View of Men Living At Home w/ Parent(s)

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I find it embarassing to think of male or female living on their parents so they can:

1) Drive a nicer car than most could afford

2) Afford all the fun stuff in life they want to do without the requirement to pay any bills.

3) Take advantage of their parents- especially their moms affection for them by putting up with them being grown little boys in the house.

a) washing their laundry and folding it and putting it away for their boys.
b) not requiring them to do anything around the house that contributes to the household.
c) be the person that makes their father want to leave the house because his wife is so wrapped up in their sons shit all the time.
d) teaching their son that all women are going to pick up your shit stained underwear and cum rags on the floor.
e) Allow their boy to piss all over the toilet and never have to clean up after himself.
f) Pack his lunch for work.

4) People who have this entitlement attitude that their parents "OWE" them a living for however many years after 18 years old.

How does any of this behavior (Above) from parents/children long term allow for one to be able to sustain a decent relationship one day? Often times this is partially why the parents can't cope with not having the adult children around and the adult children cant cope without their parents around all the time.

Rarely do i see a male who is intimidated by his father in law doing every little thing for his own wife. Things he could do or would do for her. I see this constantly with mothers in law with their sons. Mothers rarely act this way towards their daughters. Mothers tend to be toughter with their daughters and expect more out of them when they leave the house than they expect with their sons.

I've seen this in many families. Mothers can be quite bitchy when they feel their turf with their little boy has been stepped on by another woman. Often you will see the son in the middle not knowing what to do about it because he doesnt want to make his mommy mad by setting boundaries. Living with her until you get married generally makes this problem much worse.

Living with your mom in this day and age in America atleast is not sexy. Maybe the newer generations don't care because they've never been taught how to do for themselves like previous generations had to.

If you *have* to live with your parents because you can't make a living for yourself or anyone else, maybe you shouldnt be dating in the hopes for a serious co-habitating relationship if you dont want people to think it looks silly.

I've been on my own since i was 18 and my husband was 19 supporting us on a very low wage at the time. Life has never been easy. Life is life. I wouldnt have married him if it meant we had to move in with his mom.

Watch the movie Step-Brothers if you want to see how many stereotypes people think about grown men living with their parents to be lazy. Maybe you dont think its any one elses business, but when so many of you drive around with your Honda Accords constantly getting new stereos, ground effects and specialty paint jobs. Or playing World of Warcraft all day when you arent jacking off in your childhood bedroom....well its going to invite ridicule.

Also, if you want to be a big boy or big girl, move out on your own or for christ's sake use some birth control and stop making your parents support your kids too.
This is an ignorant post. I moved back home after my parents got a divorce. If I had not my mother would have lost her house. I pay the mortgage and taxes.

Maybe you need to stop being so narrow minded and lose your belief in stereotypes.

Wrist_thick10

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think there is anything wrong with a man living with his parents, but it depends on how old he is and the reason for being there. If he is there to help out his elderly parents, then that's great. But if he's in his thirty's for forty's and doesn't have a job, but has always lived with them....then he might be a looser. But no matter what a man's situation is, he should at some point experience living on his own....alone. Too many men go straight from mama's house, to their wive's house and don't know what it's like to take care of themselves. No woman wants a mama's boy.

D_Lachtmadder Longhorne

Account Disabled
Media
Because most women still want an independent bread winner or something approaching that ideal whether or not they need your money. So living with the parents isn't attractive on any level for either gender. Dating can lead to meeting the parents someday, not because you live there and they meet on your first 'take her home' session. It's not attractive to use your parents so that you can save some cash either. My take on why you are ok with women living at home is because you want to be in the same situation therefore project understanding their situation as if it is your own.

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I live at home, I'm 21.
So does my brother at 25...and my "adopted" brother at 24 (who was recently laid off, but still gives my mother part of his unemployment checks for rent)...

If we did not, my mother would lose the house.
We each give her literally as much as we can out of our paychecks each week so that she can keep the house she loves. WE are the ones to always bring up that some day, we are going to leave. (Me mainly, though...she keeps bringing it up that she'd knew I'd be the first to go.)

She's too proud to leave our house. It's where she raised me, my brother, and a LOT of our friends who are now apart of our family practically. It's the place she fought to keep her children in the same school district so her kids didn't have to move to a new school while her divorce was going on, and her entire world was being torn from her. I can't blame her for wanting to stay here. This is the only thing left that is HERS.

So we help with that as much as we can. We still live paycheck to paycheck some weeks. There are always things going wrong, cars needing to be fixed, the house falling apart because it's old, someone getting sick, losing my medical benefits, accidents, etc...but that's life. I've always payed for everything I've ever had. Once I turned 16, and got my first job, I was paying for my own food and my own clothes. (Also, hand-me-downs became a happy and appreciated thing REALLY quickly. Such as my car, which was my grandfather's, and all the furniture I've ever had.)

To save money, I recently quit smoking. I stopped going out, and I stopped buying beer. I stopped eating out. Most kids at 21 would not do that. Most kids at 21 would be out almost every single night blowing their entire paycheck at the bar. I only go to the bar now if I have five extra dollars at the end of the week for myself, and even if I do, sometimes I don't even spend it because I know I need to save in case of emergencies.

My brother is the type of MAN (yes, he is a MAN) that makes sure my mother has the bills covered when their due, and if he doesn't, he lays out extra. He's the type of MAN that wakes up early when it snows, shovels, and cleans off ALL of our cars (yes, including mine). He's the type of MAN who pays for absolutely everything he has ever wanted or needed. He pays for his bills, and helps my mother with hers if she needs it. If someone were to turn my brother away because he lived with his family still at home, I'd literally laugh in their face. There's plenty of 30+, 40+ "men" out there who would not do half the shit my brother does, and really are just grown boys. He doesn't need to be asked to do these things, and he would probably be a lot happier living on his own or with one of his best friends in a house, but he doesn't. Because he is a man, and that's how a man takes care of his family.

So excuse us for living at home, but at least we know responsibility, and we're not mooching off of our mother. We do what we need to, and we take care of our shit.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There seems to be a trend of single guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s moving back home. I know of two of my college friends who are single and live at home, and one of my college roomates just moved back in with his parents after a divorce.

I think two big reasons are that the economy sucks right now, and who wants to go way into debt to buy a friggen house if you might lose your job? Also, the American real estate market has since the 70s become geared toward dual income families which along with real estate speculation has inflated home prices to the point where it is hard to buy a nice house on one salary anymore.

I made a really good salary before I got laid off from the engineering firm where I worked but it would have taken damn near everthing I earned to buy a nice home in an upper middle class neighborhood on my own because all of the new homes being built around here these days are HUGE and start at about a half million dollars.

Instead, I moved in with my grandmother because she owned 10 acre $2 million waterfront estate in a very, very, wealthy neighborhood and needed someone to stay there and take care of the place after my grandad passed away. It was getting to the point where she was either going to have to hire someone to stay there and take care of the place, or she was going to have to go to an assisted living facility and neither option is cheap! So I she made a deal with me that I could live here rent free in exchange for managing the estate.

I have been living here for 8 years, and taking care of the estate in addition to working full time at an enginneerign firm. I currently have no debt, and have banked a quarter of a million dollars that I saved from not paying a mortgage or rent, utilities, insurance, etc. so when business slowed down due to the recession and my company told me I was being laid off it was not the end of the world.

Sure I am drawing unemployment, but I am just looking at the layoff as an opportunity to do some traveling and fun stuff that I didn't have any time to do while working instead of worring about how I am going to make ends meet!

Last edited:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have been living here for 8 years, have no debt, and have banked a quarter of a million dollars that I had saved from not paying rent, utilities, etc.

so does the IRS treat the value of the rent you didn't pay over the last 8 years as a "gift" from your grandmother (providing it's less than the allowable exclusion) or is your room and board considered compensation for the maintenance you do on her place, and is therefore taxable?

does she 1099 u?

Last edited:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This is an ignorant post. I moved back home after my parents got a divorce. If I had not my mother would have lost her house. I pay the mortgage and taxes.

Maybe you need to stop being so narrow minded and lose your belief in stereotypes.

I never ONCE spoke of people who move back in and pay their parents mortgage. My narrow minded stereotypes are based on many many people i know. So, read it again or stuff it up your ass since you can't decipher YOUR situatin from the assholish parent-moochers in my post.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
There seems to be a trend of single guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s moving back home. I know of two of my college friends who are single and live at home, and one of my college roomates just moved back in with his parents after a divorce.

I think two big reasons are that the economy sucks right now, and who wants to go way into debt to buy a friggen house if you might lose your job? Also, the American real estate market has since the 70s become geared toward dual income families which along with real estate speculation has inflated home prices to the point where it is hard to buy a nice house on one salary anymore.

I made a really good salary before I got laid off from the engineering firm where I worked but it would have taken damn near everthing I earned to buy a nice home in an upper middle class neighborhood on my own because all of the new homes being built around here these days are HUGE and start at about a half million dollars.

Instead, I moved in with my grandmother because she owned 10 acre $2 million waterfront estate in a very, very, wealthy neighborhood and needed someone to stay there and take care of the place after my grandad passed away. It was getting to the point where she was either going to have to hire someone to stay there and take care of the place, or she was going to have to go to an assisted living facility and neither option is cheap! So I she made a deal with me that I could live here rent free in exchange for managing the estate.

I have been living here for 8 years, and taking care of the estate in addition to working full time at an enginneerign firm. I currently have no debt, and have banked a quarter of a million dollars that I saved from not paying a mortgage or rent, utilities, insurance, etc. so when business slowed down due to the recession and my company told me I was being laid off it was not the end of the world.

Sure I am drawing unemployment, but I am just looking at the layoff as an opportunity to do some traveling and fun stuff that I didn't have any time to do while working instead of worring about how I am going to make ends meet!

Doesn't look like the economy is sucking for you right now. Banking a quarter mil while drawing unemployment and having no bills. She must be proud....her grandson traveling about all at the same time.

So what would you and your single friends have done in 1929 when you didnt have a choice but to try to make things work without grammy helping you. You probably would be in a soup line trying to take care of her right now.

If my ancestors made it without needing to live in their childhood bedrooms at 30+, then most people can they just want to continue to drive their BMW, have their shopping and traveling and their leisure while they let someone else pay the bills and not have privacy to walk from the hall bathroom to the laundry room naked.

Last edited by a moderator:

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yes, i agree with praying actually.

it fucking pisses me off because the brats out there mooching and driving around daddy's brand new gift give people like me bad names. it's fucking annoying. you have no idea how many times it's ASSUMED that because i'm 21 and living at home i'm taken care of by my parents. it's even more annoying that they think it's daddy, and me and my father don't even have contact any longer...

spoiled assholes.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This entire thread is about guys who are offended that it might appear not so sexy to women that they live with their Mom. I dont live with my mom and dad, i would do anything possible to not have to live with them. I would pick up cans and sell them by the pound before i'd move in to take advantage of them so i could have it easier.

I guess my parents taught me better than that. And i've managed to make it work for 11 years on my own since i turned 18. So i have reasons to be judgemental about it. I dont know why people wouldnt bust their ass a little harder for their own privacy.

I guess i value strutting around naked while im getting ready or whatever. I dont want to share my home with anyone else. There is nothing appealing about living with another family or other family members or friends.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There seems to be a trend of single guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s moving back home.

Yup, I read an article a couple weeks back, it is not just anecdotal, there has been a massive increase of people moving back in with their parents... boomerang kids, IIRC:

Boomerang kids: recession sends more young adults back home / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

God my brain is fucking good. :D
I would pick up cans and sell them by the pound before i'd move in to take advantage of them so i could have it easier.

Sure you would.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Yup, I read an article a couple weeks back, it is not just anecdotal, there has been a massive increase of people moving back in with their parents... boomerang kids, IIRC:

Boomerang kids: recession sends more young adults back home / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

God my brain is fucking good. :D

Sure you would.

Times have been tough since i was 18, i never considered moving in with them. I just found other ways to make ends meet.

I practice what i preach.

Brensta

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
so does the IRS treat the value of the rent you didn't pay over the last 8 years as a "gift" from your grandmother (providing it's less than the allowable exclusion) or is your room and board considered compensation for the maintenance you do on her place, and is therefore taxable?

does she 1099 u?

You sound like an accountant Thad...
Welcome to the brotherhood

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You sound like an accountant Thad...
Welcome to the brotherhood

oh i'm not an accountant, i dont' have the brain for it, (can i still go through the hazing rituals for an honorary brotherhood membership?) i do have a grasp of the basics, and that makes it easier to make small talk when i'm hitting on accountants:biggrin1:.

the thing is: I"m not sure how it is in AUS, but taxes are so complicated here in the US that most people just toss it over to their accountants or rely on software to do it for them. I like to be more hands on, and if you don't understand how the rules work, how can you develop a strategy to minimize your liability?

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If my son 1099'd me I would lose my disability payments. Every family situation is different.

Mantis, I would love to walk around naked more than I do, and there have been threads about such issues in different sorts of family settings over in Relationships. However I do what is best for my children and their socializing before I please my own whims in every area. I am glad that you have made it a must in your life to eschew clothing in private. For me the times I can be nude are less frequent but they are relished.

Our taxes are already so complex that H&R Block charged us more than the withholding just to file for it. I have to do them myself to save money and often the return is re-done by IRS.

Mantis, if something happened that forced you and your parents under one roof, illness or calamity, could you stand one another?

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

does she 1099 u?

No, she does not 1099 me, and the IRS does not know anything about the arrangement because there is nothing written down on paper. As far as the IRS knows I am just a long term house guest.

Last edited:

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So what would you and your single friends have done in 1929 when you didnt have a choice but to try to make things work without grammy helping you. You probably would be in a soup line trying to take care of her right now.

The exact same thing my grandaddy, and my great uncle did back in 1929...they both lost their jobs in the city, and all the money they had when the bank failed so they both moved back to the farm and lived in the big old farm house with my great grandparents. On the farm they had a HUGE vegetable garden, a bunch of chickens, a milk cow, raised beef cattle, raised hogs, and cured their own hams and bacon.

They didn't have much money but they didn't need much either because they didn't have many bills because there was no phone, no electricity, no water and sewer either, they had an outhouse! If they couldn't afford to buy gas for the Model T Ford they just hitched up the horse to an old buggy they still had.

They both stayed there until 1936 when the economy started improving and my grandad got a job at a bank, and my great uncle got a job working at a shipyard that was building the Battleship USS Indiana, and ocean liner SS America.

Last edited:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No, she does not 1099 me, and the IRS does not know anything about the arrangement because there is nothing written down on paper. As far as the IRS knows I am just a long term house guest.

i think 8 yrs makes you a statutory tenant, qualified dependent, or an incredible parasite .....:eek:

have your unemployment bene's been extended by my tax dollars masquerading as stimulus money yet?

Last edited:

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
oh i'm not an accountant, i dont' have the brain for it, (can i still go through the hazing rituals for an honorary brotherhood membership?) i do have a grasp of the basics, and that makes it easier to make small talk when i'm hitting on accountants:biggrin1:.

the thing is: I"m not sure how it is in AUS, but taxes are so complicated here in the US that most people just toss it over to their accountants or rely on software to do it for them. I like to be more hands on, and if you don't understand how the rules work, how can you develop a strategy to minimize your liability?

The US tax code is so damn complicated that even the IRS can't figure it out. The best policy is that if there is ANY question about whether you owe taxes DO NOT pay it because once the IRS gets the money they WILL NOT give it back. Chances are that if you don't pay it the IRS won't figure out you owed it anyway...if they do, well you can agree to pay it then.

My sister was a corporate tax accountant and she spent years trying to get back an extra $17 million that the IRS told her company they owed after they sold one of their sudsidiaries. Her company payed it and then figured out that they really did not owe it, and the IRS even acknowledged that they did not owe it but the IRS still refused to give the money back to the company. When my sister left, the company was still fighting the IRS in court. If and when they get the money back the legal fees will probably have eaten up most of it!