Vitamin d deficiency

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay so my doctor tells me that I'm vitamin D deficient so I'm to start taking supplements. I've learned that you can get vitamin d from the sun. Since summer is approaching, I plan to spend more time outside but don't want to be outside too long because the heat in Texas is brutal. How much time should I spend outside in the sun a day and which natural foods are rich in Vitamin D?

spouro

Sexy Member
Media
Spend 15min under the sun every day, also try to eat more salmon, carrots etc. However from my personal experience I can say that I had to take supplements even though I was living in a sunny country and spent time outdoors every day.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Spend 15min under the sun every day, also try to eat more salmon, carrots etc. However from my personal experience I can say that I had to take supplements even though I was living in a sunny country and spent time outdoors every day.
Thank you for the advice. I'll try to make good use of my time outside and will manage to spend at least 30 minutes outdoors. I'd rather get my vitamin d naturally from natural food sources and the sun. I read that supplementation isn't absorbed as good but will also try supplementation.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
For vitamin D that 15 minutes in the sun is uninterrupted and without sunscreen. If you stay out longer cover up and use SPF50 on exposed skin. Remember that it takes up to 30 minutes after you apply sunscreen for it to bind with your skin to get its full protection.

Nor do you have to expose your entire body. Bare arms and legs (e.g. from wearing shorts and a tank) is plenty of surface area.

Read labels. You want both UVA & UVB protection.

Reactions: HOU_HEADHUNTER

Supplment with 10,000 iu a day of a emulsified vitamin D liquid...it’s impossible to get enough vitamin D from the sun to regulate our physiological processes.

Supplment with 10,000 iu a day of a emulsified vitamin D liquid...it’s impossible to get enough vitamin D from the sun to regulate our physiological processes.
And you want your D levels on blood work no lower than 70 with 90-100 being optimal clinically speaking

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
10,000iu a day? That is a huge amount, eh? Did a doctor suggest that much? Just wondering....

It’s a lifeguard in sun all day dose. I’ve learned it through my years treating patients.

But is that a healthy dose to take?? Lifeguards in the sun all day without proper sun screen can be dangerous later in life, eh?
Yes it’s healthy. You want you vitamin D no lower than 70 on blood work and around 100 to be optimal. Taking that much a day is very safe, in fact I’ve put people on 50,000 IU per day for weeks at a time. Sunscreen is a chemical toxin, much worse than what the sun could ever do to you

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes it’s healthy. You want you vitamin D no lower than 70 on blood work and around 100 to be optimal. Taking that much a day is very safe, in fact I’ve put people on 50,000 IU per day for weeks at a time. Sunscreen is a chemical toxin, much worse than what the sun could ever do to you
Thank you for all of the great feedback. My Vitamin D was below 10 and I am on 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks. This summer I will be out in the sun more often also.

Thank you for all of the great feedback. My Vitamin D was below 10 and I am on 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks. This summer I will be out in the sun more often also.
Wow! 10 is the lowest I’ve seen. Get to at least 70 which will take about 6-8 months doing 10,000 iu a day

palmer

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'll throw a kettlebell around in the back yard for 20-30 min shirtless to get a workout in and get some sun. If only this damn pollen would knock it off, but I know it's just the beginning in Texas.

Tak
I take 5000 iu per day. But remember it's a fat-soluble vitamin, so take with milk or cheese or whatever healthy oils in the daily diet.
take it with coconut oil or avocado, casein and lactose in dairy is very inflammatory. Also take it at nighttime when the liver and gallbladder work the best from a Chinese medicine stand point

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Tak

take it with coconut oil or avocado, casein and lactose in dairy is very inflammatory. Also take it at nighttime when the liver and gallbladder work the best from a Chinese medicine stand point
great idea. I take my vitamins and minerals before bed so that they are in my system all night and more chance of absorption into the body.

upstatebiguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I live in a cloudy area, and I'm not in an outdoors job. I had chronically low Vitamin D (between 10 and 22 units). I ordered 10,000 iu unit pills through Amazon. My doctor had me take two of those a day (one in am, one in PM) for six weeks. Brought me up to 88 . Just ensure you get a blood test every 8 to 12 weeks to monitor if you are taking 10000 or more in a day.

RowanB

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
wow, had no idea so many people were having vit D troubles. Here in the UK we don't get much sun, so we're all (atleast, myself and my friends), on Vit. D supplements along with all the others. I've never tested my levels, but after reading the responses above I'll definitely look into it.

I will say though that I can definitely feel a difference if I don't take Vit D for a while. I become very cranky, lethargic and prone to depression if I go a few weeks without it and a distinct difference is obvious a few hours after taking thereafter.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
wow, had no idea so many people were having vit D troubles. Here in the UK we don't get much sun, so we're all (atleast, myself and my friends), on Vit. D supplements along with all the others. I've never tested my levels, but after reading the responses above I'll definitely look into it.

I will say though that I can definitely feel a difference if I don't take Vit D for a while. I become very cranky, lethargic and prone to depression if I go a few weeks without it and a distinct difference is obvious a few hours after taking thereafter.
Yeah I am the same way. I simply told my physician that I was having bone aches and she knew that she needed to check my vitamin d. I figured it was just me getting old and the aging process but low and behold my results came back and I was very deficient. I did research to see what it helped and there are a lot of things that vitamin d fight against.