Vermont senate votes to call for impeachment of bush/cheney

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by madame_zora, Apr 20, 2007.

1. madame_zora

Gold Member

MONTPELIER, Vt. Apr 20, 2007 (AP)— Vermont senators voted Friday to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, saying their actions have raised "serious questions of constitutionality."

The nonbinding resolution was approved 16-9 without debate, all six Republicans in the chamber at the time and three Democrats voted against it. Bush and Cheney's actions in the U.S. and abroad, including in Iraq, "raise serious questions of constitutionality, statutory legality, and abuse of the public trust," the resolution reads.

The Vermont Senate is believed to be the first state chamber in the country to pass such a resolution, said Bill Wyatt, a spokesman for the National Conference of State Legislatures.

"Many chambers passed resolutions about the war in Iraq, but none that we are aware have called for impeachment," he said.
    Advocates were thrilled with the vote.

ABC News: Vermont Senate: Impeach the President

2. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

16-9 without debate, hot damn! Does that actually have any progressive implications?

3. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh Man.

This is the BEST thing that I have heard all MONTH!

LETS GO PEOPLE

WRITE YOUR SENATORS. PUSH THIS THROUGH!!!!

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

It might be more fun to just let the election be their demise. Then they won't be able to cry that it was "against the will of the American people", or some similar bullshit.

5. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

Yawn....

Call me when the body that actually declares war wakes up and actually declares peace.:cool:

Or realizes that war wasn't declared and that the 190 days or whatever The Dick in Chief gets to send troops around the world w/o congress' okie dokey is up.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Vermont senators voted Friday to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, saying their actions have raised "serious questions of constitutionality."

Praise God! With any luck the rest of the country will act like lemmings and follow in the footsteps of Vermont. My cutiepatootie Rikter8 is correct, this is the best news I have heard all month. Even better it comes on the eve of my 41st birthday!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

7. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Once every three months or so, I have this dream that Bush Jr. calls an impromptu session of Congress. He announces to the Congress and the to American public that he and top administrative officials are resigning...

and then I wake up.... that sounds more like the UK with the prime minister's prerogative to disband hsi cabinet and call an election.....

This news from Vermont's Senate, though, is a promising ray of light in a bleak time in US history, even if the act is more symbolic. We'll have to see how other organizations, such as MoveOn.org, handle this. If they help to organize other state legislatures to pass similar resolutions, we may actually go somewhere with a national impeachment....

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Good idea, I just sent them a request to begin a campaign since I didn't see anything about it on their site yet. Couldn't hurt for more of us to do the same.

9. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:

Oh M-Z, you were so right. I wasn't being pro-active enough. Thank you for speaking up ... I'll do the same. :cool:

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I have one thing to say. Ahem.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wish all our legislators were yankees.:smile:

12. a610guy

a610guy New Member

NJQT, does this mean your birthday is April 21st?
    Mine too, but a few years old.

Happy Birthday. :kiss:

13. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    No. What is means is a serious waste of taxpayer money. Like when the City of San Francisco pushes a referendum on this crap... yet can't clean up crime, drugs, etc... money and time WELL spent.

14. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

with 100% of the Republicans voting against it and a handful of Dems also voting against it, and this being Vermont, I would say no. This has no implications for anything. Am I wrong? What's with all the non-binding resolutions lately? Do we really need to vote on what to complain about?

15. Onslow

Gold Member

It means very little since the Democrats could not get any Republicans to side with them and even three of their own party didn't agree with it. On the Federal level at least, you have some Republicans rallying against Junior--that is of much greater value towards this matter.

No.

It's called politcs--waste is the first and most important thing in politics. Doing good for people ranks somewhere down towards the bottom of the heap.

Politicians need this sort of vote to help build up their image. For Democrats who voted for this, it shows on the National level that they are true Democrats which might get them the cushy second in command slot on the Presidential ballots next November, For Democrats voting against it, there is an image presented of 'frre thinking' persons who will 'not be bound to party line politics'. For the Republicans it is an opportunity to point at the Democrats and accuse them of wasting time on frivolous voting. Let's look at reality, this is a frivolous vote since even if 40 states had similiar votes, they still would have no direct bearing on Washington as such and Bush and Cheney would get another few opportunities to chuckle. The vote is somewhat meaningless. It does nothing to either Bush or Cheney; but, it does give the state politicians a bit of time in the National Spotlight.

I will be more impressed if a state legislature votes on this and it at least garners some Republican support.

16. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    Happens all the time. Never amounts to anything, sadly.

If there was a chance of anything like this getting through, it'd be the Rhode Island version, which very clearly and effectively outlined its contents and why the impeachment should occur. Naturally, it didn't do well in the big picture.

17. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:

Yes, the vote is symbolic yet impotent. Let's not dismiss the power of symbolism too quickly, though. It's a vote "for the record" before the fact, before the judgment of history. Rarely ever has there been an elected official in US history so significantly at odds with the Will of the people for a prologned period of time. The Bush administration has been brilliant at holding this nation hostage and directing this country towards ruin. Again the littany of usual complaints: (1) driving up the national debt (2) engaging in a protracted, costly, and dubiously justified war (3) cutting taxes for the wealthies few while increasing the financial burden of the middle class, etc.

An understandable although cynical perspective... If enough activism is raised from Vermont's resolution, then it could be the catalyst that the nation needs to take more severe action against Bush. Since Bush rejects the views of the people and the bi-partisan Iraq Study Group, he's leaving the nation with no alternative but to push back

It's a matter of time. A spark can either burn and fizzle out, or it can spread. It only takes one match to start a forest fire.:cool:

18. boerkie

boerkie New Member

It only takes one match to start a forest fire bulge says

amen and lets give it time. enough people sees it, and hears about it, it will cause action.

right after the intrusion into our private lives by junior and co. began, who would have IMAGINED that a vote against being in iraq was possible.

you see, americans, like all people, are wowed by charisma. but if charisma is not backed by character, we fortunately tend to pick up on that pretty damn fast!

19. faceking

Albums:
    I know... just helping to raise awareness when civic leaders take time, money and effort to vote and/or proclaim on measures that are light years from our control. I'm all for stating an opinion, but use that effort to fix more potholes, help schools, and so forth.

20. faceking

Albums:
    Whu?! Civic bodies voted against it back in '02, where wuz ya? ;-) Here in NorCal, I know Santa Cruz did, and I think a week later they called for impeachment.

Draft saved Draft deleted