Very odd question but i'm curious!

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
headbang8 said:
Here's my take: asexuals are sexually autistic.

And according to the little text boxes to the left of your post, you are 90% procreatively autistic.

So what?

What's it to me if you don't want to have sex with women? What's it to you if someone doesn't want to have sex, period? Particularly if the absence of sex doesn't bother them?

I'm not trying to be snarky, here, but it astonishes me how intolerant people can be about other people's sexual choices. I'm speaking as someone who a) seriously thought he was asexual for a while, and b) spent a little bit of time in the BDSM community (so I know something about being the target of intolerance re: sexuality).

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I'm going to be deliberately provocative, here.

Excellent, I love the challenge.:rolleyes:

If anyone wants to be asexual, that's fine. But really, it's like saying that anorexia is fine.
Is that really the same thing, headbang? I mean...Regardless of Heather's point about animal instinct.... People don't have to be continuously sexual. They are allowed to feel Asexual. Not having a desire to reproduce may be odd to some, but to compare it to anorexia? Why, that is just nonsense.

I convinced myself I was asexual for a time in my teens and twenties. Sex with women held little satisfaction, and sex with men was unthinkable. I immersed myself in platonic friends, matters intellectual, and sought higher enlightenment. I was above it all.

Of course, I was fine. But not great. Not living up to my potential as a human being. Cutting myself off from life.

So, your potential as a human, is to reproduce? Headbang, you are being extreme. Yes, you were not having sexual contact with others, but you were still interacting with humans. You said you were with friends, and sought enlightenment. Nothing wrong with that.

Funny how when we have described being asexual in this thread, even in a good way, it's always in the negative. It's fine. Big D doesn't need to suffer women who want therapy. Jeff Black lists the causes: low testosterone, poorly developed hypothalamus, drug or alcohol abuse (all that's fine, Jeff?). Davidjh cites depression. Macarion says burned out. Pecker says frigid. Here's my take: asexuals are sexually autistic.

You do make a really good point here.:smile: The posters do seem to have asexuality displayed in a negative way.

I am for asexuality, if that is what the person is comfortable with. I was just showing examples of other reasons people may be asexual. It can be a choice. MY examples were merely to correct Heather's earlier point, as I disagreed with it.
And just because I may become too old and decrepit to do the deed (that could be starting as we speak!) doesn't mean I will ever be asexual. If I'm so choosy about whom I fuck that I don't have sex for years, I'm not asexual. Sexuality is in my head, heart and loins. Asexuality is NOT like gender preference, it's a failure to thrive of the soul.

Asexuals remind me of the ex-gay movement. They can fake it for a while. But they'll out themselves eventually.

If (and I did say IF) asexuality is just a Phase or a choice, you are correct. It would just fizzle out. But, people are allowed to feel any way they wish. Sexuality is just another thing, much like being Bi or gay or straight... being "A" is something that a person feels is right. Best not to knock it.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
You know, this debate really demonstrates the value of the LPSG. Naughty_girl posts an innocent question, and it reveals a common experience in many lives that would not be discussed openly otherwise. And the discussion seems to have touched a nerve or two, in a good way.

(Hence it's a long post. More provocative stuff! Apologies.)

Rob and Jeff, I want to thank you both for your spirited rebuttal of my post--you make excellent points, all of which I respect. I made value judgements, and they seem to be values that many don't share.

Are these value judgements personal? I wonder about that. Maybe they're generational. Jeff, at 24, you're a Gen Y. Rob, at 38, you're a Gen X. And at 49 (as of today, BTW) I'm a late Boomer. Amongst my generation, sexual liberty is a symbol of personal empowerment. Does that colour my opinions? Sure does.

For the depression/war generation, the symbol of personal empowerment might have been the ability to live in peace and security. Or for young adults today, it may be financial independence or professional autonomy--not answering to a boss or fitting into a system. It may be the ideal of personal authenticity. Indeed, these might be much worthier values to pursue than the mere freedom to get your end in. Granted.

Whether I'm a spokesperson for my generation, or just loudmouthing my own damn opinions, let me make an impassioned plea for romantic love. It has a place in everyone's life.

Not just for the sake of making babies. Plenty of romantic love makes no babies. 99.9% of all straight bonks don't, and 100% of gay ones don't.

This brings us to a very telling bit of language. Rob, ol' pal, let's interrogate the phrase procreatively autistic. I used the term autistic in its literal sense. Detatched from personal relationships. Uncomfortable with (and even upset by) human interaction.

You're right. I am procreatively autistic, but in a very different way from what you think.

I was sperm donor in college. My brother was in med school and the authorities nagged all the able-bodied boys to help out with a donor shortage. He nagged me in turn, noting unkindly that my dick seemed otherwise put to no good use.

So, I created babies in a literally autistic way. With an impersonal, emotionally unintelligent, clumsy human exchange. The nearest I came to touching the heart of a real, live human female in the whole shebang was noticing the embarassment on the nurse's face as she exited the cube, pointing to the stack of Playboys on the coffee table "...in case you need some, er, help."

Of course, I was sexually autistic, too. So detatched and uncomfortable with sex, that I scarcely stopped to wonder why the Playboy wasn't working.

That said, the urge to procreate, lurking in the back of my mind, had been sated. I take great pride that there are young men out there with my receding hairline, and young women who will develop a headbang backache, probably in pregnancy. They're moderately tall, good with words, have mediocre pitch and excellent spatial perception. They might just play a mean game of tennis. They need to watch their weight. The men will sit on their large testicles if they're not careful. I fret that some of them may not be loved. If sex is about the urge to procreate, then it's a done deal.

But sex is something else, too. Here's my Darwinian take on it. It's about control.

Staying in control, generally, is a good thing to do. Our desire to control our environment has served us well, in an evolutionary sense.

But it's taxing. We need to loosen the reins, from time to time. To do that, you need to feel safe. Safe in the arms of another human being you trust. How many times have we heard romantic love described in terms of reckless abandon? Dammit, it feels good to let go.

And if you're going to raise children, two trusting lovers who create a safe haven in each others' hearts, will create a safe and loving family. Kids teach us much about love: just try staying emotionally contained in the presence of a child, especially your own.

If you let yourself go with someone you don't/can't trust, that's dangerous. Many people actually get off on that kind of danger, I understand.

(A side-bar conversation: Rob, I'm genuinely interested in your BDSM experience as it relates to all this. Trust, danger and safety issues must loom large. What changed in your life that made you want to give it up? Does it inform your asexuality in any way?)

How do asexuals let go?

Maybe they don't need to let go. Maybe they feel secure in their lives and hearts already. Maybe they feel safe, in their own sense of self. No need for someone else to reassure them. Maybe they have other passions. Maybe, like the Big Dirigible, they have really, really good hobbies--any kind of play, helps you let go.

Or, maybe they're so tightly wound that they have trouble letting go. That they feel the risk of a trust betrayed is so great, that they don't feel they can afford to take it. HIV helped cement this belief; sex risked more than illegitiimate babies and burning discharges; it risked death. Even though it's laughably easy to reduce the risk to near zero. This cultural climate reaches its zenith in modern America. It is a climate of personal distrust, reflected in one of our most basic urges.

In such a climate, the coiled spring bursts out of the box in other ways--as several noted; depression, drug abuse, neurosis, et al.

It troubles me that this day and age devalues romantic love. Independence and responsibility for one's self take the front seat, while the bonds between human beings seem to offer little strength in the grand scheme.

Of course, there are some kinds of romantic love that have earned their place in the trash can. Knight-in-shining-armour-style romance is sexist and bogus. And offers a bum deal to both genders. The gal surrenders power and the guy never gets to relax. It's an emotional desert.

Rather, let's celebrate the playful, goofy, head-over-heels, Singin'-in-the-Rain-type romance that makes us remember what life is for.

OK, Jeff, asexuality isn't like anorexia, in that nobody will drop dead of horniness tomorrow. But what of the slow death which comes from being lonely?

In my asexual days, I convinced myself that just because I was busy and had lots of good friends, that I wasn't lonely. As you point out, there's "nothing wrong" with an active life in which you seek enlightenment through scholarship, intelligent discourse, and trade in the currency of ideas. But there's an enlightenment that you must discover within your own soul, and love helps you find it.

Many have pointed out that being asexual, at least for some periods in your life, "feels right". From that, they argue it's a sexual orientation like any other. Not sure I totally buy it, but no one can dispute the right of people to be comfortable in their own skin.

One can't argue the need for romantic love logically, either. Scholars have tried and failed. But poets succeed.

On the wall in the Anglican church rector's office where I sometimes attend meetings, there's a sign. It reads God will hold us accountable for legitimate pleasures we have not enjoyed.

Or as Coco Chanel once said, "There's a time for work and a time for love. That leaves no other time."

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
sares said:
this is what gets me. imagine completely separating yourself from the sexual world... and it turns out you just hadn't met the right person yet.

She wasn't completely shut off. She just had no interest. She had sexual contact, because she understood it to be part of a healthy relationship. She was willing to try, she just lacked enthusiasm. She's a scientist by nature, and had a wide range of experiences and "experiments", just no real interest or pleasure. Until she met someone who aroused an insatiability. Three years later, and I can barely get her to the phone. They remain utterly voracious for each other. Anyway, in her case, she wasn't cutt off, sexually. Or, were you asking a hypothetical, such as, "Imagine if she had..."

sares said:
humans have a lot of the same biology and chemicals that animals do (pheremones, hormones guiding the drive to reproduce), so I can't believe some people just don't come equipped with the chemistry that screams, "connect, make communities, continue the line."

I met a girl born without knuckles in one hand when I was growing up. On the other hand, some of my knuckles are double jointed. *shrug* Who's to say some people don't carry an excess of some things while others go without those things alltogether?

sares said:
maybe it's a combination of low doses of hormones (nature) plus something in their upbringing (nurture) that generates a person like this.

Sounds reasonable to me! My female example comes from a divorce situation, and the male one comes from a dysfunctional situation.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
headbang8 said:
Whether I'm a spokesperson for my generation, or just loudmouthing my own damn opinions, let me make an impassioned plea for romantic love. It has a place in everyone's life.

You misrepresent asexuals by assuming they are all without romantic love. I'm sure many have love, and just no interest in sex. I only know two. One has had plenty of love, but prior to her current relationship, no real interest in sex.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
headbang8 said:

Not just for the sake of making babies. Plenty of romantic love makes no babies. 99.9% of all straight bonks don't, and 100% of gay ones don't.

This brings us to a very telling bit of language. Rob, ol' pal, let's interrogate the phrase procreatively autistic. I used the term autistic in its literal sense. Detatched from personal relationships. Uncomfortable with (and even upset by) human interaction.

As BronxBombshell stated, you can be asexual and still enjoy human interaction.

I was in a relationship during some of my 'asexual' phases (I use quotes around 'asexual' because I am not sure I truly was asexual then - I'm not quite sure what to call it). I didn't feel motivated to have sex with her, or with anyone. I still enjoyed her company, and we had a lot of fun together, but needless to say it was hard for her to understand, and not something I really could explain. It was often easier to go through the motions. And when sex was happening, I enjoyed it - I just didn't feel motivated to initiate it, and when she wasn't initiating, I didn't miss it. I did miss her, when we weren't together, though.

headbang8 said:
But sex is something else, too. Here's my Darwinian take on it. It's about control.

Staying in control, generally, is a good thing to do. Our desire to control our environment has served us well, in an evolutionary sense.

But it's taxing. We need to loosen the reins, from time to time. To do that, you need to feel safe. Safe in the arms of another human being you trust. How many times have we heard romantic love described in terms of reckless abandon? Dammit, it feels good to let go.

I see where you're going - but you can have romantic love without sex. Losing control doesn't always involve sex.

headbang8 said:
(A side-bar conversation: Rob, I'm genuinely interested in your BDSM experience as it relates to all this. Trust, danger and safety issues must loom large. What changed in your life that made you want to give it up? Does it inform your asexuality in any way?)

Not to go off topic, but I'll respond: I didn't find what I was looking for in a woman through BDSM. BDSM enthusiasts (I was more curious than enthusiastic) are a tiny sliver of the general population - too small a group in which to find someone with all (or most of) the other qualities I value, in my estimation.

Happy birthday. :smile:

B_Spladle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
naughty_girl said:
I was just wondering what if u dont fancy men OR women and u r not attracted to anybody at all... just wondering if there was a name for it?
Asexuality.

Edit: I am retarded. This thread is old. There was obviously no need for me to answer this question. I will go kill myself now kthx.