Vinyl (LPs)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dannyrankin, May 31, 2010.

1. dannyrankin

dannyrankin New Member

Who still buys or collects vinyl? I'm a bit of a vinyl junkie; I've never really liked CDs. Still, nothing beats the good ol' wax.

2. warmandsoapy

warmandsoapy Member

Vinyl is IT! It will make a great comeback. Don't miss the "new" 45RPM LP's. Supreme sound.

3. dannyrankin

dannyrankin New Member

What do you mean, the new 45s? You mean like 180g pressings?

4. warmandsoapy

warmandsoapy Member

5. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps we should go back to Edison's wax cylinders and acoustical phonographs with morning glory horns. We don't need electronic amplification. Or, if we really want electronic amplification, it should be done with vacuum tubes. My old Dynaco Stereo 70 used push-pull EL 34s for the output stages. However, it would be very difficult to get replacements for the 7199 high mu pentode / triode phase splitter.

#5 FRE, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. dannyrankin

dannyrankin New Member

haha, yes

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm a vinyl guy here. I have a big azz 50's floor model record player w/a short wave radio and a bar built into it. I still kill myself tho that I didn't get Morrissey's last lp on vinyl. Yes he's been releasing vinyl! I love my lps.

8. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    I still have all my vinyl albums (about 300). My CD player expired a few weeks ago, so I got my old turntable out of the attic. I had to buy a new drive belt from eBay but now it is working perfectly and I've been playing old albums which I've not listened to for 20 years. Over the years, I have re-bought many of my favourite old albums on CD but there are many which I haven't been able to find on CD and others which I wouldn't bother to buy on CD but I would still like to hear on vinyl now and again. Even if I could replace all my vinyl with CD, it would break my heart to throw away any of my vinyl albums. I like to look at the 12" cover art and read the lyric sheets, without squinting. Other little quirks too, like remarks the engineer carved into the pressing between the inner track and the label. They have a great sentimental value for me, which I've never really had with CDs. I also have about 500 CDs and I don't have an MP3 player. I don't have any objection to listening to MP3s and I can appreciate the convenience of having your entire music collection in your pocket but if you want to look at the album art or lyrics, they're going to be on a tiny screen on the device, or you've got to look at it on your PC. It's just not the same as having the album in your hand to feel and look at.

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
  10. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm one of these people who loves both. I always loved, and sorely miss, vinyl LP. The 12" covers. Gatefolds. Bonus posters. Lyrics, liner notes, etc. Loved the feel and (in the case of coloured vinyl or pic-discs) look of a record.
    Initially in '83, I was an immediate CD convert. The lack of vinyl snap, crackle, and pop (or cassette hiss) + the amazing dynamic range & 80 min. play time sold me right from the get-go.
    Then something happened. We won't get into the music industry greed: CD prices...MP3...and everything else that killed music here. We'll just discuss the product. The music industry seemed to forget we had volume controls on our stereo systems and music players if we wanted to hear things louder. ...But they still started this ghastly trend of maximizing, limiting, and compressing all the dynamic range out of the music. It's truly made me re-appreciate my old vinyl.
    I sold most of my 8-track cartridge tapes and about half of my LP's when CD's first came out. I'm just glad I kept what I kept.

11. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    And your equipment has vacuum tubes. I've had considerable vacuum tube experience and have even built vacuum tube circuits. Now there many people who don't even know what vacuum tubes are!!

Unfortunately, when I moved to Fiji, I sold all my vinyl records. I say unfortunately because now that I am back in the U.S., I have not been able to find replacements for a few of the vinyl records; they have not been re-issued on CDs.

12. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

Yup vacuum tubes. Luckily this set has alot of inputs so I can even hook a cd player up to it!

Attached Files:

13. anoushka

anoushka Member

Albums:
    I haven't bought any vinyl for a while, but I have around 2500 pieces of 12" vinyl (~300 albums and ~2200 12" singles/eps).

14. dannyrankin

dannyrankin New Member

It's good to hear this kind of stuff from all of you.

Some questions:
    Does a direct drive turntable skip less often (on an old, beat-up record) than a belt drive?
    And it seems like an old record will more likely skip while the volume is loud. Is this simply because of the vibrations from the speakers? That might seem like an obvious answer... I'm just noticing that my needle will get stuck at different parts randomly. These are only on original pressings from the early '70s, mind you, heh.
    Also, about how long do you think a 180g LP would stay in great condition?

Thank you.

15. luvmycock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i like vinyls

16. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I still play vinyl... and you haven't lived until you hear a 4-channel/quadraphonic analog "record".

a friend is a recording/mastering engineer who started in the business in the mid 1960s and worked with a number of classic "San Francisco sound" artists and bands. I've learned a lot from him about what makes for excellence. a lot of music is ruined by compression, double-tracking, and all kinds of other effects.

MP3 may be unbelievably popular but listening to music which has undergone compression is like hearing fingers scratching a chalkboard. It seriously affects the listening quality.

BTW, my first album was "Million $$$ Worth of Twang" by Duane Eddy. still have it...

17. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I have a rather extensive vinyl collection in my attic, sadly at present I have no record player on which to play them. I have all sorts of stuff ranging from musicals ("no shit" you're thinking) to The Beatles original releases. When I was growing up CD players were the thing to have, but my family were very much vinyl-kinda-people (ie were cheap skates and wouldnt buy a CD player).

18. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    It's interesting that the slide-rule dial on the tuner is backwards.

When I was a kid, my parents had a lot of 78 rpm records; the turntable on their Magnavox audio system (Victrola?) would play nothing else. The amplifier had a pair of 6V6 tubes in push-pull for the output, and it had an electrodynamic speaker. I don't know what became of it. It would now have some value as an antique.

19. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Whether it's direct drive or belt drive should make no difference on the frequency of skipping. Actually, I doubt that you mean direct drive. Probably you mean rim drive, which was more common than belt drive anyway. With rim drive, there was a rubber-covered wheel between the motor shaft and the rim of the turntable. At one time, I had a belt drive AR turntable.

Having the speakers in the same cabinet with the turntable was not the best idea. Although it didn't necessarily cause skipping, there could be acoustic feedback between the speakers and the pick-up cartridge; that could distort the sound or cause frequency non-linearity. That effect could be greatly reduced by having the turntable assembly mounted on springs, which was often done.

Having the speakers in the same cabinet with the tubes could sometimes cause problems too because sometimes tubes are microphonic and effected by vibrations from the speakers.

20. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I still have my collection of over 600 LPs and my 1979 Rega Planar turntable. At one time I had it hooked up to a Fischer 800 amp and Bose 900 speakers and that was a sweet system. Best I ever owned.

I agree the sound of vinyl is way more interesting and natural. Even with the popping and scratchs and other imperfections, it just has a fuller, richer and more human sound.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near the system and have to make do with mp3s and this so called 'home theater' system made by Sony. I'm looking forward getting home this year and maybe scrounging up a tube player and introducing some kids to vinyl.

Draft saved Draft deleted