Vegetarians and Health

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's great, Earl! I just read a fascinating book on the history of vegetarianism (in Western civilization, anyway) and the author details how European travel and trade with India helped spread the notion of vegetarianism through the West.

I'm curious monstro, did you go vegan for moral or health reasons? What is a typical vegan dinner?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been on and off vegetarian since I was 15. I've now been almost entirely vegetarian for 6.5 years. I do eat fish a few times a week. Without fish, I can't workout or run up and down stairs, so for me it's a necessary "evil"

What is a typical vegan dinner?

Here are two weeks of vegetarian (mostly vegan) dinners. As you can see, there is a LOT of variety.

I am partial to MY vegetarian versions of classic international dishes. I particularly like Greek, Indian, Italian, Mexican and Thai fare, and my versions are super-healthy because I never cook with high fat or cheese.

-Mushroom tacos with guacamole
-lentil-vegetable soup with fresh lemon
-Vegetable biryani, an Indian rice dish which I make with brown rice
- Rosemary-garlic white bean soup
- Risi y bisi (rice risotto with green peas - I make it with brown rice and no dairy)
- Mexican tortilla-corn soup with fresh lime and avocado
- Refried beans and Mexican rice (brown rice always) -- my refried beans are no fat and tastier and creamier than ANY local restaurant, and I live in Los Angeles where almost half the population is Latino
- Quick vegetable curry over steamed brown rice
- Country fried potatoes with lots of vegetables
- Potatoes mashed with carrots and parsnips
- Shrimp risotto (no dairy; brown rice always)
- Low fat hummus with toasted tortillas and vegetables to dip in it
- A variety of chopped salads with various toppings and dressings
- Minestrone soup (mine is to die for) (no pasta -- I don't eat white flour)
- Couscous "stuffing" with sage and rosemary
- Thai rice with coconut milk, ginger and lots of lime (always with brown basmati rice)

I cook for me, and add a little meat on the side (cooked separately from my food) for the kids and any friends that are over.

I always make my own, fresh salad dressings. The stuff from bottles tastes rancid and gross to me.

Sometimes, I cook meat-based staples for the kids (pot roast, chicken noodle soup, etc.) and eat vegetarian leftovers for me.

I never cook or serve desserts, but I keep regular and soy ice cream and fruit Popsicles in the freezer.

For some reason, avocado shuts off the appetite. Don't know why, because other fats don't seem to do the same thing. For this reason, I include it as a flavor enhancer and appetite suppressant to about half my meals. Fortunately, I live in Avocado country (Socal).

Someday, I plan on writing a PRACTICAL vegetarian/diet cookbook. So many vegetarian cookbooks require godawful amounts of time in the kitchen.

I have the blood profile and muscle tone of a teenager, so I must be doing something right.:wink:

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hotmilf, those are some great sounding dishes and the certainly appear to be working for you! When is your book going to be written?

I avoid eating mammals for, perhaps bogus, moral reasons. Also, eating meat causes me to think of slaughter:eek: I could easily go lacto-ovo vegetarian, which only removes on one step from the slaughter business, but my partner is from the midwest and probably would never go there.

Vegans are at somehat elevated risk for Vitamin B12 deficiency which, at its worst can cause potentially fatal pernicious anemia and demialinization(sp) of the spinal cord. Whether B12 supplement are absorbed well when given orally is controversial. Some vegans I have known took a shot of Vitamin B 12 every couple of weeks.

Dave

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I gave up milk (totally - and I used to drink between 12 to 14 pints a week!) and cut right down on meat (only eat it once or twice a month now - I felt that it 'blocked up' my system) nearly 18 months ago. I do eat fish & the occasion piece of chesse and the odd egg but can honestly say that I feel MUCH healthier for it. I have more energy & enthusiasm, dont get as stressed. Oh, and I've lost about 43lbs...
Havent touched coffee in all that time either but drink GALLONS of green tea instead.
I havent eaten bread for years & years and I dont like like chocolate or cream cakes either!
And yes, I do know I'm weird!
Girlfriend, what are you living on? LOL

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm curious monstro, did you go vegan for moral or health reasons? What is a typical vegan dinner?

Earl, sorry to take so long to respond. I was vegetarian for six years and went vegan after I read Peter Singer's classic book Animal Liberation last year. My veganism is based on health, environmental, and ethical reasons (I realize this is going to sound like hair splitting but I wouldn't use the word 'moral'--I actually consider veganism to be an amoral decision.) There are two basic schools of veganism, welfarist and absolutist. Welfarists like myself believe that so long as animals are treated ethically, kindly, and humanely, there's nothing inherently wrong with meat eating, or even using animals for medical testing (so long as the testing will provide benefit to more than it hurts). The problem is that very little in factory farms, restuarant, and animal labs is done humanely or ethically. And the environmental impact of meat production is harmful not only to animals and plants, but to the future of our species. The other school of thought are absolutionists--those are the true believers who, in my view, give a lot of vegetarians and vegans a bad name. You know the type: people who throw paint on fur-wearers or loudly berate meat-eaters.

And I'm a bachelor so although I'm capable in the kitchen, my inherent laziness usually trumps the day. I eat much the same every day, because I'm a creature of habit: fruit or soy yogurt for breakfast; some sort of sandwich for lunch; some type of beans for dinner, and then pasta or stir fry or salad for supper. For snacks I'll eat tortilla chips and salsa, nuts, or popcorn. I don't eat sugar so if I have a craving for sweets I'll eat some organic raisins or something like that!

Oh, and Dave you're right on about the b12. I take a supplement every day. It's also a good idea for vegans to take flax seed oil to get omega3 oil.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hotmilf, those are some great sounding dishes and the certainly appear to be working for you! When is your book going to be written?

I avoid eating mammals for, perhaps bogus, moral reasons. Also, eating meat causes me to think of slaughter:eek: I could easily go lacto-ovo vegetarian, which only removes on one step from the slaughter business, but my partner is from the midwest and probably would never go there.

Vegans are at somehat elevated risk for Vitamin B12 deficiency which, at its worst can cause potentially fatal pernicious anemia and demialinization(sp) of the spinal cord. Whether B12 supplement are absorbed well when given orally is controversial. Some vegans I have known took a shot of Vitamin B 12 every couple of weeks.

Dave

Well, thank you, Dave NoCal... I'm seriously thinking about asking The Boss for a Garden of Eatin' Forum... anyone could post anything there, but if I post my own stuff there, I guess I'll eventually have my book all written.

It's quite a trick to sharing meals with carnivores (I say that with respect and affection), and I know I'm bragging, but I think I've gotten it down to an art form -- I don't like washing lots of pots, and I wanna be in and out of the kitchen quickly.

So keep an eye out... I think it would be fun.

- - - -

I've never had the B12 shots. I'm sure they'd help because anemia IS the reason I have to eat fish. I'll have to try them. :wink:

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hotmilf have you tried flax seed? It helps provide some of same vital nutrients as fish, so it could help with the low-energy issues you mention. And the meals you mention all sound delicious :smile:

Kind of relatedly, the only two non-vegan foods I miss and still crave are sushi and pizza!

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
It may be more than just giving up meat earl. You went on a lowfat, low chemical diet. A doc here put me on a low carb diet. I felt awful for a month. Suddenly, my energy levels sky rocketed. I don't eat a lot of meat but I am allergic to a lot of grains and vegetables. I have trouble getting enough protein on a strictly meat free diet.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
While some vegetarians and vegans may be perfectly healthy my experience with the vegetarians I know is that they tend to be a bit sickly and don't have as much energy as the meat eaters I know.

meat contains a high amount of protein and iron... the main thing that aids in the production of blood. Vegetarians are usually anemic (unless they take iron supplements) and by definition anemic people don't have enough iron in their blood to help aid in oxygen getting absorbed into the bloodstream... therefore they usually don't have that much energy and stamina.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had to go on a "no red meat, no dairy products" diet for a little over a decade, due to severe food allergies (anaphalaxis is NOT fun!) Fortunately, those allergies subsided, and I can now eat pretty much whatever I want to.

I have a friend who is vegetarian, and has been since about 1980. She's a physician, so she is aware of nutrition and stays pretty healthy. Her basic philosophy is "I won't eat it, if an animal has to die to provide it." In about the last 5 years, though, she has made some rare, occasional exceptions - she will eat shrimp about once or twice a year. She jokingly refers to them as "bugs."

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here are two weeks of vegetarian (mostly vegan) dinners. As you can see, there is a LOT of variety.

I am partial to MY vegetarian versions of classic international dishes. I particularly like Greek, Indian, Italian, Mexican and Thai fare, and my versions are super-healthy because I never cook with high fat or cheese.

-Mushroom tacos with guacamole
-lentil-vegetable soup with fresh lemon
-Vegetable biryani, an Indian rice dish which I make with brown rice
- Rosemary-garlic white bean soup
- Risi y bisi (rice risotto with green peas - I make it with brown rice and no dairy)
- Mexican tortilla-corn soup with fresh lime and avocado
- Refried beans and Mexican rice (brown rice always) -- my refried beans are no fat and tastier and creamier than ANY local restaurant, and I live in Los Angeles where almost half the population is Latino
- Quick vegetable curry over steamed brown rice
- Country fried potatoes with lots of vegetables
- Potatoes mashed with carrots and parsnips
- Shrimp risotto (no dairy; brown rice always)
- Low fat hummus with toasted tortillas and vegetables to dip in it
- A variety of chopped salads with various toppings and dressings
- Minestrone soup (mine is to die for) (no pasta -- I don't eat white flour)
- Couscous "stuffing" with sage and rosemary
- Thai rice with coconut milk, ginger and lots of lime (always with brown basmati rice)

hotmif, these sound like very delicious recipies! I think I can make a switch at least a few nights a week to a vegitarian dinner. I don't eat red meat anymore as it now makes me physically ill after eating it and have been looking to try some non-chicken or non-fish dishes. I make a great cuban black bean soup sometimes which is thoroughly satisfying without any meat. Regarding vegitarian cookbooks - I have the Moosewood series from Mollie Katzen which are OK but the recipies are uneven in quality, hippy dippy and some are downright sickly fattening. I would be eager to see yours.

Earl, sorry to take so long to respond. I was vegetarian for six years and went vegan after I read Peter Singer's classic book Animal Liberation last year. My veganism is based on health, environmental, and ethical reasons (I realize this is going to sound like hair splitting but I wouldn't use the word 'moral'--I actually consider veganism to be an amoral decision.) There are two basic schools of veganism, welfarist and absolutist. Welfarists like myself believe that so long as animals are treated ethically, kindly, and humanely, there's nothing inherently wrong with meat eating, or even using animals for medical testing (so long as the testing will provide benefit to more than it hurts).

Monstro, although I understand the moral reasons for going vegan I somehow have a gut feeling that most people do it for personal health reasons. That they feel better as a result physically. I went on a macrobiotic diet for a time being in college and got ill and could not continue the regimen. I always felt like I was denying myself a great joy in life so I never went back. It was only after traveling in India that I realized that my body may do better on a plant based diet both physically and mentally. That is what has renewed my interest in going vegitarian, health.

I had to go on a "no red meat, no dairy products" diet for a little over a decade, due to severe food allergies (anaphalaxis is NOT fun!) Fortunately, those allergies subsided, and I can now eat pretty much whatever I want to.

I have a friend who is vegetarian, and has been since about 1980. She's a physician, so she is aware of nutrition and stays pretty healthy. Her basic philosophy is "I won't eat it, if an animal has to die to provide it." In about the last 5 years, though, she has made some rare, occasional exceptions - she will eat shrimp about once or twice a year. She jokingly refers to them as "bugs."

DC, what is a food allergy? I know some Asians who are lactose intolerant and throw up after drinking milk or grow dispondent and lethargic. I have realized that food can and does affect my moods so I wonder if I am infact allergic to certain foods. What are the signs of a food allergy? How did you find out you had one?

Bugs huh? In Thailand people eat fried grasshoppers as well as shrimp. They were crunchy and a bit sour. My dog eats flys.

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Monstro, although I understand the moral reasons for going vegan I somehow have a gut feeling that most people do it for personal health reasons. That they feel better as a result physically. I went on a macrobiotic diet for a time being in college and got ill and could not continue the regimen. I always felt like I was denying myself a great joy in life so I never went back. It was only after traveling in India that I realized that my body may do better on a plant based diet both physically and mentally. That is what has renewed my interest in going vegitarian, health.

That's certainly a valid reason to choose vegetarianism, Earl. I know I feel better physically. When I ate meat I felt bloated and sluggish all the time, now I've got more of a spring in my step. As many people have noted, though, it's important to eat fresh, whole foods. I think people have this idea of vegetarians as sickly because some vegetarians still eat a lot of processed and packaged foods (the list of junk foods that are 'accidentally' vegan is quite long).

Anyway, here's a great resource, 101 Reasons Why I'm Vegetarian

Best of luck to you :smile:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC, what is a food allergy? I know some Asians who are lactose intolerant and throw up after drinking milk or grow dispondent and lethargic. I have realized that food can and does affect my moods so I wonder if I am infact allergic to certain foods. What are the signs of a food allergy? How did you find out you had one?
Earl, I don't know how to describe it other than it's an allergy, to food. Lactose intolerance is different (that's when your body does not produce an enzyme needed for lactose digestion; it can be "cured" by taking a lactase supplement.)

For me, over a period of about 5 or 6 months, I started noticing that I was having several seemingly unrelated health problems - rashes that would not go away, chronic headaches, very frequent diarrhea, others. Then one time, I woke up at about 2 in the morning, itching and swollen over my entire body (I looked like someone had beaten me head to toe with a baseball bat) and my airway was swelling shut. I was going into anaphalactic shock. I went to the emergency room, got treated (steroids, antihistamines, and epinephrine). They set me up with an appointment with an allergist, and I got tested.

Allergy testing is really the only way to know for sure.