Veiled Racism in America, on LPSG

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It isn't a new trend. In fact, it's probably as old as interacial relations. What makes some people feel the need to hide their true feelings about other people- people they believe belong to other groups, i.e. "those people"?

After all, if it is in fact okay to feel like some people just aren't as good as oneself, or as the group that oneself is a member of, than why would you have to bury those feelings? Honestly, I'm not talking about what is expected or accepted by society, I'm talking about what is acceptable to self. If it's perfectly permissible to harbour certain feelings, then why would they need to be hidden? Conversely, if those sentiments do in fact present a personal problem, if one thinks they are ugly, and should be kept secret, why nurture those inklings? Why not work to rid oneself of them once and for all? Anything that can only be said behind someone's back is more than just not nice. It's probably incorrect as well.

Do closet racists know this?

I'm very curious to see if all my favorite little bridge-troll racists come running out of the woodwork to make sure no one thinks I'm talking about them. I am talking about you, I know who you are, I can see you, and I'm not afraid to name names if you push me. Fear not: I will embarass you if you pretend.

I like the south. I like upstate NY, I like the rural and suburban midwest. I like the southwest. I like anyplace where a klan member will burn a cross in front of me and boldly tell this nigger to go home. I like anyplace where the DJ will tell me to my face that they neither have, nor play jigaboo jigs 'round here, gal. I like anyplace where Sambo is a lawn jockey, stupidly waving a confederate flag. Let me know how you feel so I know how I should feel, how I need to respond. Let me know in plain, old-fashioned English. Don't let my education fool you. I come from runaways. I understand the old school epithets just fine, thank you. Nope. No need to hide behind only vaguely inapropriate comments and snide remarks which would make the less cynical, the uninitiated, the naive ask himself, "Does he know how that sounds?" I won't ask that question. You know damn' well how it sounds. We both know this, don't we?

Don't insult our intelligence LPSG bigots. There are a handful of we fags and spooks, spics and gooks who know who know you are talking to us, and not just to each other. We're watching you.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
All I'm saying is if some random white guy on the street calls me a "nigger" I'ma be busy for the next 25 years.

I didn't say that as an adult I could tolerate this behavior. But why should they hide? Are they afraid of what I'll do when I decide how to respond? Physically, I'm a lot smaller than most of the bigots I've encountered. I'm also usually unarmed (not at home, though). I did fantasize about using my battered, land boat of a car to knock this one asshole into a ditch in VA. Only thing that stopped me was my present insurance rate. it's due to go back down this July. Then it's on. White supremacists in Kias beware.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
I didn't say that as an adult I could tolerate this behavior. But why should they hide? Are they afraid of what I'll do when I decide how to respond? Physically, I'm a lot smaller than most of the bigots I've encountered. I'm also usually unarmed (not at home, though). I did fantasize about using my battered, land boat of a car to knock this one asshole into a ditch in VA. Only thing that stopped me was my present insurance rate. it's due to go back down this July. Then it's on. White supremacists in Kias beware.
Like I said, they're the worst kind of goddamn cowards.

I think a white tossing around "nigger" and "coon" is goddamn comedy. If a white guy on the streets called me a coon I'd probably collapse from laughter. Then I'd murder his ass.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have always harbored more respect for those who are man or woman enough to stand behind their views (regardless of how anyone feels about them). My greatgrandmother would always teach me that she had it so much easier in that when she was a girl/woman people did not feel inclined to hide their true feelings. She taught me to do stand behind what I say and how I feel regardless of whether it brings cheers or jeers.

Broxy said:
...After all, if it is in fact okay to feel like some people just aren't as good as oneself, or as the group that oneself is a member of, than why would you have to bury those feelings? Honestly, I'm not talking about what is expected or accepted by society, I'm talking about what is acceptable to self. If it's perfectly permissible to harbour certain feelings, then why would they need to be hidden? Conversely, if those sentiments do in fact present a personal problem, if one thinks they are ugly, and should be kept secret, why nurture those inklings? Why not work to rid oneself of them once and for all?...

This is key. The crux of the dilemma. People's sense of self and esteem is SO ingrained in what other people think of them that they pretend to be and feel in ways that they aren't and don't just to keep their fragile egos in tact.

I am SO glad that I have found the road less traveled that is slowly allowing me to escape the insignificant opinions of others. When you free yourself from that (totally)--you can be comfortable in your own skin: as a bigot, mysogynist, queer person, or any combination of the above.

Bottom line is that the human condition is sad and people are sadder. I pity those that rely soley on the verbal fellatio of others to make them feel whole.

Group think is dangerous. Rebels rock.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
HotBulge said:
Hi BronxBombShell,

Are there any specific racist comments or viewpoints that you would like to address?

Also, thank you for not starting a flame war.

The complex thing about racism and bigotry is that there are the intentional things (thoughts, comments, actions) and the socialized things that are less intentional and more the results of the generations of bigoted thought that we are all exposed to by the media, society, books, and daily interaction (i.e., the old lady clutching her purse in the grocery store line when she seems me behind her even though I have on a shirt, tie and dress pants). That reaction is socialized by the news--all black men are drug dealing, drug using thugs and thus can not be trusted: BEWARE.

Another example would be people refusing to believe that I grew up in urban Baltimore as presented on the Corner and The Wire, went to urban schools, and am now working on my Doctorate. They expect me to speak like a corner boy (And I can but not at WORK). That disbelief is socialized racism.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Veiled or open they have to come out for us to see the uglyness of it. Its ugly and kind of surprising when u find uglyness comming out in us too.

For sure i learn to have prejudice against racist white "folks" mostly in the south. I call them "rednecks" but dont know if its the correct term...its vey strange when you just stop a person to ask for directions and they plain ignore u...its hapenns a few times...it seems they are annoyed by "the mexicans are comming, the mexicans are comming" its bother me their ignorance because for them everything down the border are "mexicans" and if you "look" one you are one and you for sure a an illegal alien :rolleyes: ...and saw at least three times black men being treat terrible really terrible by white racist and saw a "mexican" looking person that was really a Porto Rican defending the old black guy and almost fight the "redneck".

I had spit and bublegum in my hair by a black guy (dont know why he did that...) and was treated with prejudice by some black "folks" too.

The thing i need for myself is trully learn fast is to speak english right with a neutral accent..that would help me a lot.

BB u dont know the frustration when you want to say things and you cant find or know the words...some people despise you not only for your "looks" but the accent you speak too.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know there are people reading this who will be hesitant to post out of fear and trepidation.

We will never make progress if we can never talk about the difficult issues.

Seriously.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HotBulge said:
Hi BronxBombShell,

Are there any specific racist comments or viewpoints that you would like to address?
She's referring to Webster's "slapahoe tribe" comment, Stronzo's posts about my avatar, Chuck64's posts about "Ebonics," etc.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It's fear, Bronxie. Fear of the unknown, fear of somebody 'different.' While there are those of us who don't have a prejudiced bone in our bodies, adversely there are those who would profit immensely from learning that skin color doesn't make the man (or woman.)

However, bias can be such a strong emotion for so many people that if every human on Earth were blind, something else would take the place of color for them to 'hate.'

Whatever you do, don't hate back. Pity them instead and for those of us who are so inclined, love them to death.

sillystring

Sexy Member
Media
That's an interesting question you ask there. Blatant in-your-face racism seemed to trickle down quite a bit after the minority (usually just an initially unorganized majority) being persecuted organizes into a tightly knit group and proceeds to defend against that which local governments will not. I think the fear of a community rising up against you for you saying what you really feel might limit the number of people willing to do it. There are always going to be groups that choose to voice their opinion via whatever medium, but they most certainly do not represent the majority.

I think that there is such a suffocating cloud of PC-ism that many people confuse dislike/hatred of an individual and their traits and actions as racism if that person happens to be of a different race. I have known many Asians (I live in Korea), Caucasians, Black People, Hispanics and whatever other ethnicity we as humans were silly enough to create to add to the confusion. In my few years on this Earth, I have met all of these peoples, and learned to appreciate and despise individuals from all groups listed, solely based on the individuals actions.

People, all people, are genetically coded to be wary of the unfamiliar. It's a survival trait, a valid one that remains the reason so many human beings have continued to prosper. It takes time for the unfamiliar to become familiar, but it is always much easier to seek out what you know and avoid the unknown. I remember feeling very uncomfortable going from California to Mississippi as a child and being placed in a middle/high school there where I was one of two white kids in the entire school. I was surrounded by a completely different culture than what I was used to (Just as I am in Korea), and it took time for me to adapt. I wasn't fearful because someone told me I should be, I was because that was how I was supposed to feel in this new and strange environment. Then those good ole' human interaction skills (internationally understood) kicked in, and I did just fine.

Racism will never die. It's definition will continue to expand as the years progress, but as long as one person sees something about another person that's different, they will have a reason to hate them. Racism almost shouldn't be the word for it in this informationally interconnected world of today. Perhaps Specieal Hatred. We're all Human, only education and life experience separate us now.

I like the topic, it's an interesting stance, I just hope no one uses it as an excuse to offend as many people as possible. I doubt that's possible, but we'll see.

Later,
SS

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dilznick said:
She's referring to Webster's "slapahoe tribe" comment, Stronzo's posts about my avatar, Chuck64's posts about "Ebonics," etc.

I would suggest that if specific statements are discussed, that they be pasted here and discussed (the statement, not the person). I know this will be a challenge.

If the comments aren't placed here, all the persons can do is attack each other, when really the comments and underlying thoughts should warrant discussion.

My 10 cents.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Hoo, boy. I really appreciate the moderators banning that stupid fuck. This is one of my favorite topics and it's really hard for me to come off as sincere without sounding preachy.

I get emotional about this subject, but have found that shaking fists or fingers at other white folks is pretty useless most of the time, unless I get to spend some face to face time with them. So I don't know how to support my friend publicly without looking the fool.

But I'm here, and you bigots need to get the fuck out, because this town ain't big enough...

Don't fuck with me or my friends. You will draw back a stump if you do.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Picture

a) a black guy on the street calling a white guy a cracker or a honky motherfucker.

b) a white guy on the street calling a black guy a coon or a goddamn nigger.

Keeping it real, which is more socially offensive and why?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
I know there are people reading this who will be hesitant to post out of fear and trepidation.

We will never make progress if we can never talk about the difficult issues.

Seriously.

No doubt Lex. But here's my sense. I think Bronxy's contention is inflammatory by its very suggestion.

@ Bronxy. I don't see racism here or any particular bigotry even directed at my own "kind" (homophobes). If I sense it at all I deal with it firsthand with the indiviudal source. Easy. This board is remarkably free of the smallness that infects other message boards. I find most regular posters amazing enlightened in this regard.

It seems as though, to me, you're looking for ghosts around every corner. I agree with the previous poster "HotBulge" - what specifics do you have?

I find the level of heightened awareness on this board (generally) pretty impressive and I think it deserves due notice.

I don't see the phenomenon.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Dr. Dilznick said:
All I'm saying is if some random white guy on the street calls me a "nigger" I'ma be busy for the next 25 years.

Query:

Would being targeted with a racist epithet be worse than (for example) being denied a job, or refused entry to a club, due to your race?

I tend to consider the economic effects of racism as being worse than the puerile name-calling that goes on, but since I haven't been the target of racism (so far as I know) I'm not sure which is actually worse to experience...

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Shelby said:
Picture

a) a black guy on the street calling a white guy a cracker or a honky motherfucker.

b) a white guy on the street calling a black guy a coon or a goddamn nigger.

Keeping it real, which is more socially offensive and why?

Both are noxious, but I would select b), because the white guy already has as his birthright so many privileges not available to the black man, why does he need to call him names to further degrade and demean him? Unless the things Louis Farrakhan says about us are true...

People call each other names out of fear and ignorance.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:rolleyes:
Dr. Dilznick said:

First off ... let "she" speak for herself.

And my comment about your avatar is only that I don't like female ass nor do I like large ones. Get a grip. Christ almighty get over yourselves.

**aside: The overt intention of this thread is to divide this board. There can be no doubt. And, it's obnoxious.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
I would suggest that if specific statements are discussed, that they be pasted here and discussed (the statement, not the person). I know this will be a challenge.

If the comments aren't placed here, all the persons can do is attack each other, when really the comments and underlying thoughts should warrant discussion.

My 10 cents.
Thanks Lex. I've delt with Dilznick before and I know his modus. It comes as no great shock that he'd direct his shit at me and morph my one comment about his avatar to imply racism. That chick is still nasty, has a fat ass, and I'd like it out of my face irrespective of its hue.

He can have a fucking ball for all I care. :rolleyes: