Vegetarian dinner... recipe #1...

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hotmif, these sound like very delicious recipies! I think I can make a switch at least a few nights a week to a vegitarian dinner. I don't eat red meat anymore as it now makes me physically ill after eating it and have been looking to try some non-chicken or non-fish dishes. I make a great cuban black bean soup sometimes which is thoroughly satisfying without any meat. Regarding vegitarian cookbooks - I have the Moosewood series from Mollie Katzen which are OK but the recipies are uneven in quality, hippy dippy and some are downright sickly fattening. I would be eager to see yours.

Hey Earllogjam -- thanks for the comments! I just made the following for me and the kids -- my meat-eating kids NEVER COMPLAIN about missing meat when they eat this meal. ;-)

Rosemary-Garlic White Bean Soup (Greek)

Serves 4-5 people
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins (during prep time) plus 20-25 mins cooking

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium brown (or white) onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery (depending on size)
2 medium carrots, sliced thinly
3-4 large cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon (rounded, not flat) of dried crushed rosemary or two fresh sprigs
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can (14.5) cannellini beans or navy beans (in a pinch, Great Northern Beans will do, but cannellini beans have a more delicate flavor and are better for this soup)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

1. Assemble ingredients
2. Heat oil in a 3 or 4 quart (2 or 3 litre) saucepan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat
3. Dice onion and toss in pan (stir frequently)
4. Chop celery and toss in pan
5. Peel and slice carrots and toss in pan NOTE: Slice them fairly thin; that way, the soup cooks faster and more evenly
6. Mince or press the garlic (it's best if you press it, but if you don't have a garlic press, no big deal) -- DON'T TOSS IN YET!!
7. Cook onion-vegetable mixture until the onion is starting to brown a little (this is very important for the flavor of the soup)
8. Toss in the garlic and let it cook while you open the two cans
9. When garlic is very fragrant, pour in the diced tomatoes and liquid
10. Now rinse the beans -- I rinse beans in a sieve that I keep specially by the sink for rinsing rice and beans. Rinse until there's no more "foam"
11. Add the beans to the pot
12. Add 2 cups of water
13. Bring to a boil
14. Reduce heat to LOW and COVER THE POT!!!
15. Simmer for about 20 minutes until carrots and celery are tender

While the soup simmers....

Check what's happening at LPSG or.... if you want a nice, sit-down dinner, do the following:

-- Super-chill (put in freezer) your beer or wine
-- Set the table and add some fresh fruit (grapes, orange slices and/or figs are especially good)
-- Prepare toppings for the soup (see below)

SUGGESTED TOPPINGS AND SIDES:

-- Fake garlic toast (see below)
-- Avocado slices
-- Green or black olives
-- If you eat dairy: Brie, sharp cheddar or Gouda to eat with the fruit

Hotmilf's Fake Garlic toast (no cheese or garlic):

- sliced bread
- olive oil or HEALTHY margarine (olive oil tastes better for this dish)
- "Italian Seasoning" dried herb mixture
- Sea salt

For the kids, I use white bread. For me and health conscious others, I use whole-grain wheat-berry or any other kind of really chewy bread.

1. Toast the bread
2. Spray with olive oil (this is where one of those oil sprayer gadgets comes in handy); if you don't have a sprayer, drizzle half a teaspoon on each slice of hot toast and spread as best as you can
3. Sprinkle with salt
4. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning (don't be too shy -- it needs FLAVOR!)
5. Cut in half and arrange on plate

= = = = = = =

YUMMY!

Total time: You've got a restaurant quality dinner on the table in 35-40 minutes, and very little clean up.

Reactions: MickeyLee

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, thanks hotmilf. YUM. I've printed it out.

This looks like a recipe for mini cassoulet I have minus the sausage and chicken. Those cannelli beans do the trick. Sounds like it is better the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight.