Videoproof Swimsuit?!

Chicago_Swimmer

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I ordered a couple of Arena's "Nux" swimsuits from Japan (via eBay) and received them a few days ago. The tags on the swimsuits indicate (as a selling point) that the swimsuit is videoproof. To quote the tag:

"VIDEOPROOF - A new material which prevents the penetration of photography by the infrared video camera."

I had never heard of this before. Is there there some tendency in east asia to use an infrared video camera on people wearing swimsuits?! At least I have nothing to worry about with my Videoproof swimsuit!

Has anyone else heard of people using infrared cameras on people wearing swimsuits? Bizarrrrre!

Robert

Chicago_Swimmer

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, as much as you show in your lycra photos, I don't think they need cams to get a good idea. :wink:

Perhaps you are right, but it still requires some imagination. I've not even seen what an infrared image of someone in their swimsuit would look like. I wonder if one actually looks naked!?

musclebare9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I work with an infrared camera where I am employed. Notice that I said I work with one, I don't own one. I doubt that the average aisan does either. A cheap infrared camera costs at least $10K and some costs as much as $80K. They are typically used for security purposes. An infrared camera sees heat variations. So yes, they can basically see through clothing. Check out flir.com

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The tag on the swimsuit is most likely referring to the infamous Sony Nightshot Camcorder scandal. Some fairly inexpensive Sony Camcorders (some still cameras, too) have a feature called Nightshot, which places the camera in a near-IR mode. Unlike expensive military IR cameras, this does not register body heat, but works with an LED infrared illuminator on the camera, like many small security cameras. In the Nightshot mode, the camera produces a black-and-white image with a green tint.

In early versions of the camera (produced before August 12, 1998), the Nightshot mode could be enabled under daylight conditions. This had the effect of making sheer clothing appear much more transparent, revealing whatever was beneath. This is because the longer-wavelength IR light is not scattered as much by the sheer material as visible wavelengths. This characteristic of the camera resulted in complaints to Sony by people who felt violated or exploited after being taped in this mode. As a result, Sony changed the camera software so the Nightshot mode could not be enabled during daytime shooting.

However, there are various companies which will modify newer Nightshot cameras to restore daylight operation and therefore the ability to better see through sheer clothing. In other cases, an external filter is used on an unmodied camera to partly restore the mode. More techincal information on the Sony Nightshot and modifications can be found here:

Sony NightShot

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You have to have special equipment, some of which has been taken off the market by certain camera makers when they found out people were using this equipment toward unsavory ends. Basically, certain frequencies of light that are not within the visible spectrum can penetrate certain types of fabrics that visible light cannot. This principle is used to make those bathing suits that allow you to get tan even whilst covering up your naughty bits. Visible light bounces off the material, making it appear opaque to the human eye, while UV light, which is what tans your skin, is able to pass through it because of its different wavelength. Some UV light passes through most bathing suit material, as a matter of fact.

Enter the 0 LUX camera... originally intended to make it so people could film in night-time conditions with no visible light (0 Lux) Even when there is no visible light, there is still oft times light that the human eye cannot see, making night-vision goggles and zero lux cameras possible. The trick came when people took these cameras out during the day. Normally, the amount of light during the day would make it impossible to use them on a 0 lux setting, but by attaching a special UV light filter to the lens to filter out the frequencies of visible light, you can "see" the UV light that is permeating the swimsuits and bouncing off these people's skin, rendering their bathing suits transparent.

When first introduced, this technology was billed as something akin to James Bond's xray glasses that would magically make certain materials disappear. In reality, it doesn't really work that well. Though some people still of course get off on it, the affect of looking through one of these cameras is similar to that night-time footage we always get from Iraq, everything is green and the picture is usually low quality. Further, while those special suntan bathing suits are nearly completely transparent, other materials are not completely, and you can still see the outline of them. The naked body beneath the clothes is usually ill-defined. Seems like it would be far easier just to visit a nude beach or something.

But, maybe it's a bigger problem in Japan, as I have noticed most of the pictures I've seen of the cameras actually in use in public settings come from public Japanese swimming pools. Still.... if someone is going to THAT much trouble just to see the outline of the crack of ass in shades of green... it seems almost cruel to foil their plans.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The tag on the swimsuit is most likely referring to the infamous Sony Nightshot Camcorder scandal. Some fairly inexpensive Sony Camcorders (some still cameras, too) have a feature called Nightshot, which places the camera in a near-IR mode. Unlike expensive military IR cameras, this does not register body heat, but works with an LED infrared illuminator on the camera, like many small security cameras. In the Nightshot mode, the camera produces a black-and-white image with a green tint.

In early versions of the camera (produced before August 12, 1998), the Nightshot mode could be enabled under daylight conditions. This had the effect of making sheer clothing appear much more transparent, revealing whatever was beneath. This is because the longer-wavelength IR light is not scattered as much by the sheer material as visible wavelengths. This characteristic of the camera resulted in complaints to Sony by people who felt violated or exploited after being taped in this mode. As a result, Sony changed the camera software so the Nightshot mode could not be enabled during daytime shooting.

However, there are various companies which will modify newer Nightshot cameras to restore daylight operation and therefore the ability to better see through sheer clothing. In other cases, an external filter is used on an unmodied camera to partly restore the mode. More techincal information on the Sony Nightshot and modifications can be found here:

Sony NightShot

yeah he said it better than me, and maybe it was IR and not UV.

Chicago_Swimmer

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

In early versions of the camera, the Nightshot mode could be enabled under daylight conditions. This had the effect of making sheer clothing appear much more transparent, revealing whatever was beneath. This is because the longer-wavelength IR light is not scattered as much by the sheer material as visible wavelengths. This characteristic of the camera resulted in complaints to Sony by people who felt violated or exploited after being taped in this mode. As a result, Sony changed the camera software so the Nightshot mode could not be enabled during daytime shooting.

Sony NightShot

Thanks Ericbear! That definitively answers my question. If I'm wearing one of my other swimsuits, which does not have this special videoproof liner, and I see someone with a videocamera I'm now going to feel a little exposed.

It makes me think of these guys I would see in the stands at swim meets sitting by themselves watching the swimmers through their video camera. I assumed they were videoing their spouse or girlfriend, but noticed they also videotaped other people as well (including me!). Now I wonder if they were playing superman with their cameras.

If you are curious, here is the link to the Arena swimsuits I bought. You'll notice it has the "Videoproof" label by it as a selling point. http://www.arena-jp.com/products/compe/arn7016.html#

Robert

Chicago_Swimmer

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have to have special equipment, some of which has been taken off the market by certain camera makers when they found out people were using this equipment toward unsavory ends. Basically, certain frequencies of light that are not within the visible spectrum can penetrate certain types of fabrics that visible light cannot. This principle is used to make those bathing suits that allow you to get tan even whilst covering up your naughty bits. Visible light bounces off the material, making it appear opaque to the human eye, while UV light, which is what tans your skin, is able to pass through it because of its different wavelength. Some UV light passes through most bathing suit material, as a matter of fact.

Enter the 0 LUX camera... originally intended to make it so people could film in night-time conditions with no visible light (0 Lux) Even when there is no visible light, there is still oft times light that the human eye cannot see, making night-vision goggles and zero lux cameras possible. The trick came when people took these cameras out during the day. Normally, the amount of light during the day would make it impossible to use them on a 0 lux setting, but by attaching a special UV light filter to the lens to filter out the frequencies of visible light, you can "see" the UV light that is permeating the swimsuits and bouncing off these people's skin, rendering their bathing suits transparent.

When first introduced, this technology was billed as something akin to James Bond's xray glasses that would magically make certain materials disappear. In reality, it doesn't really work that well. Though some people still of course get off on it, the affect of looking through one of these cameras is similar to that night-time footage we always get from Iraq, everything is green and the picture is usually low quality. Further, while those special suntan bathing suits are nearly completely transparent, other materials are not completely, and you can still see the outline of them. The naked body beneath the clothes is usually ill-defined. Seems like it would be far easier just to visit a nude beach or something.

But, maybe it's a bigger problem in Japan, as I have noticed most of the pictures I've seen of the cameras actually in use in public settings come from public Japanese swimming pools. Still.... if someone is going to THAT much trouble just to see the outline of the crack of ass in shades of green... it seems almost cruel to foil their plans.

You've actually seen some infrared photos from pools in Japan? I feel so naive. I had no idea.

Robert

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You've actually seen some infrared photos from pools in Japan? I feel so naive. I had no idea.

Robert

yeah, quite a few of them actually. I did a quick half-assed search to see if I could come up with a link, but found none. They're out there, though.

Chicago_Swimmer

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jeez! I have a couple Chinese swimsuits, Yingfa, that don't even have liners.

Obviously, these cameras have been around for some time. I wonder why neither Speedo or TYR make videoproof liners in their swimsuits?

...and to think I felt a little bashful wearing a tight racing swimsuit. In fact, it probably makes no difference how tight or small the swimsuit is. I'm naked to these guys in the stands with their cameras.

Robert

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
While it seems that most average people can't afford to do all this, and that some of the necessary equipment has been pulled off the market, I still hate that it is even possible, however unlikely, for anyone to be able to 'see' through clothing! It's like those airport screening machines. Those just freak me out, and I'm glad that our airport doesn't have one!:eek:

musclebare9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I purchased the infrared camera for our company, there was a big presentation by the manufacturer. He said that the Chinese government had been using the cameras during the SAARS epidemic. The cameras detect heat differences down to very extreme levels and the output graphics can be adjusted greatly. The Chinese placed cameras on street corners and watched the crowds as people passed by. If a person with an elevated body temperature passed the camera, they would appear a different color than those who were healthy. That person would be pulled aside and tested for SAARS. I haven't been to any Asian countries lately so I am unaware of the actual context. It sounds like it may be more of the cheaper camera being used for quick thrills but it could be more of a situation like I mentioned above.

jordanj

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does this mean that the x-ray specs I ordered from Mad Magazine won't work when I look at someone in those swimsuits then?:biggrin1: