Virginia Tech: Straight White Males Welcome!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: Hey, folks -- anyone want to hire an experienced teacher with mad computer skills?? I'm looking...

--------------------

The Virginia Tech Board of Visitors held a meeting while the campus community was on Spring Break last week. During this meeting, they took three drastic steps that overwhelmingly chill the climate at this already-conservative university:

I'm encouraging folks to write the BOV and complain -- especially if you're Virginia Tech alumni:

[tt]John G Rocovich, Jr.
    Rector, Board of Visitors,
    Virginia Tech
    Blacksburg, VA 24061[/tt]

I'm currently bound by a contract through June, 2004. I've made the decision to definitely leave at the end of the contract. If I can make sure that I can do so legally, I might even leave before then.

This really really sucks. :(

2. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    That definitely sucks, mindseye. I'll send them a little note to let them know what I think of their decision.

I'm not sure what's going on... In Minnesota, lawmakers are planning to drop domestic-partners benefits for state employees (or maybe they've already done it - I'm not sure). They said that because of the budget crisis, they "can't afford it." What a crock! Why don't they cut EVERYBODY'S benefits equally?! I really thought that gays and lesbians were gaining more and more equality, but I guess I was wrong. :(

3. Imported

Gold Member

miniver_cheevy: Dear Mindseye,

I just wrote and posted a nasty (not too nasty) letter to Mr. Rocovich. I didn't mention your name or anything (of course) so don't worry. I can't believe. Come move to Boston. It is very decent up here compared to the black depths of ol' Virginie.

Bill

4. Imported

Gold Member

miniver_cheevy: I am also posting it to some DC boards that I know. Dang, this kind of stuff makes me steam. I'll bet anything he is a fat, SUV-driving slob and the only hope for these guys is death.

5. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Heath, I forwarded your post to lots of friends, so Mr. Rocovich will be hearing from plenty of outraged people: gay, straight, male, female ... even a couple of Rpublicans! I wish I knew of a job opening down here at Tulane for you! (If you did find a job in New Orleans, you'd be more than welcome to stay with Dirk and me 'til you found your own digs, bud!)

6. jonb

Gold Member

This doesn't surprise me. There's been a recent push to make the rich WASP hetero-male look like the victim.

7. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Marko-

From what I hear, living in W Wisconsin, the MN budget bill with the same-sex benefits removed is likely to happen just that way. I think it's a crock too.  I know plenty of married homosexual couples that are a LOT more stable and deserving of benefits than some hetero couples I know.

As for VTU - well, call me Yankee smug up here in 'Sconny, but - what does one expect from a bastion of the "Old Dominion" (kidding - no state is exempt from being the governmental equivalent of a jerk, as the North Star State can attest to)....in all seriousness, best of luck to you Mindseye, I hope you find someplace that is more accepting and deserves your talents.

I know I went to a Catholic university where one of my tenured professors was a gay man. Given the religious affiliation, THAT surprised me.

7x6&C

8. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    I live in Roanoke, VA so these policies have been front page news, and I have absolutely problem with the affirmative action programs being cut, because its discrimination, its treating someone different based on their gender or race. Discrimination is wrong, and I believe that everyone should be required to get in on thier own achievements.

9. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: I'm not completely in agreement with you, Neal, but I respect that viewpoint.

Two breaks in the story occurred yesterday.

1: The last measure -- the one that requires all groups wishing to assemble on campus to obtain written permission 30 days in advance -- was struck down as (obviously) unconstitutional.

2: Although the other three measures currently stand, the Univeristy has called for the Board of Visitors to reconvene on Sunday, April 6, to reconsider them.

10. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Neal, I agree with you that everyone should be judged on their abilities and not on their race or sexual orientation, but I DO think it's very important, if for nothing more than symbolic reasons, to state that the University does not discriminate against any group.

Even if they don't list every conceivable group, I think it's important to at least say that the university believes in equality for everyone.

11. jonb

Gold Member

Well, here in Cali, they recently ruled that even advertising in Ebony is racial preference. For some reason, advertising in Guns and Ammo isn't.

12. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: In the face of overwhelming opposition from students, faculty, alumni, corporate donors, and other interested parties, the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors today -- by a margin of only one vote -- rescinded all of the policies that were established on March 10.

There's still work to be done here, but for now, I'm happy.

13. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    :) That's great, mindseye. So does this mean you're going to continue working there, or do you still want to get out of Blacksburg?

14. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: I'm still leaving -- my contract won't be up for another year anyway. Even though we 'won' on this issue, the way that it happened -- even the fact that it happened -- is pretty distasteful to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted