Vibram 5 finger shoes

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by CUBE, Jan 12, 2010.

1. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wondered if any of you guys have tried these running shoes. It appears to be the new rage. It is like running bare foot I guess. Talked to a young guy that swears by these shoes but was interested in what others have to say. Anyone using them? Some brands and styles better than others?

2. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I bought mine at Injeanious in San Francisco and have been wearing them off and on for about 8 months. They're interesting, but not quite what I expected.

The benefit is supposed to come from wearing them regularly for sport or even street wear, but I don't wear them nearly that much. Can't say as I've actually tried running in them. They can be a bear to put on (toes easily go into the wrong slot), but once they're on it's hard to forget you're wearing something different.

I've used them for boating a few times, but I've only worn them with a business suit once.

3. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    thanks for the feedback. the guy i was talking to said he tends to run now on the front part of his foot but says it feels right.

4. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know 2 girls who use them and swear by them...
    They claim they have better sense of balance because of them.

Those still weird me out, but they weren't made for me! :lmao:

5. chamisaguy

chamisaguy Active Member

Albums:
    my personal trainer wears them often, swears by them for feel, additional muscle interactions in the legs and feet vs. swearing heavier cross-training/running shoes, etc. Other trainers also wear them at my gym for workouts and while working with their clients. I picked up a pair of them, with the webbing across the arch and the strap behind the heel (yes, they look weird or "gorilla-like" but less like ballet practice shoes than the original style). I agree they're tricky to get on quickly, best to sit down and work your toes in like gloves, or at least my toes cooperate best that way! I wouldn't wear them out for general use, myself, and certainly not with a suit! Just my inhibitions kicking in, I guess. LOL

They are very comfortable, lightweight, give a good "feel" for the surface you're on but protect your feet from sharp stones, etc. by the rubber soles. I don't run (that's another story) but my trainer says they're "awesome" for trail running, climbing, crossing creeks, etc.

I think they're a good break from shoes at home, or at the gym. It makes sense to me that there are benefits to bringing your natural body design in the feet back into more play when one is walking, running, playing some sports, etc.

6. RideRocket

Gold Member

I've been wearing them for about 5 months now and love them. It's either my Army boots or these when I'm out and about. I've increased my run time significantly and my lower back pain goes away when wearing them. Also, I feel I have much better posture as a result. If anyone is interested, you should also read the book "Born to Run" by McDougal - very interesting read about the whole shoe industry v. natural process.
    The only gripe would be is that if you wear them sans socks, they can get pretty ripe. But... I really don't care.

7. catman

Gold Member

I just wonder about how they irritate the toes and sweat. Also basic protection (I know they are 'just' for running).

Saw a guy at the grocery with them on, made me think of a cartoon duck...

8. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    First off, I think they are a great alternative to a flip-flop. Second, I don't know if I'm the only one who feels like it makes sense to go back to the "barefoot" concept... that humans are suppose to walk on their feet. I know a couple people who have them and say running is much more comfortable; better balance etc.

I'm probably going to purchase my mother and I. I heard it does take a bit of getting use to it at first though.

9. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Nice.....Five Fingers

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted