has to try to live in chastity ... maybe he will need more spirtual support than others, but I think he should be a priest in the best way possible."

The Rev. Timothy Radcliff, former superior of the Dominican order, wrote in the British Catholic weekly the Tablet that the phrase could be interpreted as concerning men with a "permanent homosexual orientation."

"But this cannot be correct since, as I have said, there are many excellent priests who are gay and who clearly have a vocation from God."

"Having worked with bishops and priests, diocesan and religious, all over the world, I have no doubt that God does call homosexuals to the priesthood, and they are among the most dedicated and impressive priests I have met," he wrote.

Pope Benedict XVI approved the "Instruction" on Aug. 31 and ordered it published — one of the first major documents he has approved for release since being elected pope April 19.

The document has been years in the works, but its existence came to light in 2002 at the height of the clergy sex abuse scandal in the United States. A study commissioned by U.S. bishops found that most abuse victims since 1950 were adolescent boys.

Experts on sex offenders say homosexuals are no more likely than heterosexuals to molest young people, but that did not stifle questions about gay seminarians.

The document restates church teaching that deep-seated homosexual tendencies are "objectively disordered" but that gays should be treated with respect and shouldn't be discriminated against.

"In light of such teaching ... the church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called 'gay culture,'" it says.

Such men can't be priests because they are in a situation that "gravely hinders them from relating correctly to men and women," it says.

But it distinguishes such men from others with homosexual tendencies "that were only the expression of a transitory problem — for example, that of an adolescence not yet superseded."

"Nevertheless, such tendencies must be clearly overcome at least three years before ordination to the diaconate," it says.

The document is short — nine pages including the title page and footnotes that make up the bulk of the text.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051129/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_gay_priests

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I can not beleive that people still confuse and equate pedophilia with homosexuality. and "transitory problem" my ass. Get a clue.

3. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

Apologies for not reading the whole article, but everyone knows the Catholic church is the worst place in the world for hipocratic, homosexuals!
    If all the gay priests came out at once, you'd see a pretty different stance from the vatican!

Grow some nuts priests!

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    well, that and the republican party

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Queer doctors?

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

First, harm no altar-boy... don't use your teeth when you suck his cock.

7. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    um
    he's just poking fun at the misuse of hipocritical and the hippocratic oath

he/he

you do know a lot of altar servers are girls now

8. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've known good and bad men who are Roman Catholic priests. Some gay, some heterosexual, some apparently asexual, and some who are known to be paedophiles. Many are alcoholics, living as lonely hipocrites. A very few seem genuinely gifted with leadership ability and compassion.

The real question is why this organization just doesn't understand that they are so fucked up. Why are women not valued enough to be pastors? What about celibacy?

The protection racket for known offenders is just so appalling, shuffling predators to other unsuspecting parishes. Secret hush payments to victims.

This obvious PR approach of blaming homosexuals in the seminaries and rooting them out is wrong and gets nowhere to the root of the malignancy. Paedophiles are hetero as well as homosexual in their orientation. Arrested character development, well hidden sociopathic attitudes, and those candidates who themselves experienced a history of early sexualization (or abuse) might be more relevant.

9. Matthew

Gold Member

It's hysterical watching them do this little dance. I can't decide which is funnier - the part about how it's okay if you were drunk, a teenager or in jail :eek: ; or the part where you're OK once you're 3 years "clean." I want to know if I will qualify if I fail to get laid for 3 years in a row.

10. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    :D hah... like being a wash'n'wear virgin

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, yes, I do know that... but they aren't as much fun to suck in the sacristy.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

:eek: Thanks, you just killed me!

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Come on you people. YOU ALL KNOW that queers are the root of all evil.

14. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    and I thought queers were the new black? or is that beige?

15. KinkGuy

Gold Member

I was gay before it was popular. The underground was wwaaaayyyyy more fun.

16. Matthew

Gold Member

I believe it's fuschia, darling

17. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Of course there are hypocrites within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. Of course there is corruption and ignorance. That is true of every global organization, religious or otherwise. That is why there are those of us who care about the Church doing what we can within the Church itself. It's a lot easier to walk away and say, "The Church is going to hell, and I have no intention of going with it." I prefer to stay and do what little I can to make my Church a home where I can be comfortable. There will always be those within the very same walls who disagree with me, but the Church is no less mine than it is theirs, and I take a stand for my right to be there. I can't eliminate hypocrites and erroneous thinkers, but I refuse to let them drive me away from an institution that has been a refuge to me.

18. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    ;) right, thanks

*makes straight guy note = pink*

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jacinto, if not for people like you, changes would never come about at all. I respect your efforts to support your beliefs, even if I admit I couldn't do it. I guess if I HAD srtonger beliefs I would care more about defending the church, but I do see it as an important aspect of most people's lives so I am glad there are some who are there to serve as beacons of what could be possible to the rest.

20. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

I would like to see a pie chart or something that shows the percentage of members from each particular proffession and religion who are pedos and the like. I willing to place a large bet that the Catholic Church will have the highest rate of kiddy fiddlers. Or maybe second to the Scout movement.

Draft saved Draft deleted