Visual boards

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been going to therapy for a month now and during time I sat and listened with great excitement. I must she has told me a lot and how to stop over thinking. One of the things i was told is to do was write down my goal and dreams on a board what i wanted and needed to accomplish. Rather it was dating or whatever. So, I did exactly that. I went out to the store (Dollar Tree) and got me 2 white poster boards and started writing all the goals i want to accomplish no matter how small or big it and yes some of them are not realistic, but hey a boy can dream right.

One of things were (as instructed by my therapists), was to go out and speak to 3 different people, rather it was in the grocery store or laundry or even when i am jogging. I did that and it felt great and I felt like my confidence went up a bit. This was to help me build confidence. I wrote down so many HOW TO GAIN CONFIDENCE TIPS on my Visual Board.

So, feeling good about myself. I decided to take it a step further and update my profile of Plenty of Fish and searched profiles of local guys and i asked him out. He said yes, and we had 3 dates that spanned 3 weeks, but it ended, but that's ok. Now in the past i would have said screw it, I am done. Not this time, so i did the same thing a few days later, but got rejected..cool, so i am still looking.

I think these visual boards has really helped me figure things out along with my therapists and I had it in me all along, but i just needed a good swift kick in my ass. I have been boosting my confidence and I am using some many of these visual boards my apartment wall are half covered with them.

Do any of you use Visual Boards?
Did it help you or do you say i don't need a board to know what i like.

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
good%2Bfor%2Byou.jpg

alcor972

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
lol...
bill balloon man...
hello kewlkid...
and good evening mr balloon...
kewlkid...
I could have used boards like you... not to define my goals though... but rather to write down interesting things I would have checked all around me during a given period of time...
this must be due to the great intellectual pleasure I feel when I observe my close environment...
I like letting various sensations coming from different origins building ideas in my brain... so that... at last... a kind of goal may indeed emerge from the way these sensations have evolved inside me...
so... since the possible goals I could elaborate seem coming from what I see... hear... smell... taste and touch... external sources rather than internal sources... I have to insist on these external sources... and write them down on the boards... lol...
now... lol... even with this consideration... I could hardly maintain a regularity in my writings on the boards... because I am somewhat lazy...
*sigh*... oh noooo... lol...
and it's generally a real and sometimes painful... lol... challenge for me to write about what I observe... and I have to do substantial efforts to initiate for the least any description...
lol
thank you kewlkid... and I hope you have a nice summer time... if you're in the northern hemisphere of course... as I suppose you're currently in florida in the first place...

Reactions: kewlkid75 and BillM

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
lol...
bill balloon man...
hello kewlkid...
and good evening mr balloon...
kewlkid...
I could have used boards like you... not to define my goals though... but rather to write down interesting things I would have checked all around me during a given period of time...
this must be due to the great intellectual pleasure I feel when I observe my close environment...
I like letting various sensations coming from different origins building ideas in my brain... so that... at last... a kind of goal may indeed emerge from the way these sensations have evolved inside me...
so... since the possible goals I could elaborate seem coming from what I see... hear... smell... taste and touch... external sources rather than internal sources... I have to insist on these external sources... and write them down on the boards... lol...
now... lol... even with this consideration... I could hardly maintain a regularity in my writings on the boards... because I am somewhat lazy...
*sigh*... oh noooo... lol...
and it's generally a real and sometimes painful... lol... challenge for me to write about what I observe... and I have to do substantial efforts to initiate for the least any description...
lol
thank you kewlkid... and I hope you have a nice summer time... if you're in the northern hemisphere of course... as I suppose you're currently in florida in the first place...

Hello alcor972,
Thank you for the support and great response. I decided to do the visual boards because my therapist said it would help me out and I also journal any and everything that comes my mind. Then I read the back and say to myself "what was that all about or something positive, depending on the day and situation". I use visual boards to write down A lot positive affirmations and anything that I can think of.

Thank you, summer in Florida is humid, hot and evening rain. I live in North Florida, so we expect the wild weather.

You have a fantastic summer and keep doing those boards, they help.

Reactions: alcor972

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Never heard of visual boards. I have heard of list writing and just writing in general. The thing is to get those merry-go-round thoughts out of your head. Doesn't matter if you accomplish everything but I think it has to do with giving yourself a pseudo "other" person type thing. It's like talking to a therapist is helpful but there is work to do besides just talk. You have to take action to get those new brain pathways stronger. If it's working for you, great! Keep doing it.

Reactions: alcor972 and BillM

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Never heard of visual boards. I have heard of list writing and just writing in general. The thing is to get those merry-go-round thoughts out of your head. Doesn't matter if you accomplish everything but I think it has to do with giving yourself a pseudo "other" person type thing. It's like talking to a therapist is helpful but there is work to do besides just talk. You have to take action to get those new brain pathways stronger. If it's working for you, great! Keep doing it.

I have never made one however I know many people that have and they do work!!http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Vision-Board

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I thank you for your reply and appreciate the kind words. To me they are not trying be someone else. I am still me, only with more confidence. To me a visual board is simply poster boards you can get them any where. These are not merry go round thoughts. They are pure and simple a visual reminder for me to keep up my good work and continue to be positive.. I do go out and talk to others and have learned a lot over the past few months.All thanks to therapy, some think it is hokie, but not me. Where I usually would sit home on weekends and do nothing. I finally got out of my shell and went alone and mingled. I ate at a restaurant by myself alone. Things I would never do before. I am making strides, all be it small, but I am doing great. I will keep doing what I have to do to be mindful and still get out more.

Thank you for your support.

My mom used to have all sorts of motivational/inspirational quotes taped to her bathroom mirror, around her little arts and crafts room, and to the fridge. I never really questioned it though, as far as purpose. It was just something she did. I don't know if it was for mental health or for what.

For my own mental health stuff, I never tried visual boards. I did (and still do) 1 year, 5 year, and 10 year plans periodically. I have day to day goals, but with how I process stuff also having long term goals helps me out. Even if I don't achieve it, it's still something to work on. I guess it might be a negative to some if they didn't achieve everything on a ___ year plan, but I consider myself and life a constant work in progress.

Whatever is helping you though is all to the better. Sounds like positive/good stuff :)

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My mom used to have all sorts of motivational/inspirational quotes taped to her bathroom mirror, around her little arts and crafts room, and to the fridge. I never really questioned it though, as far as purpose. It was just something she did. I don't know if it was for mental health or for what.

For my own mental health stuff, I never tried visual boards. I did (and still do) 1 year, 5 year, and 10 year plans periodically. I have day to day goals, but with how I process stuff also having long term goals helps me out. Even if I don't achieve it, it's still something to work on. I guess it might be a negative to some if they didn't achieve everything on a ___ year plan, but I consider myself and life a constant work in progress.

Whatever is helping you though is all to the better. Sounds like positive/good stuff :)

Thank you Fade,
I grew up in a family where it was all about work and going to school. Things like visual or vision boards were not accessible to me. Growing in a small town, I never seen more of the big picture until i moved away to go to the Navy.

I am too a work in progress (some days are better than others), just like in yoga. I can stretch and feel no pain and some days i barely can touch my toes without pain. With that being said, I have a plan and it is a day by day plan and i just have to learn to shut off my brain and stop thinking all the time(hard to do sometimes, but doable). I appreciate you kind words and positive feedback. Like anything, i just have to be patient(gosh knows i am working on that), and persevere. I am well and i will get through this despite the naysayers.

You have a fantastic and positive day.