Vh1's "Greatest Hits of the 80s"

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I started to watch this program tonight, but I had to turn it off because it got too depressing. It's just painful to look at all the people who were hot in the 80s and see that they are now pounchy and aging. The other thing: it's painful to realize how stupid I was back then; so many of those songs and videos were so cool back then, but now so many of them are so corny. But I should cut myself some slack. I was all of 5-15 during the 80s.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i'm watching Greatest Songs of the 90's and i love how it makes me all nostalgic. the 80's were a beautiful year for ballads, love songs, and rock, but the 90's just takes me back to being a kid. i'm a child of the 90's!

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Yeah, I'm about seven years older than you. So, you're still in your 20s.

The thing is, these guys were the ultimate in cool back then. They were my age then. Twenty-five years later, they're douches. Is that what's going to happen to me? :(

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
90s I can deal with because that's only seven+ years ago. The people hadn't fallen apart yet.

i'm watching Greatest Songs of the 90's and i love how it makes me all nostalgic. the 80's were a beautiful year for ballads, love songs, and rock, but the 90's just takes me back to being a kid. i'm a child of the 90's!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its just how it goes. In ten years youll be watching some hip hop videos of dudes ballin in a club sippin bub and youll laugh at it. What is cool now won't be cool forever. Hell I watch some videos from around 2000 like nelly and think its kind of corny, but it was cool then...

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
henry, we all have those moments where we go "what the fuck was i thinking!?!" when we look back at the things we did and liked in the past.

and plus, when you look back, you can really see how stupid we must've been. remember "Barbie Girl" by Aqua? you might not :p but it was the shit back in its heyday. looking back at it, it's no wonder that that was Aqua's only hit. it was a hugely stupid song and video. lol...

i think you're just a little worried about getting older. :p i can see how it could be jarring to see the icons of your generation all old and tired.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I have to be honest, I find that Barbie Girl song and video sexy. I like the idea of a really brainless, empty, plastic girl with no self-esteem who would give it up for me really easily, lol. Pathetic, but true.

Like this parody of Britney Spears. I love it.

YouTube - Mad TV: Britney Spears parody - "Lick My Baby Back Behind"

I suppose that's one thing that is eternal. Sexy women are always cool. Marilyn Monroe is still cool fourty years later. Posturing guys who think they're cool today ... pathetic a decade later. (Hammer, etc.)

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my opinion , in general terms music in 80's and 90's were way better than most of today music that is mostly crap.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Geez, I graduated high school in '82. Have to agree though, I liked the music more back then than now.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The 80's were a zany fun time, nice to look back on, but not to stay there, and please, let some things stay in the 80's, like putting holes in your jeans on purpose and the jeri curl, that needs to stay dead.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The 80's were a zany fun time, nice to look back on, but not to stay there, and please, let some things stay in the 80's, like putting holes in your jeans on purpose and the jeri curl, that needs to stay dead.

I wish I could have stayed in the 80's or the 70's. Those times were so much better than this new millennium.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree. Although i wouldn't call the current music "crap". There are lots of good songs.

And most of today's good songs are overshadowed by a lot of the bad records that have million dollar advertisement budgets behind them.

I think the worst thing about most records in this decade is the songwriting. Recently, I saw the video "One, Two Step" by Ciara with subtitles on in a waiting room. And in a 4 minute song, I probably counted only 20 words (including and, is & the). Compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s where there was plenty of good, creative writing in music (some on the lines of poetic), I actually felt stupid liking that song at one time. People get so mesmerized by the beat that they don't even realize that they're listening to something that is the equivilant to fast food. And I won't even start about the state of Hip-Hop right now. Let's just say that compared to the 90s when I was actually buying a lot of it, the majority of today's tracks (both lyrically and production) is just a joke.

We can restore music if we all decide to turn off overly corporate stuff like FM Radio, MTV, VH-1 and BET. Music is much more fun to experience if you just use your ears & your heart instead of some hyped show or radio personality who is forcing you to listen to the same 5 songs every hour on the hour.