Victims of Global Warming

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by TurkeyWithaSunburn, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    YouTube - That Sinking feeling - PNG
    17min documentary about a coral island chain off Papua New Guinea

Happening in Alaska too
    The Yup'ik Eskimos are the world's first climate-change refugees. A special report by Ed Pilkington | Environment | The Observer

BBC NEWS | Europe | Sea engulfing Alaskan village

But there is some good news too, global warming might be stable for the next 10 yrs.
    BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Next decade 'may see no warming'

Aren't you glad you don't live in a lowlying sea area?

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

as far as the Inuit, good riddance I say

using the BS exemption of subsistence culture, they have continued to slaughter creatures I deem more magnificent than they (cetaceans)

The Yup'ik Eskimos are the world's first climate-change refugees. A special report by Ed Pilkington | Environment | The Observer :

It is true that the villagers are not blameless innocents in their relationship with the environment. On our way out of Newtok, back at Bethel airport, I notice a poster with a photograph of a magnificent bird soaring over the tundra. 'Help us save the emperor goose,' the poster says. 'It is endangered. Don't hunt it.' Then I remember the feast Stanley Tom cooked for us... emperor goose stew.
    It is true, too, that Eskimos have enjoyed the spoils of a fossil-fuel economy along with the rest of us. They have traded in their kayaks for motor boats. They have retired their huskies and replaced them with snowmobiles, saving themselves the labour of fishing for sticklebacks to feed the dogs. The combustion engine has allowed them to travel much greater distances over the pack ice in search of seals or caribou, while every week the plane brings in boxes of Cossack food - baked beans, chocolate, Coke - to spice up the repetitive winter diet.

3. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Inupiat to the north of the Yupik on the northern Bering and Arctic Ocean coasts of Alaska would be perhaps a bit surprised at the author describing them as not Eskimo, that is what they call themselves. Inuit has become the preferred term of their Canadian cousins, but is less commonly used here. They call us Gussicks, derived from Cossack, but not pronounced or spelled that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted