Vic sentenced to 23 months in prison

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Italian1, Dec 10, 2007.

?

Was Michael Vick's sentence a fair one?

1. Vick got the right sentence

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Vick should have been sentenced to less time

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Vick should have been sentenced to more time

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for running a "cruel and inhumane" dogfighting ring and lying about it. The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback could have been sentenced up to five years by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson. Vick, who turned himself in Nov. 19 in anticipation of his sentence, was wearing a black-and-white striped prison suit.
    After Vick apologized to the court and his family, Hudson told him: "You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you."
    "Yes, sir," Vick answered.
    The 27-year-old player acknowledged using "poor judgment" and added, "I'm willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions."
    Although there is no parole in the federal system, rules governing time off for good behavior could reduce Vick's prison stay by about three months, resulting in a summer 2009 release.
    "You were instrumental in promoting, funding and facilitating this cruel and inhumane sporting activity," Hudson told Vick.
    Before the hearing, Michael Vick's brother, Marcus Vick, sat with his right arm around their mother, comforting her as she buried her head in her hands and wept.
    Falcons owner Arthur Blank called the sentencing another step in Vick's "legal journey."
    "This is a difficult day for Michael's family and for a lot of us, including many of our players and fans who have been emotionally invested in Michael over the years," Blank said. "We sincerely hope that Michael will use this time to continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard."
    Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL and lost all his lucrative endorsement deals. The league had no comment Monday on the judge's ruling.
    One of Vick's attorneys, Lawrence Woodward, asked for leniency. He said Vick "grew up on some of probably the meanest and roughest streets in this commonwealth," but had never been in trouble with the law and had done much for charities.

2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    RIP.......He'll come back to the NFL and play running back after putting on some jail weight. What a shame though, he will be the poster boy for incoming NFL players who will have to deal with having bad people around them. Looks like he was keeping things a little too real.

3. sjprep06

sjprep06 New Member

Albums:
    Wow, he got off relatively easy. The media made it sound like the judge was gonna bring the electric chair into the courtroom. He isn't sorry for what he did, he's sorry because he got caught AND because his 'friends' sold him out with the quickness and that's a big difference

4. Osiris

Gold Member

He got the right sentence, but it had nothing to do with the courts. He lost his millions in salary and endorsements. 23 months in jail is nothing as I am sure he will be in a country club prison.

5. hot-rod

Gold Member

He's a mean spirited person and should have gotten 5 years for what he did to defenseless animals. I'd like to know why crooked politicians don't have to forfeit their homes. pensions and their right to vote.

6. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Maybe Virginia's judge will give him an additional 40 years and some "slippery soap!"

7. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Fat chance of that ever happening!
    He was a celebrity and celebrities,politicians and those who have money are held to a different standard, than those of us, with no cash.
    Word.
    cigarbabe:saevil:

8. Osiris

Gold Member

What she said. Yo cigarbabe, can I borrow fitty dollahs? :biggrin1:

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

He should have got longer, however when there are people who kill children and get off with lighter sentences what can we expect?

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree.
    I saw an item on the news about nine "men" who where found guilty of gang-raping a ten year old girl in Australia. They were given no jail time for the crime. The judge (a women btw) said during the sentencing, that the girl "was not forced and she probably agreed to have sex with all of you".

Unbelievable isn't it?

Appeal lodged over 'lenient' Aboriginal rape sentences - Times Online

11. No_Strings

Gold Member

Intriguing that if he'd been honest and open from the very beginning, he almost certainly wouldn't have served a single minute of jailtime. Tut tut.

12. LemacST

Gold Member

He's a fucking asshole and I hope he gets ass-raped throughout his vacation, I just wish he got more years

13. simcha

Gold Member

In the USA if you have money, you get "justice" (which is really special treatment under the law in the courts). If you have no money, you are at the whim of the crooked courts and lawyers who will make sure you are ass-raped in prison.

He got off easy and will most likely be able to serve almost no time at all due to some "technicality" or "good behavior" or even a bribe of some kind.

14. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    He'll probably be isolated in jail, like many celeberty thugs, so I doubt he'll be jailhouse bait.

Yes, he should have gotten more time, but having a name helps reduce your time in jail. Like all the time Paris Hilton spent in jail, where ordinary people like many of us would have drawn a year for her crimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted