Victory in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sargon20, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sargon20

Gold Member

We Report You Decide :rolleyes: As only the Wall Street Journal Editorial page can spin it......

Victory in Iraq

American arms created a republic, if Iraqis can keep it.

• Bush defied Congress and the recommendations of his own Iraq Study Group in favor of the 2007 surge, which history will likely recall as Mr. Bush's finest hour.
      • This admirable American effort has now given Iraqis the opportunity to govern themselves democratically.
      • provide incentive for Washington and Baghdad to negotiate a more permanent U.S. military presence, both as a balancing force within the country and especially as a hedge against Iran. Having sacrificed so much for Iraq's freedom, the U.S. should attempt to reap the shared strategic benefits of a longer-term alliance, as we did after World War II with Japan and Germany.
      • Somewhere down the road, we trust that August 18, 2010 will be remembered as Victory in Iraq day.

2. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

lol... Victory? lol

Yes, victory for US military contractors.

3. avg_joe

Gold Member

Lockheed Martin and Halliburton.

4. trackdude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey guys don't forget the private military companies too!

5. houtx48

Gold Member

Probably need to keep it going keep the unemployment figures from going down. As far as victory in Iraq that remains to be seen.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

Victory in Iraq? It's not possible. We haven't had video of Alfred E. Newman landing a Navy training jet on an aircraft carrier beamed at us 24/7 with the subliminal "Mission Accomplished!" burning holes in the back of our brains . . . yet.

7. maxcok

Gold Member

Well, I've been wondering when somebody was going to start a thread about the end of the Iraq War.

Anyhoo, didn't that actually end back in May 2003? :confused:

Here kids, a brief history of "Mission Accomplished" in a ten image slideshow:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

And a bonus image, especially for El Bear. :biggrin2:

P.S.
    S
    pin it, no shit! How come there's no writer's byline, btw? Reading that crap made me want to :puke:

#7 maxcok, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  8. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

I don't want to burst your bubble but bringing home the soldiers will make the unempolyment numbers go up. You do realize that they get paid for their service?

9. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Imagine the political fun we'll have once the Republicans figure out that most soldiers are minorities and don't have a whole lot of job skills.

10. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

actually I think it's only a about 35%but i don't know that for sure. I do know that most vote republican and I also know that they get quite a few job skills. they certainly don't like a weak commander in chief. as

illustrated by McChrystal.

11. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Unfortunately, the one thing that they are guaranteed to find out, is that this country doesn't take care of it's Veterans (or in a different matter, it's elderly) the way it should :frown1:

None of them started the war. More than likely, some didn't even want to be over there. However, they fulfilled their duty and served this country as instructed. They need to be assisted as much as possible when they need it.

#11 Countryguy63, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  12. sargon20

Gold Member

like the former draft dodging commander-in-chief that who sat out the Vietnam MIA in the Alabama National Guard? :rolleyes: Ohhh and the former VP too. It must have been very hard for both of them to send other people's children to fight and die. So hard.

13. maxcok

Gold Member

Maybe I should have included this in my "Mission Accomplished" slideshow. Or this. Or this. Or this. :smile:

14. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    yeah, well, the article quoted says, 'This admirable American effort has now given Iraqis the opportunity to govern themselves democratically. '

Which sums up what the piece says has been achieved. Nothing more. No one knows if the Iraquis want that opportunity or will go back to fighting until the last man standing takes the crown once the US troops go home. Im sure the US could maintain the staus quo by maintaining its troops in Iraq. But it isnt wiling/able to do that. The result will depend on whether the example set by the us has convinced Iraqis they want to have a democracy and give up their traditional loyalties (which havnt disappeared, merely been suppressed).

15. sargon20

Gold Member

Yep all of the above. All the architects of the war have never been in a war. And when they were called to war they used their wealth and power to avoid the 'call of duty'.

Draft saved Draft deleted