Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey All I have posted a similar Thread month ago but It's still good.
I have Play LP´s along time and have a All Tube Preamp and Riaa (See pic.)
I am what you call a Audio Nerd and have spent all My money on Audio equipment an Will show some of if off here :smile:
I Love the Sound and Smoothness of the sound, and if you have a really good
Record player, Pick-Up and a STABLE Shelf or place to put it, you will not get as much cracks and pops and you can play as Loud as you want to.

Preamp & RIAA
Preamp%26RIAA.JPG

Record Player
Record_player.jpg

Pick-up
Pick-up.JPG

Power Amp
Amp.JPG

Speaker
Speaker.JPG

-- Duplo

Reactions: deleted15807

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I still have my collection of over 600 LPs and my 1979 Rega Planar turntable. At one time I had it hooked up to a Fischer 800 amp and Bose 900 speakers and that was a sweet system. Best I ever owned.

I agree the sound of vinyl is way more interesting and natural. Even with the popping and scratchs and other imperfections, it just has a fuller, richer and more human sound.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near the system and have to make do with mp3s and this so called 'home theater' system made by Sony. I'm looking forward getting home this year and maybe scrounging up a tube player and introducing some kids to vinyl.

You can still buy vacuum tube amplifiers; they are still being made. There is what amounts to a vacuum tube cult.

Actually, it is impossible to hear the difference between a high quality vacuum tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier, except when the amplifier is over-driven. When over-driven, a vacuum tube amplifier distorts less than a solid state amplifier because the clipping with a vacuum tube amplifier is less sharp. However, a high-powered amplifier would rarely be over-driven.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey All I have posted a similar Thread month ago but It's still good.
I have Play LP´s along time and have a All Tube Preamp and Riaa (See pic.)
I am what you call a Audio Nerd and have spent all My money on Audio equipment an Will show some of if off here :smile:
I Love the Sound and Smoothness of the sound, and if you have a really good
Record player, Pick-Up and a STABLE Shelf or place to put it, you will not get as much cracks and pops and you can play as Loud as you want to.

Preamp & RIAA
Preamp%26RIAA.JPG

Record Player
Record_player.jpg

Pick-up
Pick-up.JPG

Power Amp
Amp.JPG

Speaker
Speaker.JPG

-- Duplo

At one time, I had a Dynakit stereo 70 amplifier and its companion pre-amplifier. When I went solid state, I gave them to my sister. Now my brother has the power amplifier, but I don't know what has become of the preamplifier. The power amplifier has not been powered up for years and it would now be unwise to do so without first checking out the electrolytic capacitors; they probably need replacement. Each channel uses a 7199 pentode / triode for amplification and phase splitting, but those are practically impossible to get. Someone makes a PC board to replace the original one, and that uses tubes which are more readily available. The EL34s are still available, but I'm not certain that they are still available as matched pairs.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's interesting that the slide-rule dial on the tuner is backwards.

When I was a kid, my parents had a lot of 78 rpm records; the turntable on their Magnavox audio system (Victrola?) would play nothing else. The amplifier had a pair of 6V6 tubes in push-pull for the output, and it had an electrodynamic speaker. I don't know what became of it. It would now have some value as an antique.

The what is backwards? Did the pic get posted backwards? Don't think so...lol

duplo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
At one time, I had a Dynakit stereo 70 amplifier and its companion pre-amplifier. When I went solid state, I gave them to my sister. Now my brother has the power amplifier, but I don't know what has become of the preamplifier. The power amplifier has not been powered up for years and it would now be unwise to do so without first checking out the electrolytic capacitors; they probably need replacement. Each channel uses a 7199 pentode / triode for amplification and phase splitting, but those are practically impossible to get. Someone makes a PC board to replace the original one, and that uses tubes which are more readily available. The EL34s are still available, but I'm not certain that they are still available as matched pairs.

7199 Tube Types There you go 7199 Tubes and for EL34 in pairs Vacuum tubes JJ Tubes - sockets, capacitors, eshop: Power tubes - E34L - 6CA7 JJ tubes Just drop down were it says Unhatched

Even better parts for Dynakit ST-70 http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/tubes.aspx
-- Duplo

Last edited:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The what is backwards? Did the pic get posted backwards? Don't think so...lol

What I mean is that the lower numbers are normally on the left. In the pics, the lower numbers are on the right. No, you didn't get the pic backwards; the dial just differs from the usual practice.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
7199 Tube Types There you go 7199 Tubes and for EL34 in pairs Vacuum tubes JJ Tubes - sockets, capacitors, eshop: Power tubes - E34L - 6CA7 JJ tubes Just drop down were it says Unhatched

Even better parts for Dynakit ST-70 DYNAKITPARTS.com
-- Duplo

I've been thinking about possibly building a more modestly powered amplifier with 6V6 output tubes for nostalgic reasons. Perhaps sometime when I feel free to spend more money I'll by the necessary instruments to make it possible to do a good job of it.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
old vinyl can be restored considerably with the right cleaner. I've used the record cleaner kit sold on eBay by loudorx. it was originally developed for cleaning early 4-channel quad records which tended to quickly clog the grooves.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've read that using a stylus of a size that doesn't contact the damaged portion of the grooves also helps. Probably it would be best to transfer the record to a more durable medium to preserve the contents.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Forgive me but in one of my moves I threw all my vinyl away.:frown1:

I kick myself sometimes over it. WTF was I thinking...:confused:

I don't know how old you are, but I think lots of people who were adults in the late 80's and 90's did this. I know a couple of people who did because they just found CD's to be more practical and thought LP's to be obsolete.

I wonder how many rarities has been lost like that (even though most collectors know what their records are worth, obscure things show up in obscure places). Hopefully you didn't throw them in the garbage?

I am not old enough to really have experienced the change in popularity from vinyl to cd's. When I started collecting music in the late 90's, vinyl was beginning to make a comeback (especially in the underground, where it always existed), but many things on larger labels were still released on CD exclusively, which was a real bitch. I have paid far too high prices for rare vinyls that have been re-issued after the comeback of LP's. Not that I regret it, though. And I am more than happy that vinyl records are back full fuckin' force.

patrick222

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Been there done that with the vinyl thing. Direct to disk recordings with no master tape , no mix down , the super expensive turn table , stylus and cartridge. And after time, all vinyl has the sound of a cracking fireplace in the back ground . Any form of recorded memory that spins is not much better than a lacquer 78 RPM record . And yes vinyl sounds so much better when stoned !

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only bad thing about collecting vinyls is how much of a bitch it is to move...

View attachment 513961

True, as well as how much room they take up if you have a large collection.

In my last move, where I had to seriously downsize... In the process, my back just ached thinking about moving my collection of 17 18"x 12" crates of vinyl. It took up a whole wall. In my haste I checked some prices online, and took a few batches to used record stores, and found out I was not gong to make much money by selling them. So, I sold them all. I saved a few precious imports and rare vintage albums, but, since I sold my Technics SL-1200 turntable, etc., when I moved, I finally sold or gave those away, too. I was both sad, and mad that I got so little money out of them.

The day I finally let go of three last favorites -- (A 1979 UK EP compilation of new punk and post-punk songs, the classic Marlene Dietrich album, Live at the Café de Paris, (with a mint condition, framable cover), and a bootlegged album of former Television frontman Tom Verlaine's original mix for his first solo album, Tom Verlaine.) -- I went to a coffee shop, and low and behold, they started playing that very Tom Verlaine album! I got up and asked them where they got it?... Was it a CD?... No... They were playing it from Pandora.com. Later, at home, I found that punk EP on Pandora, too, and didn't feel so sad anymore. I realised that I was mostly attached to the album covers, themselves, and I don't mind not having to take care of vinyl anymore... And, I'm really glad that I won't have to move them ever again.

A/B

Last edited:
Reactions: ronin001

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I counted over 40 milk cartons full of albums when we moved in. And I made the mistake of setting them upright and had to endure a 15 minute lecture on how they needed to be horizontal. I'm not arguing for either side. Just thought that was the way they were supposed to go.

The kicker is when we unloaded umpteen number of banker's boxes filled with CDs. And most were copies of the LPs!?!? I haven't had the nerve to ask because I didn't want another lecture.

I'm happy with my iPod full of music. My ear is not that refined.

Three turntables? Really?