Virginia up to its old tricks illegally collecting MORE tax revenue

tonsilwrecker

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I lived in Virginia for several years and, you're right, it is about money, but everything has a pricetag, so, realistically, it has to be about money. This is the price VA residents pay for Govenor Gilmore's ridulous repeal of the personal property tax. When you eliminate $3 billion in annual revenue, you have to make it up somewhere. Ever since, VA officials have been scrambling for revenue for roads, bridges, and public transit. I guess the voters didn't see this coming in the '90s.

The repeal of the personal property tax on vehicles in Virginia was long overdue. Why not move to more consumption-based taxes. There's already sin taxes on booze and cigarettes, as well as the lesser sin of fuel taxes on drivers. Why doesn't Virginia fund the Birth Injury Fund with a diaper tax? How about funding elementary school costs with taxes on children's clothes? Well, these last two are absurd, but you get my drift. The double and ongoing taxation of personal property is a crime in an of itself IMHO.